“Great food - if u don't judge this 'book by its cover'!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner
Dining options: Dinner
Dubai, UAE
“Great food - if u don't judge this 'book by its cover'!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011 via mobile

When were first ushered in by our server, I thought to myself: 'this is just a weird place ... I think ill go somewhere else!'. The place was empty (see below note) and the ambiance was a bit 'weird' - the decor and furniture just didn't match! The carpet was of many bright colours, that did not match the brown curtains. Also the modern carpet style, did not fit the type of furniture used. The room gave the impression, of a meeting room, rather than a restaurant - with no visible kitchen doors, and lack of servers. Also the music see-sawed from classical lounge to local rap ... Not a great start!

What I liked was the food menu was concise and to the point - this is a steakhouse: there are two meat sources, either USA or Australia and they had all meat cuts for both, Sirloin, tenderloin, rump, rib-eye, T-bone etc. With your order, you choose from many types of side sauces (BBQ, mustard, pepper and mushroom etc), a side potato item (roasted, french fries, wedges etc) and finally a side item (grilled vegetables, grilled asparagus, grilled mushrooms, creamy spinach, rice etc).

The Australian meat was not available, so we were forced to eat from the USA options. My wife ordered Sirloin, medium-well, BBQ sauce, wedges and grilled vegetables. I ordered the rib-eye, medium, Mustard sauce, roasted potatoes and grilled asparagus.

After our orders were taken by the only person available, we were offered bread and butter. The bread looked more like small biscuits, with an interesting one that was with rosemary on top. The problem was the bread was lightly fried, making them heavy. The chef also sent a chilled tomato soup, which was slightly too peppery for my wife's taste buds - I enjoyed it!

Then our luck turned - our main meals came - and what a glorious sight it was! My 225 grams, checkered grill-marked ribeye steak was sitting, facing me, on a bed of neatly lined grilled asparagus, with roasted baby potatoes was under the top of the steak, along with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar around the white plate. It was gorgeous! My wife's plate was of the same beauty and attention to detail.

A special toothpick with the word 'Medium' marked on it, did not fail to tell the truth of how this magnificent chunk of meat was cooked. With each bite of the steak, whether with or without the amazing sauce, was heavenly- I was just in love! What amazed me was how tasty the side options were! The asparagus grilled to perfection, and the roasted potatoes melted in my mouth. This was just divine!

The average steak was around RO 14.5(and meal), which is expensive, but in my opinion was of good value overall given the top-notch food quality and five-star cooking!

What started out as mediocre experience, ended being great one - chalking up another one for the old saying 'Never judge a book by its cover'!. I definitely would recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for high-end food in Salalah!

Note / Disclaimer: We had dinner there, during Ramadan season (a season when Muslims fast from food from dawn to dusk), which could account for the slow service and lack of people. It also accounted for the lack of wine options with your meal.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Salalah, Oman
“Best Steakhouse in OMAN (located in the Salalah Hilton)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2011

I was skeptical when I was told we had a steakhouse in Salalah because steak here just isn't like steak back home. But, I decided to give it a go. I changed my mind the moment I stepped into the restaurant. The entourage, the lighting, type of waiters.... This is something else!

The menu isn't very extensive but the steak is "world class". The amuse we were given while waiting for our main course also reminded us of the time we'd spent in Cape Town trying all the good restaurants there. The wine on the wine menu complements the steaks. And the waiters are well-trained and very friendly.

• Visited December 2010