Rotana is a new resort in Salalah, Oman. As of June 2014 when we stayed it was still very much a work in progress with many of the buildings still under construction and the major restaurants yet to open. That said the room was by far the nicest room we have stayed at in Salalah and instantly makes the local Hilton and Crowne Plaza resorts look cramped and outdated by comparison. The pool is also the largest and nicest pool in Salalah. Every staff member we interacted with was friendly and helpful. The buffet restaurant, Saffron, was above average but we would have loved the opportunity to try more variety and hopefully the Beach restaurant and fine dining restaurant, Silk Road will be open when we next return. The lobby coffee shop is good too and well worth a visit. When Rotana is completed and fully operational it will be the most beautiful and modern restart in all of Salalah.
+ Stunning resort on the beach. Beautiful grounds, canals, and pool.
+ Large, modern, well decorated rooms.
+ Service is first rate
- Location is great for relaxing but is 20 minutes outside of Salalah so plan to rent a car.
- Resort is still under construction and many shops and restaurants and services are not yet open
- Bizarre mini-bar policy and hidden charges can add stress to what should be a relaxing time
Issues? We did have a few issues during this stay. We booked a "Summer Special" and were told upon check in this included 20% off resort wide, complimentary breakfast buffet, and complimentary mini-bar.
Breakfast: We were initially charged for breakfast but the front desk made sure the charge was removed at checkout.
20% off: Some of this was automatic, others we had to ensure were deducted at checkout.
Mini-bar: When the bellman showed us the room he also pointed out the mini-bar, 6 cans of soft drinks and water and reaffirmed it was complimentary. We walked down to the beach and came back to the room to find the mini-bar empty with an instruction card to call for mini-bar service. The phone call proved fruitless so I visited the front desk where the employee discovered that this was the day the resort was changing their mini-bar policy. Fair enough, restock the min-bar and I'm happy to pay for any items we consume but that would not be the case. The mini-bar would only be stocked if we paid for ALL the items, even those we did not consume. Outrageous! Of course I refused. Then the mini-bar staff accused us of drinking 2 diet soft drinks, of which we had consumed none. In the end we paid for nothing because we received nothing. This new mini-bar policy is very bad and only drives guests to bring in outside food and drink instead of paying for what they consume from the mini-bar.
Beer, wine, & spirits: The resort features a large menu for drinks but sadly none of his was available when we were there. They did have 2 varieties of bottled beer and a red and white wine by the glass which was enjoyable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 5-star resort is set along the shores of the Indian Ocean with the famous Salalah Beach just in front of it. Salalah Rotana Resort offers 400 splendid rooms and suites that are beautifully built around the lagoons, water features and manmade canals for an unforgettable experience. The upscale hotel's Omani-inspired architecture features a series of clusters surrounding the main building, housing major public facilities and amenities. Salalah Rotana Resort is a scenic 20km drive from Salalah Airport. Salalah Rotana Resort offers individual Experiences tailored for couples, for families and to discover Salalah and the Dhofar region. Click here for more information about the Experiences at Salalah Rotana Resort. With its state-of-the-art facilities, Salalah Rotana Resort is the ideal destination for leisure and business travellers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Orbitz, Venere, Despegar.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Salalah Rotana Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.