i really like my stay in this motel/dorm, the price is very cheap that is why i did not expect too much from them but i fond it perfect for me - a budget traveler. here are my observations:
- very cheap, less than $30 for a tourist in new york
- public transportation accessible. either you use the bus M60/Q59 along astoria or bus Q69(preferred) along ditmas and will connect you to other bus or subway. using a smartrip 7 days unlimited is the best as if you can go anywhere at anytime without worries of the fare for a cost of $29 only.
- clean facilities: bed, toilet, hallway, and the common areas. no bad odor no bed bugs.
- queens areas is very friendly, everybody is willing to talk and help you.
- safe area even at night, be sure to use always the ditmas route.
- this is not a 5 star hotel that is why this is not a perfect for those people who is uncomfortable of sharing specially for a light sleeper, you can hear some acceptable noise from the highways and your roommates.
- the astoria blvd is not convenient and you will feel of unsafe as the hostel is facing a big cemetery. but if you use the ditmas blvd you will feel the other way around as if your living in a safe community like locals.
- no breakfast included but they are very kind to offer a free banana every morning.
- you can find more good hotel for the same price but near manhattan? i bet you cant..
if you can notice all the cons where properly address that is why i rated this as excellent and would highly recommended for a budget traveler like me.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.