“Its a shame a decent Chef works for poor excuse of this place...NO TIP INCLUDED!!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Cavo Cafe

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Cavo Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #140 of 487 Restaurants in Astoria
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek, Tapas
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Between 42nd and 43rd Streets
Transit: Take the R or M train into Queens and exit at the STEINWAY STREET stop. When you exit walk straight on Steinway, cross over Broadway and continue to the next light which is 31st Avenue.Make a right onto 31st and go up 2 blocks to 42nd street. We will be on your right.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

Let me start by saying we should have read the reviews on here and Yelp b4 going...being that I had been to this place so often a few years back, didn't think it was necessary. ..I was dead wrong! What a $#!t hole this place turned into!!!
I figured it would be a nice "Greek" dinner for my Birthday...and Hubby and I took our immediate fam. Now... knowing this place turns into a nightclub
we were sure to get an early dinner seating at 6pm...we walk into a completely empty restaurant to be seated at a table that barely seats 3...we were a party of 5!!! We tried to sit at our awkward oval shaped table but my husband quickly asked for a different table. The hostes blatantly rolled her eyes and quickly walked back to the entrance. ..we followed to be left waiting watcher her have a conversation with the "Manager" who came ti tell us that all tables are accounted for and that there were 329 reservations that night..WHAT...ARE YOU FRIKIN KIDDING ME...PLACE IS DEAD AND ITS 6PM!!! My poor Mother in law and granny got stuck at this ridiculous table. Whatever.... we sit...the booth sears have holes all over them...not from cigarette burns...but from stiletto heals piercing them duringttheir late night club shenanigans. ..look im all for partying at a club...but wow...management keeps the same seats out and doesn't make repairs for the diners??!! Our dingbat waitress came by and took our order...she was fair at best going mia when we needed things like knives and a fresh drink...food was actually decent...but portions got much smaller...and we have to beg to get more than 1 morsel of bread...whatever...never again. Its a shame. This place used to be great. But when the fish stinks from the head "MANAGEMENT" it will never work. 0 tip to show our appreciation!

• Visited January 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere

New York City, New York
“Bad Service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

This was my 3rd time visiting this place. I had no complaints till last Saturday. Me and my friends decided to have dinner at Cavo before it turns into a lounge/club. There was no problem in getting a table for 4. However when it came to the waitress service it was another story. We waited around 10mins for a waitress to just come over to introduce herself. At that point we had already decided on what food and drinks we wanted. Mind you, the restaurant wasn't even that packed due to the cold weather. Anyway we gave her our order and she went on her way. 2 of us ordered mojito's and 2 of us shared a wine bottle. The first round of mojito's came straight away however our wine bottle took a decent 10 mins to arrive. We had the wine glasses right away but no wine. Wine was excellent and also appetizers was good. When it came to my friends ordering the second round of mojito's the waitress was never to be found. And than when they did order another long wait for it to arrive. Plus one of them had to send the mojito back because the taste was off. Food finally arrived and it was good. Music was excellent but it was a bit loud especially while having dinner with friends. When it came time to get the bill again the waitress was never to be found. Finally the bill arrived and we sorted it out between us. We handed the bill to the waitress and she had the decency to tell my friend that we didn't leave enough tip!!! Are you frekin kidding me!! After waiting for drinks, food and waitress never to be found you have the nerve to tell us that! I am aware there are percentages in giving tips but at the end of the day you give as much tip as you want. I was beyond pissed and was about to make a scene however my friends sorted it out between them. My friend handed the bill to the server and she told her that the service sucked. She didn't even respond and walked off. We just walked out of the place. Personally I would not recommend anyone to go eat there. To stay by the bar & dance is one thing but not to eat. Never again.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New York
“Excitement in Astoria...?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We went for a regular dinner before the party atmosphere that takes over for the late night crowd, and being a rainy night on a Sunday, very few diners were there. Food was ok but salty - the short ribs were nothing to rave about and the special - grilled sardines - was ok but overly salty and heavy on the sauce. Supposed to be a Greek place but half the menu items are in Italian - get it right please! Not impressed, despite decent tuna sashimi appetizer.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New York Mills, New York
“Great bar and foods.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

The restaurant have a good foods and great people. After 11 pm have a dance around the bar.
Good service and comfortable atmosphere, great for romantic dinner and to party with friends.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Delicious Food but service was ehh...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I decided to go to dinner here one night with friends after a recommendation of a co-worker. The place is very nice. They have free valet parking which is always a nice touch since parking in Astoria is not the greatest.

As we sat down for dinner...we order some of their specials - bone marrow with a red onion relish and oysters on the half which were absolutely delicious! As for the entrees - a friend of mine had the skirt steak, the other was the red snapper special and I had a light appy of the grilled octopus as my main. All were very good....I cannot say anything bad b/c everything was very good.

The service was ehh...our waiter was nice but not attentive at all and the place wasn't even packed which made it even worse. Like some of the other reviews, for a place that was not so busy - they had a lot of staff all hanging out at end of the bar.

Overall, I would have given it a 4 star if the service was better because I did really enjoy the food.

• Visited January 2013