“Average hotel - Noisy Construction Work and Poor Location” 3 of 5 stars

Al Falaj Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   PO Box 2031, Ruwi 112, Oman   |
Ranked #2 of 9 hotels in Ruwi
Pune
“Average hotel - Noisy Construction Work and Poor Location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

I was somewhat disappointed with my stay at this hotel. To begin with, it is located a fair distance away from downtown. The rooms are fairly good with a satisfactory level of husekeeping and cleanliness, and for the money spent, I can't say it's bad. However, if you would like to sleep in late you could be in for a rude disappointment; construction drilling machines start just outside your windows at 0800 Hrs, making it impossible to stay in bed. The staff is courteous but wont go out of their way to be friendly. The food is good but nothing to write home about. The New Zealand lamb chops were two pieces of extremely tough and fatty meat which I did not enjoy at all. The bar is open and alcoholic beverages are available freely, at a fair cost, and one can see a fair bit of activity late into the night. Being close to the port, the hotel has no dearth of business from seafarers joining and leaving ships, however, due to it's somewhat remote location it does not attract tourists. The wi-fi connection is slow, so although email is possible and browsing slow, skype does not connect. As a business convention hotel, it is an ideal venue, and the facilities cater to conferences quite adequately. You might like to visit the Indian restaurant which serves really good food, so that's a huge plus point. Overall and average hotel.

Room Tip: Noisy construction work starts at 0800 Hrs, making it rather inconvenient.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
alwasil, General Manager at Al Falaj Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear Sir
Thank you very much for the valuable feedback given to us. We are extremely disappointed to hear that you stay was not an enjoyable one. We are very much concern and we would like to apologies for the disturbances. We have just completed refurbishment of our rooms and bathrooms and some demolition work outside the building is still ongoing to expand Car park Facilities. The ongoing work will be finished in another one week and extreme care is taken to minimize the inconvenience to out valuable clients. The work is restricted from 08.30 am till 04.00 pm and on week days only. This will end by 10th of October 2013.
As for the comments about the food we have notified our chefs and he is thankful for the feedback so that the matter can be looked into.
We have looked into the Internet connectivity signals. Infract we have just completed installing new cabling system through our local provider with higher band width . In reference to your comments about the Skype, local telecommunication provider does not allow clients to use Skype connections.
We are very happy to hear that your room was good and it was up to your expectation. We have passed your comment to our housekeeping personal about the Cleanliness of rooms.
You may be interested to learn that the Hotel is located in the heart of the old City very close to many historical places and the Muscat Port. Close the main business district of Muscat. Infect walking distance. The Hotel has a reputation of being one of the leading tourist hotels in town and frequented by regular tour operators and shipping crew visiting Muscat.

Once again we do apologize for any inconvenience caused and we look forward to welcome you back in the near future and make you stay a memorable one.

214 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Oceanside, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

I stayed at the Al falag hotel to three weeks in September. Staff are very friendly and accomodating. grounds and rooms are small but clean although some updating is needed. The water temperature in the showers was never quite hot enough. The mattress has had its day, very saggy. Food at the restaurants was good although pricey, like most places here. The Indian restaurant and the Japanese restaurant are both nice. The Nuts and Bolts "nightclub" was not busy when my son and I strolled through. It would be a good place to get your nicotine fix because it smelled like a cigarette. The pub upstairs was Ok to grab a beer and relax. Nothing special there. The wi- fi at the hotel is a nice bonus. The lobby needs a a little more backround music, they have one beutiful short melody but it is played over and over. The staff at cafe were always very friendly at breakfast. The hotel is centrally located if you have a vehicle. Otherwise cab rides were anywhere from $5--25 to different locations throughout the city. There was some construction going on next door so I did get awakened by a jackhammer in the mornings at 7 am, not their fault I guess. Overall a decent value considereing the price.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for choosing Al Falaj Hotel for as your preferred place in Muscat. Your valuable feedback is very much appreciated by my Team. We are happy to hear that your stay with us was comfortable and was an enjoyable one.
The hotel is situated in the centre but for a traveler to go around one may need a taxi. The Hotel taxis are recommended and as the drivers are registered with the hotel But you may find plenty of taxi once you walk 200 from the hotel to the main street and price to be negotiated with the driver.
We have taken a note of your positive comments about the mattress in your room .You may be interest to learn that we have completely refurbished all our rooms and bathroom recently and we are in the process of upgrading our guest amenities too.

Thank you once again for staying with us and we look forward to welcome back next time you are travelling to Muscat.

Best Regards
West Calder, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I must admit to being somewhat concerned about an upcoming stay here after reading a very mixed bag of reviews on this hotel. However we booked it based upon a convenient location for business we were attending to and also on price.

So, we were pleasantly surprised at check in when we were warmly greeted and permitted check in early at around 11.00am in the morning. Not every hotel will permit that.

The hotel is quite old so you shouldn't expect a modern 5 star Crowne Plaza (which is available in Oman at 3 times the cost of Al Falaj).

The hotel has a pleasant and spacious lounge area, ideal for business meetings. It also has an outdoor pool which we had no opportunity to use so cannot comment.

My bedroom was good, obviously one of the refurbished rooms that are mentioned in other posts. It was a decent size with a comfortable double bed and a desk and chair for work. The bathroom had also been refurbished with new tiling, shower cubicle and all new sanitary ware.

A bit of an issue with the shower temperature and water pressure. If you turn the control to warm water, the flow dried up to a trickle so I had a pretty lukewarm shower on the first morning. To be fair, I didn't bother reporting the matter as I was only staying 2 nights and it wasn't a big deal for me,

However, on the second night, I discovered a leak in the bathroom (above the ceiling tiles) and the staff were first class. Within 10 minutes, someone had visited, inspected, arranged for me to move next door and helped me move, excellent service.

We had buffet lunch in the Souq Cafe on day 1 which was excellent value with a good choice. In the evening, we dined at the in house Indian Restaurant which we thought was excellent. Not cheap, but the food was so good we went back again the second night.

All told, it's not a 5 star Crowne Plaza so don't expect that. But it was a comfortable and clean, good value hotel with good restaurants and staff that I found willing to help when asked.

There is construction work going on next door but I wasn't troubled by it at all.

Room Tip: 401 was an end of corridor room and was quite spacious, I'm sure they'll have fixed the leak...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest
Our heartfelt thank you for taking time to write about us and our services. We look forward to receiving as many comments as we could get from our clients. This is the only way the clients can get to know about our services and standards. We highly appreciate your comments.
On behalf of the Team hear in Al Falaj I would like to thank you for patronizing our hotel and we are happy to hear the your stay with was a memorable one. I have posted you comments about the service given by our staff in the staff notice boards.

Thank you once again and please contact us directly next time you are in Muscat so that we could take care of your stay and make it a memorable one.
Goa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

I have stayed at the Al Falaj (Ruwi) thrice in the past month mainly in trasit from Muscat to Duqm
The hotel is presently under renovation and a bit of inconvenience should be expected while getting to the room.

Apart from that though the hotel is good, clean and comfortable.

The staff are helpful and eager.

The food is excellent in the Indian as well as the Japanese restaurant. The hotel also an excellent bfast buffet so that you are ready for the day ahead.

Definitely a place i would stay in to explore Muscat

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for writing to us when things are right. This is what we look forward to. Valuable feedback from satisfied clients. I have passed on your comments to our team and thanked them for looking after our clients.
Thank you for choosing Hotel Al Falaj as your preferred place in Muscat.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

The hotel is one of oldest hotels in Muscat. The place is quite peaceful. Rooms are spacious. Food is excellent specially the breakfast buffet. Very few hotels serve a good variety if dishes and I really enjoyed breakfast here. The poolside restaurant gave a chanting view and atmosphere at breakfast. The shower was not good but overall I enjoywd staying here.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Guest
We are grateful to you for giving us your opinion about our services .Most of all we are extremely happy that we lived up to your expectation.
Thank you once again and we look forward to make your stay an enjoyable one next time you are travelling to Oman.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We came here after my parents raved about it from their time in Oman in the 70s. The hotel is a little dated, sure, but it's so characterful and so much fun.

We ate in the restaurant and it was like taking a step back in time. Great food, though! And wonderful (almost deferential) service. My mum said that back in the day it was very popular with expats, and I can imagine that's still the case. I found it enchanting.

Parts of the hotel really do look a bit dated, but in my opinion that only serves to add to the charm of the place. It reminds you that it's been going a long time, which can only be a good thing.

I've never been to Dubai, but I expect this hotel embodies the opposite of that. A bit tired and worn, maybe, but it's certainly authentic, and I'd take substance over style any day.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for endorsing our service and writing about it. I am glad to hear that you have found our hotel somewhat charming and traditional. Yes we do keep it that way. The hotel has a traditional Omani look and hospitality and characters of the local architectures. The Restaurant which is called the Souk Café (In Arabic traditional Market) is recently refurbished and designed around these them to keep the local charm so that visitors can feel and enjoy the Omani Culture. The lobby has a similar Omani Interior Design and feel.

It is one of the oldest hotels in Muscat. It is a very popular and one of the leading four stars hotels for tourists in town. We have legendary Japanese restaurants. The only authentic restaurant of if it’s kind in town and also Indian themed restaurants for entertainment.

We are very happy to hear that your stay here was a memorable one .Please do not hesitate contact us directly if you are visiting Muscat again so that we could make your stay an enjoyable one.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

The hotel was clean, the rooms were spacious and the staff were friendly. There was a lovely pool , everything seemed well maintained. In the evening the bar opened on the top floor, it was often quite empty but beers (Fosters) were very reasonably priced.
Everything in Oman is quite spread out, the hotel is in the middle of a residential area, not within walking distance of anything. However, the taxi rank in the hotel car park makes this a bit more bearable. Expect to pay around 5 OMR to the Souk and Corneash.
I asked the hotel, through their management company in Sri Lanka, for an airport pick up as I was arriving quite late. Probably because of long 3rd party lines of communication this didnt come to fruition, so I had to get a taxi myself from the airport but this only came to 11 OMR.
Overall I enjoyed my stay at the Al Falaj.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
alwasil, General Manager at Al Falaj Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear Client

We are glad to hear that you stay with us was a memorable one. Our entire t team is delighted to hear feed back form our clients and we thank you for taking time to write about us.

I am sorry we were not bale provide you with a an Air port pick up. But please do get in touch with directly next time your are visiting us and we will defiantly do the needful to pick you up from the air por

Yes Muscat is spread out and the taxi fares are standard rates fixed to all destinations by Taxi drivers .

Once again thank you for letting us know your feed back and we look forward welcome you back in the near futures.

Kinds Regards

Binny Ramachandra

Been to Al Falaj Hotel? Share your experiences!