“Clean, well organized, big resort” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Decameron Beach Resort, Golf & Casino

Save Saved
You added Royal Decameron Beach Resort, Golf & Casino to your Saves list
Royal Decameron Beach Resort, Golf & Casino
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Avenida principal Farallon, Km.115, Farallon, Panama   |
Ranked #1 of 4 hotels in Farallon
“Clean, well organized, big resort”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

This is a good all-inclusive option if you are traveling outside Panama City.
The staff was helpful and nice at all times, the facilities were very convenient, and they have many swimming pools around the resort.
Rooms were clean and confortable, I suggest to request pool view.
About the food, it was good, some of the restaurants had better menus than others.
My favorite part was the resort club, it was a small open space hut, with great music & ambience. Sometimes, once a week they offered grill lobster for dinner near the club area.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

2,478 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
Eugene, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We stayed at the Royal Decameron for 19 days from Nov. 9-28 and had a good time. The rooms are average, the food is OK and the pools are very nice. We ate and drank at the buffets and a la carte restaurants and always found something good to eat, but it wasn’t spectacular. The beach and resort grounds are probably the most appealing features. Because the ocean is pretty calm along this stretch of coastline it’s fine for wading and swimming but not favorable for wave sports like boogie boarding and surfing. The water is also pretty murky so we didn’t bother to bring snorkel gear. Because of the resort layout, large size, and building locations expect to do quite a bit of walking around. There is a significant elevation difference between the upper lobbies and buildings and the lower beach and buffet restaurants so expect to climb stairs or inclined walkways multiple times during the trip. Fortunately, a shuttle service runs between the upper and lower parts of the resort if you need a ride. A word of caution: during our visit we saw numerous people both young and old having trip-and-fall accidents - some due to inebriation or poor footwear (ie. flip-flops), some due to slippery poolside tiles, but mostly due to lots of uneven steps and other tripping hazards. Be extra careful and wear good footwear during your visit!
Some information that would have been useful to know in advance is that the hotel has internet kiosks ($10 per hour) and wi-fi service in the three lobbies ($) and a beach side fitness center, among other things not listed on the hotel website or in our travel brochure. Getting to the hotel can be a challenge if you don't have a tour package that already includes bus service. We booked round-trip bus transport through the Decameron Explorer company ($48 for 2 people) but had to wait nearly 4 hours in the airport for a delayed flight from Colombia to arrive. Since it was just the 2 of us waiting and a group of about 20 yet to arrive they weren't about to head toward the resort without more paying customers. Once we finally arrived at the resort and checked in around 2:30 am we didn't get all the necessary information in the arrival packet, including towel cards, so we had an additional hassle of signing some forms once we requested beach towels. Make sure to get towel cards when you arrive, and have them with you at check out!
There are numerous excursions offered with the Decameron Explorer company and we chose the City and Canal tour that lasts a full day. A good portion of this tour consists of bus travel to and from Panama City, but the tour guide spent the entire time talking about the history, politics, economics and ecology of Panama so it was very informative. Lunch was extremely tasty at an upscale restaurant and we especially enjoyed the museum and opportunity to watch ships passing through the Miraflores locks. Highly recommended trip! All in all it was a very enjoyable trip and pretty good value for our money considering the cost of other all-inclusive resorts in Panama.

Room Tip: The beachfront rooms in Building 13 face the giant Colibra tree that is illuminated at night. Make...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

My husband and I thought this was an excellent all-inclusive resort - and we've done many. It is big, beautiful, good service, good food and a great beach - all the things one looks for in an all-inclusive. It is a great base for exploring the country a bit. We discovered this little gem up in the hills called Rancho Los Toros Hotel and Hostel. If you drive on the PanAmerican highway for about a half hour til you see the sign for El Palmar beach, the road opposite to it (away from the beach) is the road to Rancho. It is owned by an American, Joe, who cooks at the amazing restaurant and wine bar there. He has an AMAZING wine cellar and even does gourmet wine tasting dinners once a month! Anyway, he'll take you on a tour of his 30-acre property if you ask him - he loves to show it off, I think ;) You'll get amazing panoramic views of the mountains off in the distance and there's a lovely river there as well. Oh, and we peeked in the rooms - nicest hostel I've ever seen! And the hotel part has a great pool area right in the middle! Anyway, we spent several hours there and Joe regaled us with his stories of Panama - it was the highlight of our trip. Another fun night out was to a little town called Gorgona. Someone back home had told us about Locos Backyard Grill. When we first pulled up to Gorgona - about 45 minutes down the highway towards Panama City - we wondered about our decision. It was NOT nice at all!! Dirty and lots of garbage. But once we drove into the town, it was nice - quaint with lots of traditional Panamanian homes. But not much else - except for Locos. It is one of only two full service restaurants in Gorgona. The owners, David and Stephanie, both stood and greeted us as we pulled up and were delightful the entire evening. The main part where the big-screen TV is is very small, with only a bar and a few tables. But out back is a lovely backyard oasis with more tables. The food was worth the trip! Best burrito I've ever had - and HUGE! Also the best chicken caesar salad I've ever tasted (not sure why, probably the seasoning on the croutons and chicken). We were rather delighted that we could get a bucket of beer! It was such a fun night. I recommend anyone looking to get off resort for a night or two to try one or both of these places (although keep in mind Locos is only open weekends, starting Friday night at 5 - we're told they also have great breakfast burritos on Sundays). It's not that much by taxi and they'll know where to take you.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort McMurray, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

First off, to understand my point of view, I will tell you that I have traveled extensively in Mexico and Cuba, also to places such as Hawaii and Barbados. I have stayed in every type of accommodation from "casa particulars", right up to 5 star resorts.
So this resort ranks right up there in my books. The location and grounds are just beautiful... no one can dispute that. Extremely clean and well kept although I will admit the rooms are getting a little dated. Once you see the rest of Panama you will understand just how clean this place is kept! Also, considering the climate and size of the resort (long walk just to get a cold drink) it would be nice if all rooms were equipped with a little fridge. I found the service to be very good and although I read reviews that said hardly any of the staff could speak English; that was not my experience. Every time I had to approach staff with a question I was lucky enough to find one that spoke English or quickly found someone who did. Many of the complaints that I read about here prior to my trip, in my opinion, could have been averted with research. If you don't want to hear Spanish, don't go to Central American countries. If you don't like to walk, pick a smaller resort. If you don't like heat, go to Alaska. If it is too secluded for you, then stay in the city.... and so on.
The only area that frustrated me, was in the restaurants. I found the food to be a little lacking in variety and abundance, considering the size of the resort. And switching restaurants didn't help in my opinion because it was just more of the same. (and I am a traveler who actually likes the food in Cuba) Also, I found the other people staying at the resort beside Canadians, whom I am told were Panamanians and Colombians, to be extremely rude lacking in manners. As if eating at a buffet is not frustrating enough, I constantly had people banging into me or my plate and not even excusing themselves. I had some really bad experiences there especially with the younger people.
I did not see the casino or disco so I cannot comment on that. But overall it was a beautiful, relaxing place and the staff were very accommodating. I had a wonderful week there.
As for things to do there, again with research you would know that it is a little secluded and most tours take a longer bus ride for that reason. I took a "local" bus into a little city called Penonome to do a little shopping and exploring. I did an organized city tour to Panama City with Manual of Decameron Tours who was an awesome tour guide - so knowledgeable and a very nice person. Rented a bicycle and took a little ride into the local village. There are many other interesting day tours but I saved them for my second week in Panama, which was not at this resort.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We were at the resort for 5 nights (on a combo Nolitours package). The grounds of the resort are very nice, the beach is great, there are lots of beach chairs and chairs around the pools. Lots of staff. Rooms are fine - not spectacular but large, clean and comfortable. The food wasn't great but I wouldn't expect fine dining in any all-inclusive - especially one this large. We did have a couple of excellent meals at the al-a-carte restaurants. The buffets for breakfast and lunch were large and a lot of variety. The weather was great - one downpour while we were at the beach - fun to get soaked. There are a lot of bars, lots of pools, really quite a good resort.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Salisbury, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We got back to the US from Royal Decameron on December 24, 2012. I don't think a lot of the people submitting reviews here travel to the Carribbean very much or they would change their mind. You are in a foreign country. If you want to be accommodated like in NA then travel in the States and Canada.

The resort is beautiful and very clean. Our room in building 12 was cleaned every day and the staff were seen washing their hands at the bars, restaurants, etc on a regular basis. The main language in Panama is not English. I dont expect foreign visitors to converse with me in the US in their language so when we travel we try to converse with them in their language.

The experience of travel is to try other cultures. This includes the foods prepared there. The Thai and Kontiki were excellent. The buffet was clean and fresh food was served. The seafood restaurant was horrible. The steak was good if you knew what to order. The drinks were off brand liquor and the wine seemed a little weak. We had no real problems with the food. There is a good beach restaurant within walking distance Woodie's that everyone should stop by for a visit. The are in the process of moving next door but they are still open. Great food there and they can arrange tours at a reduced rate for you.

The beach vendors are slightly annoying but that is everywhere in the island atmosphere. If you like the cigars the cigar man sells get them then. He is not there everyday.

We travelled with a large group and had no problems acquiring restaurant reservations, beach chairs, towels, etc. You may want to take some large plastic cups with you for drinks. They will fill them for you unlike some all inclusives that only allow the small drinks cups to be filled.

There were very little bugs there so we used no bug repellent but take plenty of sunscreen because it is hot! Also it rains just about everyday so if you dont like to get wet be prepared.

It is a long ride from the airport but the drivers like to show you around on the way and they like to stop mid way for a drink stop . They are building a new airport right at the resort's entrance road that is suppose to be finished in 2013.

We enjoyed ourselves here and had little complaints. Mainly the distance from the airport and there is not a lot of off premise places to eat, shop etc without heading to Panama City.

Room Tip: Ask for building 10-12
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Vernon, BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I can't believe I had forgotten to write my review when I came home from my two week trip to Panama, shame on me. My girlfriend who lives in Manitoba was wanting to experience a long over due opportunity to take a vacation somewhere warm. I not sure she had bargained for as much warmth as we got. We travelled to Panama Feb 28/29 and stayed until March 13/14. We had different arrival and departure days due to living in different provinces. The hotel accomodated us and it worked out beautifully. I have stayed in a RDC in Mexico and have to say that the resort here in Panama is run very similar which is okay. This resort is very very large and after a day or so we figured it out for the most part. Sadly we did not realize where the swim up bar was until our last full day there together. This was very bad for me as I was not very smart about protecting myself from heat stroke. If you are drinking and swimming in the pool (top level towards the end of the resort is the swim up infinitiy pool) make sure you wear a hat on your head to protect yourself. I had to travel home quite ill and was in bed for two days once I got home.There are 3 main larger buffet restaurant facilities at this resort and several al a carte restaurants. Sadly it has been almost 10 months since my trip and there is no way I can recall and or give decent feedback on the al a carts. There is one that flips a switch half way through the evening and serves different food and I believe changes its name. We had thought we were returning to an al a carte we really liked and got something completely different. Being there for 2 weeks you get to experience things more than once if you choose too. The one that serves seafood, was very good. The others I could of gone without I suppose. To be honest most nights I had three different theme buffet restaurants to choose from. This is the bonus of staying at such a large resort. Think of the resort in terms of pods. There were three main buffet buildings and in and around them are specific pools and bars. As far as the accomodations go, it is Panama, some of the buildings are aging. There are buildings on the lower section of the resort and face the beach, but if your noise sensitive I would not be clamering to get one of these buildings to be honest. They face the main sidewalk that remains busy until late in the evening. People are moving about the resort on this sidewalk and if they have been drinking there is no promise of peace and quiet. Many do not like having their room on the top level of the resort because of the climb up the stairs and or roadway. I actually was very pleased to be up at the top. There are two rows of buildings up top and back to my pod theory there are three main reception buidlings that coincide with the lower pods areas. You will get this once you are actually there and it will all make sense when you apply my pod theory. I stayed in a building next to the Lobby 2 and was thrilled to be there. We had a ground floor with walk out patio. We had our friends the peacocks that lived around our building. We were close to Lobby 2 as I mentioned as well the Infinity pool in the middle of the resort that had a snack bar attached to it. Great pizza and other snacks during the day. It does turn into an al a carte at night. We had some issues with our air conditioner, it was brutally hot while were there (again be smart and wear head covers if you go near the end of Feb, you are only 9 degrees north of the equator and this is their summer ending). The staff and housekeeping were always working hard to keep it running for us. They use freeon in their country and so they had to continually fill the main freeon storage pump to keep the air conditioners blasting. The excursions are fun, we absolutely loved the under the canopy zip lining trip and highly recommend it to anyone. I was absilutely terrified as I had never zip lined before and they got my feet off the ground and away I went and loved it in the end. We also did the Carls Jungle trip, which we booked privately with this company and would never do that again. The owner and operator tried to say we ripped her off of some money this after she went on and on about gas prices going up after we had a committed price with her in email. That to us and a few friends we met here on Trip advisor was poor business practise. We gave her more money to make up what she felt we did not pay knowing we were being rippred off. Pay back for us was not to recommend them again to anyone. Anyway I digressed, the Carls Jungle excursion I cant say enough about, if you can go, go and I know you will love it. You get to see the canal, monkey island, kayak in the jungle, dive in a waterfall pool with these little fish that nibble/bite..lol at your toes, see amazing and hold amazing jungle animals like these precious night monkeys, big boa snakes and feed Tucans and have a great lunch. Overall, there is so much to say and not enough energy to type it all. One main caution, there are these nuts that grow on trees (cashew nuts), please please if you are travelling with children or you are like us and curious, DO NOT open these nuts, They are full of this natural acid that can burn your skin like you would not believe. Ask the locals to talk to you about how the Cashew nuts is harvested and how they carefully manufacture the acid from the shell. There is also another nut that falls from the trees over by the third lower pod area towards the Disco. They look like they have these interesting insides that you want to touch. Don't do it!!! They are these sharp spiny needles that sting like heck. Our lesson while in Panama, do not touch unless a local guide lets you know its okay. My girlfriend experienced some acid burning on her face from the acid shooting out of the cashew nut and then also got stung by those needles in the shell of a different nut. The last amazing thing I must say about Panama is their fruit. You will taste some of the most amazing fruits including thier pineapple while you are there. Make sure you load up at breakfast. We liked the breakfast buffet best at upper level Lobby 1, they had more variety that you did not see at the other two buffets on the lower level. I am seriously thinking about a return visit with my daughter this coming winter. For me to return somewhere is a good thing as I do not believe in going to the same place twice as this world is far too big for that!

Room Tip: If you dont mind the walk up the hill to your room, we loved our building closests to lobby 2. You a...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Royal Decameron Beach Resort, Golf & Casino? Share your experiences!