“Excellent hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Khasab
Warnsveld
“Excellent hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Nice pool. Quietly situated. Spacious rooms with balcony. Diving centre. Friendly and helpful staff. Great for excursions such as dhow cruise or mountain trip. Fruit supplied free of charge. For Khasab you need a taxi.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Arabic first
Maidstone, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

The Golden Tulip is a small, beautifully situated hotel in a small cove near Khasab, overlooking the beautiful Arabian Gulf against a backdrop of the stark mountains. We went there for a dhow trip (very enjoyable) but there is little else around, and many of the nearby indigenous communities are only accessible by boat. The rooms were clean comfortable and modern, with the tv, drink making facilities and a/c. The staff were friendly, all spoke English, and although there were not numerous, someone was always available. We had the buffet in the evening, which catered for all tastes and was delicious, and the swimming pool was big enough for a dip and a swim. Given the surroundings, location and culture, I think that the hotel catered very well for 'Western' visitors without being a faceless building that could have been anywhere in the world.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We traveled to Khasab by road from Dubai and right from the start, the alarm bells were ringing. No information was provided on how to cross the border (as usual in the UAE, stories abound about changing rules and regulations, most of them founded on fact) We managed to get through okay but the process is far from intuitive!
The hotel is hard to miss but as we drove up we could not believe that it has NO BEACH. I don't just mean, not a good beach, it has NO beach access at all.
No porter met us, we handled our own luggage. I had to extract information from the lady at the desk as to the what/where/how of everything.
We had special requested a soft mattress having experienced the upholstered boards that hotels provide as beds in this region, but guess what? not only were we not provided with a soft mattress, I could have broken coconuts on the slab they provided. We couldn't have stayed a third night as both of our backs were hurting by the third morning.
The room was 'ocean view' but even though the hotel was nearly completely empty, we were on the ground floor with no view worth speaking of.
The room came without milk, without beer or wine glasses, without bedside lamps (and the only table lamp provided had a different style of plug from the power points installed!) only one chair for the table outside and It had strong air-conditioning which was so loud it had to be turned off at night.
The service at the bar and restaurant was so lack-lustre and slow that you had to time the ordering carefully if you didn't want to be sitting with an empty glass when they delivered your partners order.
The pool was beautiful but once again, was let down by the staff. There was litter left by the loungers, I ended up putting some in the bin myself so badly did it mar the experience. I had to chase someone to get served a drink. The towels were not there when I went for a morning swim and not there when I went for an evening swim. l used a bath towel instead.

This is a lovely facility in an extraordinary setting but the place needs to be completely re-staffed with trained, motivated professionals. I found the Omanis to be very friendly and laid back but their ex-pat staff were very poor.
We ate there on the first night and the food was expensive but good. The second night, we headed into Khasab and ate at a local eatery. Let it suffice to say that this was the best Indian food I have ever tasted and the whole meal came to approx $25.

I gave the hotel two stars mainly for the setting and its proximity to Khasab which I adored. Otherwise the trip would have been just as good if we had slept with the goats by the side of the road.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the upper floors if you want a view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We stayed here for 2 to take advantage of a Dhow Cruise from Khasab and to do some snorkelling - impossible from the hotel as there was no entry into the sea. The hotel is missing a trick here! Food was average, a la carte was a little expensive but the staff were friendly and nothing was too much trouble. We were upgraded to a sea view room (from a mountain view) which was amazing. The hotel seems to be a stopping point for tours and was fairly noisy early in the morning as guests left to take part in activities!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

My wife and I and two other couples spent the weekend at the hotel and it was great. Staff not always efficient (nor are their IT systems) but it adds to the charm. However most of the front of house staff are very friendly and delightful. Thank you staff. Some staff could do with smiling a little more however.

Our only negative issue is the food; the quality and choice could in my opinion be improved. Rooms and beds very clean and comfortable.

We booked up a half day dhow excursion which was quite beautiful; my advice is... do it ! (careful if you hire snorkel tubes and flippers at the dhow jettty as they are very used and not the best quality and they cost lots of Riyals ! The snorkling tubes could do with renewal and cleaning so...take your own ?

Khasab is undergoing a renaissance. Great weekend away from the speed of Dubai.

Room Tip: Sea views are great !
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

This is no real reflection on The Golden Tulip Khasab, but wanted to express my astonishment when I received an e-mail from the reservations team at the hotel outlining that the Omani Ministry is taking over the hotel over the dates that I am due to stay (Eid) and that I am to a) change my dates or b) find alternative accomodation. This only happened a week ago and we are travelling in 4 weeks time. We come from the UK and have bought flights up to Khasab, overnighting in Muscat as the filght is only early in the morning to connect between Muscat - Khasab. Not only have we had our booking cancelled, but the Omani ministry has taken out the other hotels in the area and any guest house etc has been full over Eid for a while. A substitue hotel was given, but this was in the mountiains close to Dubai in the UAE - not even in Oman. We have subsequently had to forgoe our flights to Khasab, buy completely new ones elsewhere (Shalalah as it happens, so at the other end of the country) in a hotel that is more expensive but we have little option given the amount of notice we had.
I am in disbelief that the ministry are happy to remove all the tourists coming to their country for their own leisure and that The Golden Tulip have not offered to assist with re-location to any other suitable properties (not a mountain property when we have diving, dhow excursions and dolphin trips booked). I am both out of pocket and extremely cross / dissappointed about this and to be honest an not sure how much I am looking forward to the trip. Is this a common occurrance??

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dubai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I stayed here twice, last time being March' 12. The hotel is situated at a beautiful location. You will be amazed to see the dark blue see from the balcony. I suggest people to take the see facing room. Also, check with the hotel before to get the suite room which has bigger balcony and outstanding view. You may go for dhow cruise to see dolphins, I would suggest to go for half day trip instead of full day trip as you will be bored in a full day trip. Explore the restaurants in the main shopping complex area. You can try foods at Al Shamaliya restaurant after turning left from the roundabout in the main marketplace area.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Atana Khasab? Share your experiences!