“Island get away” 3 of 5 stars

Vilseck, Germany
14 attraction reviews
“Island get away”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

I took my wife to Panama for our honey moon in January 2014. We stayed in Panama City for seven days. Two of those days I took her to Visit the island. I visited the island three times once in 1996, 2011 and 2014. If you go during the weekends it is more busy. The parking fee is five dollars compare to 3 dollars in 2011. The boat ride is $2,50 per person compare to 2 bucks in 2011. We passed by Portobello and the old fort seems finished with the renovation. We ate at the Congo restaurant and the food was good. They are slow when it is busy. Overall nothing much has changed. It us still a bit trashy at the parking and the beaches. We enjoyed going there during the week days. Less traffic and people. My wife like the rustic feeling of the island. We did noticed there were jet skis for rent at one of the hotels.

Visited January 2014

A TripAdvisor Member
“El Nido del Postre”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

My girlfriend and I traveled from New York to Panama and then on to Isla Grande. On the first night the accomodations were not the best, to say the least but the beach was wonderful. While walking along the beach front we walked by El Nido del Postre and noticed how well taken care of the place was so we ordered dinner and enquired if they had any rooms available. By chance, a group was leaving so we snagged a room. The atsmophere is incredible and the food........to die for. My girlfriend and I eat out at the best restaurants in New York at least 3 to 4 times per week and if Olga Ahrens of El Nido had a restaurant in NY it would be our favorite for sure. The staff are pleasant and make you feel like you are a very welcome quest. I would give this place 10 out of 10 for sure.

West Orange, New Jersey
“Amazing trip to Isla Grande”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

My family (includes my 15 year old daughter) took a fantastic day trip to Isla Grande in Colon district of Panama. Our guide was Chris Fernandez from Panama Fishing Tours (507-6876-9548 was fantastic. He speaks great English and very friendly and accommodating. We went on a week day in March 2013 and the island was empty. The boat ride to the island was memorable in beautiful clean water. The island is gorgeous. We went up the lighthouse which gives a great view over the island. Overall a great day trip

Visited March 2013
Philly
25 attraction reviews
“Weekend place for Panama City dwellers and some tourists”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

The small beach is fair but I imagine very crowded in regular season. The water was fair and a few fish to be seen, but not terribly clean. There's a little restaurant bar right there that is part of the near by hotel, and there are several more exclusive hotels hidden away. We had a nice beach day though, then made our way through the village which had many small restaurant/bars which we're told can get quite rowdy. Went all the way out to Hotel Sister Moon which looked like a really cute fun place to stay. We ate lunch, good, but a little pricey, and they let us use the pool!. Watched surfers braving the breakers, and went up the hill to the lighthouse for a stunning view. The lighthouse is gross, but the view is worth it.

Visited August 2013
Miami, Florida, United States
“Caribean water”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Everytime I visit Panama, I tried to visit Isla Grande in Colon. You can find the Island in about 2 hours from the city. You have to park your car in La Guaira and then take the ride to the Island. The water is absolutely beautiful, warm and you can also find a restaurant on the water, where you can have some beers, order food and jump in the water while waiting, and trust me, it will take a while. The food is good but the seafood will be according to the season so, don't expect to find variety. You can spend the day, (is better during the week to avoid crowds,), walking in the sand, meeting new people or simple relaxing. Any way you choose to spend the day, it will be an experience.

Visited September 2012