“I was glad I was leaving” 2 of 5 stars

You added The Purple House International Backpackers Hostel to your Saves list
The Purple House International Backpackers Hostel
Calle C Sur y Avenida Sexta Oeste | San Mateo, David, Panama   |
Quebec City, Canada
“I was glad I was leaving”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

The Purple House is clean and comfy, but it's really awkard to be staying in the house of someone who doesn't really appreciate the presence of strangers there. Every time you look up somewhere, you see a new rule. I stayed there 5 days in total (in and out) and in the end I was exhausted of being watch for every movement I made. I felt like it would have been better for me to be something like a ghost. Also, the price for a night was 7,77$ but I had to pay 5$ just to stay there until my night bus, which is absolutely ridiculous.

The owner is a nice lady, but I think she's done with that. Purple House may have been the number one place for travelers during the past, but now it's time to move on I guess.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
ComeToPanama, Owner at The Purple House International Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, November 10, 2011
On the one hand this reviewer admits to having stayed for a total of 5 nights, but on the other hand, he doesn’t seem to have enjoyed himself very much. Why would someone keep coming back night after night if they felt so uncomfortable?

We have mentioned several times before that The Purple House is a backpacker hostel, not a personal home. As such, we have a few simple rules such as no drug use and don’t let the dog out of the front gate. If those standards of behavior are bothersome to a particular guest, then they are probably right to move on to a different place.

We think it’s quite reasonable to charge $5.00 for the use of all our facilities (showers, internet, kitchen, coffee, common room, etc) when a person chooses to wait until 12:00 midnight for their night bus. (Especially considering our check-out time is 11:00am in the morning…)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Twisp, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

This is run by a lovely lady who is very helpful. The rooms are nice and reasonable priced.
The location is quiet and easy to get a taxi to and is walking distance to resturnats and stores.
A small place but very comfortable.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
ComeToPanama, Owner at The Purple House International Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, November 11, 2011
It was so kind of you to take the time to write a little bit about your stay with us. We really appreciate it and have fond memories of you too!

We wish you much happiness in your travels!
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

room is ok, was pretty hot but guess that is just david. common areas are pretty homely. however, with the homeowner around watching your every movement it feels a little more like big brother. the owner had serious trust issues, having a go at us for leaving a laptop unattended in the dorm, asking if we really trust the people in our dorm that we have just met. she also made a point of escorting the night porter/handyman into the common bathroom so he wouldnt steal anything. its a real shame when a business owner cant trust their employees. i was also not allowed to view the book exchange as my book '1984' was not considered a 'classic'. having said all this it is not a terrible place, it just has an incredibly weird vibe created by the owner. I really don' think she enjoys it.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
ComeToPanama, Owner at The Purple House International Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, November 8, 2011
Thanks to this reviewer for raising the issue of security and theft in backpacker hostels.

We have been extremely lucky to have experienced only a few problems involving theft at the hostel. Without exception, these occurrences were the result of an unwitting traveler leaving their valuable item unattended, and a dishonest traveler seizing the opportunity to take the item. That’s why we offer free locks, free lockers and friendly reminders when we observe risky situations. Unfortunately, even with all these precautions, things happen on occasion.

Our employees and day workers are our trusted friends and extended family. When they notice valuables lying around the hostel they ask us to accompany them in the area (to avoid being falsely accused of a theft if it should occur).

In our many years of industry experience, we find that most travelers always seem to appreciate our efforts to keep the Purple House secure, and are certainly not offended by it.

Regarding the book exchange, we actually do consider the classic book “1984” to be a perfectly fine item for exchange. We are not sure why this reviewer just didn’t go ahead and leave it and take another book from the open shelves…

Happy and very safe travels to all of you!
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

During my fathers stay at the Purple House he collapsed with Pneumonia, I talked to him on the phone and knew he needed help fast. I called the front desk, told Omar my father was old and sick he needed help. Omar went to the room still on the phone with me, I heard him say, “he's really sick, I'm calling an ambulance”. Dad was taken to the hospital and my brother and I needed to get to David fast. Andrea [the owner] helped me with my travel plans, she had a cab waiting for me in Panama City to transport me to the next airport across town and she made flight reservations to David. This was huge because I do not speak Spanish. Omar brought my fathers dental bridge to the hospital and visited him everyday even after we arrived [such a sweet man]. Andrea dropped by a few days later to see if we needed help with anything including travel for our return home. I am very touched by the help and genuine concern by these wonderful people at The Purple House. My father is doing well now, thank you so much.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

David it's self is a bit of a stop-over city. By this I mean it dosn't offer a lot to the average tourist except as an arrival/departure point. The purple house is excellent for the one night stop over or the longer term stay. With a helpful host, more tourist information that you could possible absorb, laundry, clean rooms, and everything you could possibly want in walking distance this hostel was exceptional.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
ComeToPanama, Owner at The Purple House International Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, August 25, 2011
It was really nice of you to think of us after so many months and to take the time to write a review. Hope you are doing well!
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

My friend and I stayed for 3 nights in a private room. The place was really clean and so were the facilities. The bed was comfortable - and you really learn to appreciate that when travelling! There was free and fast WiFi as well.
The place is withing walking distance to everything you need: Supermarket, Restaurants, Casino's, ATM etc.
If you need any information, you will get it here: ask Andrea or just browse the fully packed info-desk.
Sure, there are the rules... but if you just know how to behave, they never will really bother you. So we just overlooked them and didn't get into troubles :) And yes, extra-costs apply for TV, AC, Hot Shower - but at least I can decide what I want to pay for, there are other places where everything is included in a much higher price.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
ComeToPanama, Owner at The Purple House International Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, July 7, 2011
Thanks so much for the thoughtful review. It was a pleasure to have you here!
garybenton@gmail.com
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011

I love dogs. I spent the first 15 years of my life with my dog Tippy. However, my wife is allergic to dogs. When the dog at Purple House jumped on my wife, and then jumped on me, I pushed it away with my leg. "Did you kick the dog?!" said the owner. Her next sentence was, "I don't think this is going to work", and she escorted us to the door.

I could go into a lot more detail, but it seemed clear that the dog is more important than the guests. Either we let the dog jump on us, or we don't stay. We had to agree with her that it wouldn't work out.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
ComeToPanama, Owner at The Purple House International Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, July 12, 2011
This person wasn’t a guest, he was a person coming to look at a room.

Within seconds of looking at the room he kicked our dog Cute-si hard enough to make her yelp and cry.

We quickly (but kindly) suggested that he move on to a different place more suited to his budget and other requirements.

Been to The Purple House International Backpackers Hostel? Share your experiences!