“Good food, good atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery
New York City, New York
“Good food, good atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

This family owned restaurant is a great location; close to the train station. The restaurant has a great relaxing atmosphere where you can eat at your own pace and enjoy good conversation. We had a fixed meal which looks small because of the plate but more than enough to leave stuffed.
I would definitely eat at this restaurant again. I loved that it was a family owned restaurant.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

89% Recommend
london
“Awwww Just like back in Cyprus”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My Husband and myself went to a Cypriot deli in Astoria and he recommended Zenon to us.
I have been craving Cypriot food
for ages and have been going to Greek restaurants to try and satisfy my Craving to no avail!
As soon as I entered this place I felt very emotional (My Father was a Cypriot I lost him two years ago) it so reminded me of the tavernas we used to go to back in Cyprus.
Friendly Owner and his daughter who welcomed us, lovely Cypriot music playing in the background.
The food did not disappoint either,we had the koupepia, (nothing like the Greek dolmades)
They were just like my parents. The tahini dip we call it tashee at home in our house was great,
I got very excited about Sheftalia delicious a lovely Greek salad and the ketthtedes all so authentic.
One of the reviews I read said small portions are they crazy we had so much food took it home and it again for dinner.
The Keo beer was ice cold and the glass chilled too.
We are Brits living in Hoboken and we are so pleased to have found this little gem, can't wait to go back.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New York City, New York
“Ambience of a greek taverna nice food and prices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

we went there very late in the evening and two of us order four appetizers and some wine.
the service was fast the food was very good the prices were reasonableand we love the atmosphere. I have been there for catering upstairs several times and this is my first visit to the restaurant area and I was not disappointed.sometimes wait for table can be long but that's a good thing. I would recommend this place.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
ct
“dissapointed and expensive for what you get in your dish”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We have eaten in other Greek restaurants in the area since one of us lives there and have never been disappointed. The Greek food in Astoria is really wonderful. Don't know what happen to this restaurant but we will not go here again. Since this restaurant had gotten good reviews we thought we would try it. 4 of us went here for dinner on a Monday night and it was crowded. It is very small inside and the tables are close together. We ordered appetizers and 4 dinners. We felt the appetizers were small and not very tasty. Spanakopita - Spinach Pie was small, Octapodaki - Octopus was tough, Tahini - Tahini Dip did not like and the Stuffed Grape Leaves were very small. The main meals were just OK. One dinner was pork and it was overcooked and very tough. The lamb and chicken dinners were OK but small for the price. We asked to substituent salad for the potatoes and were given a bowl of Greek salad instead of individual dishes and it was not enough for all of us. We think something was lost in the translation and because they were so very busy our waiter was overwhelmed. Overall we were surprised to be so disappointed.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Leonia, NJ
“Wonderful Greek Cypriot restaurant; worth the trip to Astoria.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

What wonderful, authentic Greek and Greek Cypriot food. It brings me back to my parents' Cypriot cooking when I was young. My daughter and I went there for lunch and I ordered Koupepia, which are Greek dolmades made with chop meat and rice wrapped in grape leaves, and my daughter had grilled chicken with grilled vegetables.. Look for the olive bread in the bread basket; you can also buy a loaf to take home. I couldn't resist ordering the Meze dinner for 2 as take out for dinner for my son.. When you eat it in the restaurant (rather than take out), they bring the assortment of food in waves, from lighter to heavier dishes. You start with salad and breads, followed by assorted dips like tzaziki, tarama, tahini, eggplant, then grilled halloumi cheese, grilled lounza (ham), then souvlaki, sheftalia, quail and more. All of this is $21 a person, cash only. You have to order it for 2 people and I always have leftovers. They have a liquor license if you want a drink. Traditional Greek desserts are extra, but very good. One note of warning: it's street parking if you go by car and they will ticket you if you don't feed the meter.

• Visited April 2013