“Stayed a month and will return!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Isla Verde Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Boquete
Isla Verde Hotel
You added Isla Verde Hotel to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   Calle 2 Sur Bajo Boquete | Behind School Josefa Vasquez, Boquete, Panama   |
Ranked #7 of 29 Boquete B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“Stayed a month and will return!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

My stay at Isla Verde began with some skepticism since I read over all the reviews first in Trip Advisor, and I very much appreciate the feedback from all guests and the responses from the respective hosts as well.

I have to say that reservation problems appear to be something of the past. I found management was very fair in their reservation policy, all clearly available online, and I experienced no problems at all. In fact, I found management to be liberal and much less stringent with advance deposits and cancellation policy than other places I explored.

Sabine and an apprentice in tourism from Germany who jointly managed the day-to-day affairs -in 3 languages no less- catered to my every request swiftly and professionally.

I experienced no issues with security. Nothing went missing in the unit, and that includes what I kept in the safe.

The one issue that did not get resolved with my accommodation involved a weak WiFi signal from one of the 4 routers at the resort that was to provide that service at my unit (casita Gamez). However, I was able to get the full signal just 50 feet from my back door within a small geodesic enclosure in the center of Isla Verde's beautiful garden that also had a small bar and a place where breakfast is served for those who have that included in their stay. (You might need a small headlamp if you are working at that garden spot at night as lighting is limited there. In fact, I highly recommend that one brings such a head lamp with extra set of batteries -the kind that leaves your hands free. Do this on any trip to a 2nd or 3rd world country. The head lamp I had that bicyclists commonly use also gave me security when walking the roads in the village at night.)

You will also find an excellent health spa and world class registered massage practitioner working right at the Hotel in a small studio there. Mark will give you a 5 star massage, acupuncture treatments, hot stone therapy, and a myriad of other health and beauty treatments for an amazingly moderate rate.

The location is perfect. Everything that the lovely village of Boquete has to offer is within just minutes walking time. There is a bit of traffic on the road leading to another huge resort, but I never found the occasional traffic noise to be an issue. However, if you are sensitive to noise or the occasional exhaust smell of vehicles, ask for one of the units closer to the small river on the property as opposed to the road.

The owner who introduced herself to me and made me feel like I was a member of her family within a week informed me that she will soon be opening a restaurant in a larger building at one end of the property. This is bound to be a huge asset for those who appreciate good food as much as first class accommodations. I expect the same high standards will apply in the restaurant as these do for all of Isla Verde.

Note: If the humidity level (which is actually not that high, given you are 3500 feet above sea level and not on Panama's humid coastline) or if anything else is not quite what you expected, just ask management and they will do whatever they can to please you. That, at least, was my experience.

I would add that the owner was very open to my recommendations about how I thought she might make the little house I rented even better. The recommendations included enhanced WiFi reception, screens on a few windows, a small blue bag or blue box for recyclables in each unit, and some other additional safety measures -all of which are being taken under consideration I was informed.

Isla Verde lives up to its name in another way that merits special mention.... The owners and managers are clearly leaders in Boquete to help protect the environment. They have included a pamphlet in their guest book from Boquete's local recycling committee (ReAl Boquete) so we know what to dispose and what to recycle, and they have printed up explanations about how guests should place used towels, etc on the bathroom floor if these needed changing, and leave towels not needing to be changed on the towel racks. I explained to housekeeping that my bed linen only needed changing weekly, not daily. Housekeeping was done each day and the grounds were kept in perfect condition by the busy gardeners . So Isla Verde was green in more ways than one, and full of brilliant colors!

One final comment: For the reviewer who complained that one of the workers never smiled, I have to remark here that this is really silly and perhaps even a bit sexist. Women are always expected to be smiling in the services industries, but they don't get paid to smile; they should be rated and paid for their devoted and professional work -all of which I experienced for the month I stayed at Isla Verde.

Room Tip: Go online and carefully select the unit that best meets your needs. You will find descriptions and r...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We didn't have a reservation so the only room left was a little wood-shed type building with a loft bed that they called the 'wood house'. I got the feeling people only stayed in it when there were no other rooms available but still, we found it cute. Our bed was just so-so but I would've liked to check out the beds in the other cabins....I would recommend making a reservation to ensure you get a nice room. My only complaints are that I was cold at night (only 1 tiny blanket on my bed), and the temperature of the shower was extremely hard to control. The price was good ($70/night for the wood shed) and breakfast was great. The hosts were very helpful and the grounds were BEAUTIFUL- fruit trees and flowers galore. The walk to town isn't terribly close, but definitely not bad....probably about 7 minutes.

I advise you to avoid the Peruvian restaurant down the street though- not good food at all.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Montevideo, Uruguay
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I stayed in "Gamez", European-style chalet, cute as a button, and I lived in the breezy loft with a stunning view of the garden and mountains. The kitchen was wonderfully equipped with a full range of quality cookware, utensils and appliances, not the "bare minimum" so common in self-catering accommodations. The captain's bed was like sleeping on a cloud, especially with the Bajareque breeze wafting through the loft at night - haven't slept that well in eons. You're two blocks from the centre of town yet you'd never know it... except during the coffee and flowers festival in January, when the outdoor ballistic discos go non-stop till dawn - to be avoided at all costs! Any other time of year you'll be fine.

Room Tip: Gamez - best on the property!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
David, Panama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

They really put customer service first here. Clean, spacious, comfortable....cabin gives the impression of being small. These are large, airy, six-sided structures with the best designed bathroom I have seen in Panama - with actual hot water! Mini-frig and small stove, dishes, etc make eating out an option rather than a necessity. One bed in loft area, and one on ground level gives some privacy, yet allows open communication.
Mark, the head massage therapist, has a sterling reputation and followed up to ensure satisfaction after I received a massage from Dayra, who gave me a wonderful deep tissue massage.

Room Tip: The owner, Eva, takes a personal interest In her guests, so if you need something specific, let her...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at Isla Verde for 3 nights, during September 2012.

The place is calm & beautiful. The rooms are big and comfortable, and you have exactly what you need (small refrigerator, kitchen stuff and so on).

For couples and even for small groups (that doesn't need the backpack atmosphere), this is a very good place.

The only not positive thing that I can say, is that the staff are not so helpful, but that is really not important, as you can get along pretty easily.

Enjoy,
Karin y Oded

Room Tip: I view several rooms. All looked pretty much the same (there are different sizes, but their price is...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

Stayed in a cabin down by the river, first impression: very colourful and beautiful grounds. Central location, walk to the main street in 5 minutes. Professional and helpful service from German owner. Sabine was a real help organising our outdoor activities and answering questions. Breakfast is served in a glass prism in the gardens and is yummy: giant pancakes and fresh juice Or other options although you might get a cheaper option in town. Kitchenettes are rustic but spotlessly clean. You can cook in your cabin if you want to. Would stay here again. Little colourful gem of a place!

• Stayed August 2012
Greer, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

You won't be disappointed if you stay here. The grounds are beautiful and it is within walking distance of town. We stayed upstairs in Mariposa and the porch out back was my favorite spot. Don't miss out on a massage with Mark!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Isla Verde Hotel? Share your experiences!