“NEW EXPERIENCE” 4 of 5 stars

Kozhikode, India
4 attraction reviews
“NEW EXPERIENCE”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I visited the caves in January 2012, The whole place is well maintained and the staff were helpfull with details, But to our disappointment the train service was not available due to maintenance work. So had to walk along the track but that too was enjoyable. Inside it was a new world and one can see and amaze at the rock formations, as imaginations go wild, we can compare the shapes with humans and some really look like Hindu God too. There is a small lake with blind fish. The same fish with eyes are at display at the museum, Good parking facilities and a restaurant is open there. But we had our food packed from home.

Visited December 2012

• Arabic first
Sydney, Australia
27 attraction reviews
“Closed Again.....”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Well it looks good from outside the locked gates, as I peered in with my disappointed young children. One day perhaps we will be lucky enough to visit on a blue moon when it's open.....

Visited August 2013
cambs
“will be very good when the train re-opens”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

excellent place to visit, educational and informative very good there is also a shop and restaurant on the site, ample parking and easily accessible

Visited May 2013
Cuneo
54 attraction reviews
“Closed now”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

I wanted to visit the cave but I discovered that it was closed.
The reason adduced was "service" which problably means "renovation".
They told me that reopening (insh Allah) is expected in July 2013.
Anyway, I noticed that the site is surrounded by a modern visitor centre.
If you go to the cave and find it still closed, I suggest you to go to the near village of Al Hamra where you can see ancient houses in Yemenite style (just a few minutes drive) or to Misfat with a very nice wadi nearby.

Visited April 2013
Oman
20 attraction reviews
“Always closed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

During the 6+ years I have been living in Oman, I tried quite a few times to visit Al Hoota cave, and all but once it was closed without any further notice of possible reopening.
If open, it is really a great place to visit, and there is even asmall but very interesting museum there.
But the appaling thing about the cave that they keep advertizing it in various media and deceiving people. It happened to me but also tho many others, that, attracted by the ads, we went there just to discover the lock at the main gate... I was told that the cave is a very sensitive ecosystem and thus requires to be frequently closed for recovery. I agree, it is very important to maintain the very rare and peculiar species living there, but those periods of closure for maintenance can be publicised and thus potential visitors could be spared from unnecessary waste of their time...

Visited March 2013