“Wonderful stay, wonderful staff.” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Green Season
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Baltimore, Maryland
“Wonderful stay, wonderful staff.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

My friend and I had a wonderful time staying here. You'd have to be an over-demanding snob to not like this place. The lady who ran it (I'm sorry I forgot her name, it's been a few years) and her son are both adorable. They picked us up in a golf cart from the airport which was nice. We were taken on a quick, informational tour of the island and shown our room. The room was clean, pleasant, and bright and we were given enough food for breakfast for a few days. My friend and I booked a Sunset room which only had one bed but they gave a very. very comfortable sleeper mattress so I slept on the floor and it was perfectly fine.

There was a common room in the rear with a piano/keyboard, games, and books. There's not a place to eat or drink at Casa del Sol but there's not a whole lot on Contadora period. We just rented bikes or a golf cart and tooled around by ourselves. We never had a problem here and paid waaaay less then other people on the island we were talking to. I don't remember there being a pool but when you have miles of beach who needs one?

I'll definitely be back to Casa del Sol if/when I come back to Contadora.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Panama City, Panama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at Casa del Sol and had a wonderful experience there. We are experienced travelers and learned a long time ago to go with the flow. If you are a very high maintenance traveler, like the previous reviewer, maybe Isla Contadora, and even Panama as a whole, is not for you. Isla Contadora is a place to go and experience the beauty of the environment, not five star accommodations and dining (though we did have some great seafood at Restaurante Gerald). When we arrived on the ferry, we were surprised, but certainly not disappointed to find that you must take a small shuttle boat from the ferry to the beach. Luckily, we were only traveling with two small tote bags so the transportation was a breeze. The owner was waiting for us on the beach and took us for a tour of the small island before we checked into our room at the B&B. How gorgeous! Isla Contadora is truly paradise. I can see why the owners of Casa del Sol made the move here from Germany. It was so helpful that they spoke English, Spanish and German as there were many German guests at the hotel as well. Our room was ready as soon as we arrived and was very clean and lovely. The AC was a definite bonus. Certainly there was no infinity tub or flat screen TV, but as I said, Contadora is a tiny, rustic island. Expecting anything else would be silly. For our two day stay we rented a mule from the owners and they gave us a fantastic discount for being guests at the hotel. Casa del Sol is located in the perfect spot for traveling to various beaches- all of which are beautiful. The mule also allowed us to drive around and check out the fabulous mansions on the island, too! We visited many of the island's cute and quaint restaurants and even ran into the owner of Casa del Sol at lunch and had a meal together. She was very friendly and helpful the entire stay.

As a side note, we hired a young man from Saboga to take us out on his boat for a tour. We visited some of the uninhabited islands and went snorkeling- it was so fantastic! If you are able to appreciate the beauty of nature and leave your "1st world problems" at home, then Isla Contadora is an amazing place to vacation. My husband and I definitely recommend Casa del Sol if you plan on visiting the Pearl Islands- it was a delightful experience for us and definitely the best value on Isla Contadora!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
new york
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

The appearance of this property in the images are quite deceiving and the service that others claimed to have received was not really what we experienced. (we stayed in Casa Ken)

Let me be clear, we have luxury expectations and choose better end travel but this was awful. You are thinking island casita...think more Motel Six (after a trucker used it with a working girl).

We arrived on Contadora Island by ferry and Anke, one of the property owners, was not waiting with the other welcomers at the shore but up the beach where we had to drag our luggage (after carrying it over our heads in the water which you have to do if you arrive by ferry). Anke did have our luggage brought to the home while we waited to check in for 3.5 hours. The Kawasaki Mule they gave us was in pretty bad shape but functioned once you figured out the quirks.

Now for the home. Dirty sheets that smelled like smoke. Stained bedding. leaky air conditioners that soaked the bed while we slept. The bathrooms smelled like BO and the other smelled like a musty gym sock. At first we had no hot water followed by no water at all. Peter, the other owner, was helpful but this is not what we paid for. On the day we had to check out the manager was knocking on our door at 8:30 in the morning to start getting us out (who wants to be woken up at 8:30 on vacation?

The washing machine leaked everywhere and water was all over. I really don't understand what the owners are thinking...with minimal investment for decebt beds and bedding, some cable TV, and perhaps some normal towels. this place could be ok...Over all it was a smelly place that reeked of people cutting corners.

On a positive note the maintenance guy was really nice.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

My fiance and I stayed at Casa del Sol for 2 weeks.

Firstly, Contadora was the best part of my 4month trip where I have been to some really beautiful places like Thailand islands, Paris,The Caribbean, and more. The island is small, quiet, relaxing and full of beautiful beaches. The snorkelling is amazing. You can see so much by snorkelling around the island but also in the area are many other untouched islands so hire a boat and spend the day snorkeling around these islands too. The people at Casa del Sol can help you organise that and anything else you want to do.

We stayed in the bed and breakfast sunset room which was clean and had everything we needed. There is a good bathroom, a closet, a fridge and plates, cups and cultery. The AC worked perfectly and there is also a fan. There isn't a TV but we liked that.

The staff are so lovely and helpful. We found people in Panama city to be a bit rude but on the island everyone is friendly and will often say a hello (Buenas) to you as you walk around.

There isn't much choice for restaurants on the island but the food was pretty good. We are vegetarian and it was harder for us to find anything to eat. We basically had a choice of salad, pasta or pizza.

Note: bring enough cash with you because there are no ATM's on the island and no easy way to get cash.

Room Tip: There are 2 bed and breakfast rooms. I think the sunset room is bigger than the sunrise room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
clarksville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

The host, Peter, was waiting for me at the beach with a sign when I got off the ferry. He gave me a tour of the island on his golf cart; showing me all the beaches and places to eat. I got an early check in to my room. It was really nice. No TV, but I was not there to watch TV. I did not need the AC because I had windows, screens and ceiling fan. There is a "cash bar" fridge with breakfast food, water, beer and wine. When I left, Peter drove me back to the beach.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

At Casa del Sol you will experience the best customer service on the island. We stayed at the apartment. This was by far one of my best vacations so far in my life. Peter is the most sincere and honest host I have every encountered in my travels. He represented his rentals 100% accurately. I will always rent from him when traveling to Contadora. I highly recommend Casa del Sol. You will be pleasantly surprised, you can rest assure of this. We had the best accommodations for visitors on the island. You need not look any further; Casa del Sol is you best option when traveling to Contadora!
Vince from Arizona

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Panama City, Panama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Our weekend plan almost fell apart when we missed the ferry to Contadora, but the owners of Casa del Sol came through for us by contracting a local fisherman to come in his panga boat to pick us up. Pangas are not the most comfortable, but the ride was magical: we saw whale, sea turtle, and a pod of friendly dolphins swam with our boat! We rented the villa; which comes with everything! This rental would probably be best for a family with older kids (ours are young); as the house comes with cruiser bikes, fishing poles, stand-up paddle boards, and more! We didn't use any of the above; but did enjoy the driving and exploring each and every island beach with the included 6-seater mule! When we went out for a proper whale watch tour one morning, we were not disappointed either! All in all, a great weekend despite some occasional wrenches due to weather!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Casa del Sol? Share your experiences!