My husband and I recently stayed at the Salalah Crown Plaza while on vacation in Oman. We had come to see the monsoon season and were debating staying at the Hilton, where we had stayed several years ago, versus trying this hotel. Due to its location closer to the city center, we picked the Crown Plaza. Unfortunately, we were disappointed with the property.
While the hotel is located in Salalah proper, the physical plant is antiquated. Our room remained damp and humid despite keeping the air-conditioner on high. Much of the wood paneling against the wall was warped, which indicated that this was a long-standing problem. In the restaurant, the cleaners waged a losing battle against keeping the rain from seeping underneath the patio doors. The tiled floor remained slick as a result, creating hazardous conditions. In addition, the food itself was far from what we expected at a five star hotel. We have stayed at multiple hotels in Oman in the same category over the years and had not been disappointed by a breakfast buffet until staying at the Crown Plaza. The pastry and bread tasted stale and for some reason, the dry breakfast cereals smelled strongly of smoke.
With respect to staff, however, the hotel shines. On arrival, the front desk manager thanked us for being Priority Club members and gave us a room upgrade even though we are not elite tier members. Throughout our stay, the front desk and housekeeping staff were helpful and courteous, as was the doorman. We took a tour using the tour agency located at the hotel, Samharan Falcon Tours, and our guide, Yousef, was probably the best guide we have over the course of our many stays in the country. We did have some laundry done during our stay and again found the service to be prompt and very professional.
With the exception of the hotel staff, whom we found to be outstanding, the remaining aspects of the property merit a 3 star rating. It was also more expensive than other competing hotels (Hilton, Marriott Mirbat) due to an extra 15 riyal charge for having more than 1 person in the room. When choosing to make a reservation here, I would pay close attention to the rate. If you can get it for the "Family and Friends" rate or on a Priorty Club "price breaker" award ( the hotel was recently featured on their list through July), it may be worth considering but otherwise I would wait until a full-scale renovation.
- Also Known As:
- Crowne Plaza Resort Salalah Hotel
- Crowne Plaza Resort Salalah Hotel Salalah
- Crowne Plaza Salalah
- Crowne Plaza Hotel Salalah
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Crowne Plaza Resort Salalah is situated in 45 acres of lush tropical garden, overlooking the Indian Ocean and on a long stretch of pristine white sandy beach. The resort enjoys an ideal location for Business Traveler's, Meeting & Events and for Families. Just 10 minutes drive from the Salalah International Airport, 8 minutes from the city center and 15 minutes from the Port of Salalah. All 153 rooms including 9 suites and the 19 three-bedroom family villas are stylishly well appointed and equipped with private bathroom, radio, International direct dial telephone, voice mail, interactive television including satellite channels, and mini-fridge. The Crowne Plaza Resort Salalah boasts of the only 'Green' 9 hole Par 3 Golf Course in Oman. The THREE meeting rooms at the Crowne Plaza Resort Salalah are tailored to meet the ever-changing requirements of the discerning travelers and meeting communities alike. The ballroom is equipped and caters to any social or business event, such as gala dinner, wedding, cocktails, meetings, seminars and conferences, product launches and more... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, IHG, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Agoda, Priceline, Hotels.com, Otel, Venere and Fareportal so you can book your Crowne Plaza Resort Salalah reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.