“Nice resort, but...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Montelimar Beach

You added Barcelo Montelimar Beach to your Saves list
Barcelo Montelimar Beach
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Masachapa Road, Km 67. 5 S | PO Box 1262, Montelimar 1262, Nicaragua   |
Special Offer
Up to 10% discount
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Montelimar
Enterprise, Alabama
“Nice resort, but...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

On Dec 28 my family and I decided to visit this resort for the day. We were in Nicaragua for the week but staying elsewhere. First of all let me say that this is a very nice resort. The pool is HUGE and there seemed to be plenty of space for people to lounge. Although there were a lot of people it didn't seem crowded at all. There is also a beach area and hamocks and lounge chairs in the wooded area in front of the beach.
It would have been nice if there were umbrellas on the beach to go with the beach chairs but there wasn't so we were unable to sit on the beach but rather had to sit in the chairs in the shaded areas. They offered to food options; the snack shack located by the pool and a resaturant overlooking the beach area. We paid $65 per person for the day at this resort which I feel is extremely high because the food SUCKS!!. We do not eat buffets as a rule at home but this resort has buffet style in its restaurant. The food looks and tastes very unappetizing and people just let their kids go to the buffet unsupervised where they were sticking their hand in the food. I find this very disgusting and nasty. We just got something to drink and ate a few of the deserts which surprisingly were pretty good. The food in the snack shack was so-so. Burgers and hotdogs and the usual fare. The bread for the burgers and dogs had been left out I guess all day so that it was extremely hard. The "free" alcohol seemed to be watered down so as not to get anyone to intoxicated. The resort seems to be nice but if you are going just for one day; keep your $65 in your pocket and stay at the pool by your own hotel.

Room Tip: Although we did not stay here overnight, families with kids would probably enjoy this resort as we...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Polish first
Saskatoon, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

My husband and I spent 16 nights at the Barcelo Montelimar from Dec.8th -23rd. We knew beforehand not to expect too much. We got a really good deal so we went with very open minds. We arrived at 1 a.m. and the driver the resort promised us was there waiting for us. After an hour and a half drive, we arrived at the resort. The front desk was ready for us and our first disappointment was, the room I had requested was unavailable due to a broken air conditioner and we were going to be in another room until the next day after check out time, we were so tired by this point we really didn't care... The next afternoon, as promised, we were moved to our new bungalow which was very nice but, not an ocean view as I had requested. We decided not to make a fuss and settled in.
The buffet, which is the only restaurant, was ok, hit and miss. Some of the food was really good and some of it was horrible. We always managed to get enough to eat and the service was good. One major complaint is that the breakfast buffet never changed, it got a bit boring after a few days.
The grounds are spectacular and very well kept, the poor groundskeepers work very hard. They were always happy though so, they must really love their job!
The pool is nice, not enough loungers though... I would have much preferred to be on the beach but, there were no palapas and it was far too hot to sit in the blazing sun all day and too far away from somewhere to get a drink. It was 40+ with the humidex every day. The beach is lovely though and you can walk for miles and it's great for beach=combing!
I can't say that I'll go back to this resort but it is the only all inclusive in the whole of Nicaragua. In hind sight we should have stayed in a hotel in San Juan Del Sur.
We also found out that everything to see in Nicaragua is very far away from the resort, we got a driver from the resort at a very reasonable price for our excursions but most of the day was spent driving, and the traffic and roads are crazy so it can take a really long time to get anywhere.
All in all, we had a nice holiday, we made the best of the situation ......
Oh, by the way, make sure you brush up on your Spanish if you plan on going to Nicaragua, very few people speak English. We knew this before we went so, we went everywhere with our dictionary!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Chalk River, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

My wife and two teenage daughters and I just got back from Barcelo Montelimar beach resort on December 25 and we had a wonderful time. This was our sixth trip to the south; we have been to Mexico twice, Dominican Republic, San Andres and Panama and Barcelo Montelimar beach resort is as good as it gets.
First, the check in was the very quick and efficient. They gave us our resort packages at the airport and when we got to the resort they gave us our cardkeys, simple. We got to our rooms our luggage was already there. The rooms were exactly as described, spacious, good view, nice washrooms very clean, they even supplied housecoats.
Our first full day we talked to Frank who rents ATV’s on the beach and owns a bar in Masachapa, a village of about 4,000 2km from the resort. Frank arranged a tour of Masachapa with guys who own bicycle taxis. We toured the town and had drinks at Frank’s bar.
The second day we went on an excursion set up by the hotel. The highlight was the Masaya volcano. After a visit to the park information center we drove up to the top of the active volcano and looked inside. Words cannot describe what it is like to glimpse down into the center of the earth. Well worth the price of the adventure.
We took the bicycle taxis a few more times into Masachapa for shopping, it was limited but the prices were outstanding. Nice shirts were$ 2-$4, pants $5-$10. I bought 2 cartons of American cigarettes and two 1L bottles of 4yr old white rum for $45. The also have lots of Cuban cigars for very reasonable prices.
About the resort, the pool was beautiful, ground impeccable, beach was massive, the food was good, drinks were good, service great and the sunsets were stunning.
Overall the resort deserves its 4 star rating, if there is a slight negative is that there is very little English spoken either by the staff or the guests, although a lot of the staff has learned French.
If you are English talk to Frank or Shiloh who rent the ATV’s on the beach, they are two Americans who live in Nicaragua and they are good helpful guys.

Room Tip: If you choose a bungalow try to stay off a major pathway.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Unfortunately this beautiful place more and more became worst. The service is not good, there is no more all inclusive and there is a mini zoo that smell really bad and the water of the river who cross the mini zoo goes directly to the ocean in a part that you can not swim due the bad smell and dirty water.

It is sad, it is a nice place but careless.....

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Atenas, Costa Rica
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

My adult son and I spent two nights at Montelimar in November, 2012. We will not return.
The resort is advertised as todo incluido (all inclusive). It is not. For example, my son entered the snack bar during the afternoon and was told he had to pay for a scoop of ice cream. If I wanted to use my I-Pod I had to pay $24 for 24 hours. When I wanted to make a local phone call, I had to go to recepcion and deposit $20 in an account. Then the operator had to make the call, and call me back to tell me I could now speak to my friend.
In the restaurant there is a very adequate supply of food, though not of dessert, and the food is definitely not North American style, but probably Spanish. (It is not Central American, I live here.) Evening meal is from 7 until 10. We went in at 9:15; the lights were out; there was some food available (buffet style) but hard to choose in the dark. There were two or three servers around but they also had problems seeing.
We headed back to our cottage to find that we had no electricity. Most other cottages had lights on, although guest occupancy of the hotel was probably under 50%. My son whose first language is Spanish phoned Recepcion to report the problem. We´ll send someone, they said. Ten minutes later he called again. Same response. Fifteen minutes later I called. Same thing. After the fourth call about an hour had passed, the lights came on. No apology. No explanation. Just the feeling that we were bugging them.
Now Nicaraguans are usually friendly people and in my experience ranging over more than 20 years eager to please. Hotel Montelimar made us feel as if we were nuisances.
I know another Barcelo Resort, Playa Tambor, in Costa Rica much better, visiting it two or three times a year, and it surpasses Montelimar in every respect, including value received. Sorry Montelimar.

Room Tip: Choose a different resort.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Rather than going to the same old places that everyone else does we decided to try something new this holiday. We had never been to Nicaragua, but we had heard that it is a beautiful country with amazing people and unequaled scenery. This was our first vacation since the death of our father so we really wanted to make it special. The six of us (my wife, daughter, sister, mother, neice and myself) arrived in Managua on the late flight out of Miami. We had arranged for transport from the airport to the resort with Taxi Managua (Salvador is world class and the service and vehicles take all of the worry out of the logistics involved in getting around- I would HIGHLY suggest using him and his team. Samir is great! Contact: salcar@hotmail.com PH:714 905 6356). They picked us up at the airport and we got to the resort in around an hour and fifteen minutes. The ride was memorable as we saw the countryside and the people who live there. Once at the resort (which is heavily guarded and incredibly safe, so much so that my 8 year old neice was allowed to roam without any worry) we checked into our bungalos and walked down to the beach in the moonlight. You will freak out when you see the place!
Nicaragua is a beautiful place and the people are incredibly kind and generous. You will want to speak spanish, or have patience with the locals. The staff is very helpful and seem to bend over backwards to assure that every want and need is met. It's obvious that they take the resort very seriously and strive to be the best. Long story short, this place is such an absolute treasure!

I would suggest arranging for a tour while you are in the area. We had Salvador arrange us a day trip to Granada and Lake Nicaragua. There are islands on the lake with Spider Monkeys! We then went down to Volcano Masaya! The crater is wild and it is surreal to see a smoking volcano up close!

I WOULD HIGHLY SUGGEST THIS VACATION AND ENCOURAGE YOU TO EXPERINCE THIS WONDERFUL PLACE!

P.S.
All you can eat food, beer and booze! Trust me, you will have a ball!

Room Tip: Try to get a bungalo so you are down by the beach! The casino is the place to be at night. This is t...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

This was a great experience and stay. All the people I came in contact with were very nice and they claimed, all inclusive, is really that. We had good food and drinks for the price. I drank the local rum (dark) and it was great. The room was big, clean, and convenient. We rode horses and enjoyed the beach very much. I was very, very pleased. I read some other reviews and its a shame they had some inconveniences. We treated everyone with respect and we got the same back. If you are looking for more luxury then a more expensive all inclusive will be best.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Barcelo Montelimar Beach? Share your experiences!