“Poor choice in Astoria. Go elsewhere.....” 2 of 5 stars

718-932-1510
Improve this listing
Ranked #62 of 479 Restaurants in Astoria
New York City, New York
“Poor choice in Astoria. Go elsewhere.....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

With a couple of old ex-New Yorkers, we went to have dinner at Elias Corner two days ago, for the sake of their nostalgia. And the experience was indeed nostalgic, but for the wrong reasons!

I had gone to Elias a couple of times years ago. It was then a fish restaurant, with a basic menu, generous portions of fish, some desserts, and overall nothing to write home about. Clearly something must have happened, since I could now only describe it as an "eatery".

It was a Tuesday night, at about 9 PM. There were only two large tables occupied by a birthday party, and then our table. We were not presented with a menu. We were told that we could select an appetizer, a fish, and the dinner came with dessert. We ordered a Greek salad for three, under the explanation that it was very large. It was large, but only for one person. The fish entrees were ok, fresh, no frills. They only had one dessert available. All that amounted to $40 per person, which was a ripoff when considering that there was nothing to it.

The service was pretty bad and it deserves a special mention. While our waitress was correct, at one point she disappeared and was being covered by another waiter. We requested more bread (standard bread) and, incredibly, he came back saying that they had run out of bread, only to be seen, shamelessly less than 10 minutes later, bringing abundant bread baskets to the other tables. He deliberately ignored my calls for attention, clearly knowing what I was going to say, and deciding to just ignore us completely.

As to decor and cash-only policy, I can only echo other posts here. Cheap stuff.

There are plenty of nice restaurants a few blocks away in Astoria. Try Broadway, or 30th Avenue, or Steinway. Take your business there.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Cheesy cheap with total lack of decor and how dare they don't accept credit. With all the money get. get some class all aroun”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

Plastic tables chairs and fish on the walls. The owner is do rude he does absolutely nothing to correct any problem or complaint. That might be why the servers are so nasty. They seat you like caged rats even when there are plenty seats available. I Wii give you that I love the food but.....no credit cards for a $100. Meal. How cheap can you get
I have seen people running around looking for a atm on the cold. Overall they should be knocked off their high horses and ho back to Greece

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
montclair, nj
“Fisheteria”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Unless you live across the street and the power went out, I can't think of much reason to travel to this place. We are supposed to be impressed that the fish is fresh. But do any very busy resstaurants serve fish that isn't? Preparation of the food is adequate and unimaginative, the service is begrudging, the atmosphere tired and dreary. Don't bother.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“fresh fish, terrible service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

I went there with a group of friends and enjoyed our evening on the terrace.
The food was really tasty, fwith a large choice of fresh fish.
The service was unfortunatly not good. The waitress and waiter were all rude and not helpful. We ask for recommendations, but they were not really able to help us.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
PR USA
“Simple is best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Reading the negative reviews below I am shocked that someone could not love this place, but I guess tastes are different. You can go to a fancy Manhattan landmark and pay lots of $$$ for lavishly presented portions that are tiny and impregnated with complex seasonings which mask the real taste of seafood. Or you can go to Elias corner. The taste here is as genuine as it gets: Just simple grilling in olive oil. I can't imagine why you would want to add anything tthat alters the taste of fresh (and I mean fresh) seafood. My 13 year-old son is a finicky eater and he polished off a big cod filet. Did I mention the portions are generous? The octopus my wife ordered looked like the Kraken. So, know what you want and if Elias Corner sounds like you cup of tea, then that ride on the N train is very much worthwhile.

• Visited November 2012