“Amazed!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Montelimar Beach

You added Barcelo Montelimar Beach to your Saves list
Barcelo Montelimar Beach
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Masachapa Road, Km 67. 5 S | PO Box 1262, Montelimar 1262, Nicaragua   |
Special Offer
Early booking offer
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Montelimar
Atlanta, Georgia
“Amazed!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

This was a great experience and stay. All the people I came in contact with were very nice and they claimed, all inclusive, is really that. We had good food and drinks for the price. I drank the local rum (dark) and it was great. The room was big, clean, and convenient. We rode horses and enjoyed the beach very much. I was very, very pleased. I read some other reviews and its a shame they had some inconveniences. We treated everyone with respect and we got the same back. If you are looking for more luxury then a more expensive all inclusive will be best.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Polish first
Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We stayed at Montelimar for 2 nights last week. We are from Canada and my husband is from Nicaragua. He went there many times as a child and loved it and insisted we visit with our kids. It was stressful from the moment we arrived. Our toilet overflowed, no water from our taps and we called 4 times to have housekeeping deliver a playpen for the little one. Because we had to sit around waiting we missed the sunset and didnt get to go to the beach that first day. It was also swarming with locals who I have been told were given significant discounts so they can fill the place up before the start of high season. It was not a relaxing atmosphere.

Even my husband was extremely dissapointed and couldnt believe how much it had changed since the last time he was there. Don't get me wrong, the setting is absolutely beautiful but the housekeeping standards are low. Maybe it changes during high season when more tourists flock there. They were not meticulous at all with housekeeping.

The food was ok but not 4.5 stars like they claim. I would definetly not go back there again unless it was just with a day pass and I will definetly not recommend Montelimar to anyone we know, neither will my husband and he used to love this place, that is the only reason why we returned.

And one more thing....it is WAY too pricey for the quality of service and food that we receive. We felt we should have paid half that amount for a 2 night stay!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We purchased the all-inclusive package and were not disappointed. We enjoyed the authentic local dishes. Don't expect pizza and hot dogs, although pizza was available a few times at the pool snack bar.
During the week, some of the facilities were closed. Be sure to ask upon arrival what the hours of operation are.
Spanish is the official language in Nicaragua although several of the staff also spoke English. Everyone is very friendly and willing to help or assist any way they can.
$20 (without tip) for a 30 minute massage is a great way to start the day followed by a stroll on the beach then breakfast in the beachside restaurant. The Nicaraguan coffee is fantastic!
Our rooms were in the hotel and were basic rooms. Clean, but no frills. We were only in the rooms to change clothes or sleep, so it wasn't an issue for us.
The front desk set up several day trips for us and we were not disappointed. The cars were small, but the drivers were courteous, kind, and stopped several times for photo opportunities.
Be sure to stop at the small lobby bar and have a cold libation. Idalia and her co-workers are more than happy to serve you.
The casino was small and a lot of slot machines lined the walls. I never saw anyone at the tables, but we weren't there that late.
The "shows" are campy but fun! The're held next to the casino, so it's a nice way to wind down the day.
Keep in mind most of the working class make $25 or less per week. If you are in the all-inclusive package where they say tips are included, tipping will still be greatly appreciated.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

My daughter and I were very excited to get away for a couple of days. The ocean front suite was large and comfortable nice and clean. The ocean is a little ways away from the room but it is ocean front. There was no one in the ocean or even on the beach all three days we were there. Not sure why it looked wonderful but we stuck to the pool which was amazing soft water huge and very clean. The chairs were a little dirty from bird droppings but I guess it's hard to keep up. The food I'm sorry to say was not great! The salads were fresh and good and lots of vegetables it just wasn't too Americanized which is kind of hard when you have to depend on the meals to keep fed. The pizza was not really pizza which was serves at the bar. The fries were great and always lots of fresh fruit. We didn't drink alcohol o I can't comment on that but the fruit drinks were very good.
The Staff was very good, kind happy and there to make your stay perfect. Even when they were having trouble with the Internet front desk staff were very helpful . We cannot wait o go back we may just pack some Canadian snacks next time. They did stock the fridge with bottled water beer and pop which was great.

Room Tip: Ocean view is nice and quiet 326 and 327 are joined and ocean front close to the pool and restaurant...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I was not satisfied with this stay. I have stayed at several Barcelo hotels and this was by far the worst location. The staff were not happy, barely smiled and seemed annoyed when my friends and I asked questions. The food pretyy much sucks- there were maybe two things I truly from the buffet. I can say that we got a good deal very last minute and this is why we agreed to stay here for our last two days in Nicaragua. Now the pool is nice and spacious, access to the beach is great, and who can complain about all inclusive liquor. We did enjoy the night show where we played bingo. The views from La Casano are gorgeous and the casino is typical.. I like to play the tables, but they didn't really interest me here. I didn't get to see the regular hotel rooms, but the cabanas are pretty cool if you're into a nature environment.

People stay here because its the biggest resort in Montilimar. I cannot deny there location is beautiful, but there customer service skills are seriously lacking. They need to invest in training and some better food options or at least preparations.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Eldersburg, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I stayed at this resort for a week with 3 friends. My one friend has been there two other times and sponsors a child in Leon Nicaragua, this was my first. We visited the child and his family, took the family to Tip Top for lunch and delivered school supplies. Traveling here has humbled me. People you must remember this is a 3rd world country, do not judge. We had a great time, the people were nice, great pool, clean and huge. Beach fantastic, the food was good, of course different that what i am accustomed to living in Maryland. Rooms were clean and nice. You must not judge by where you come from or have visited. Remember you are a guest in their country.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Nicaragua
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Everyone attending with a monster face all the time, like their boss just hit them; the food sucks; they are suppose to include national liquor and beer, and they don't have the main national beer: Toña! the only beer they have is draft Victoria.... The food sucks, the service is really bad... one the the employees enter to my room without knocking the door... They are suppose to have 3 main restaurants, but the best two do not open, meaning they only have the worse of the three restaurants open... No Casona and No Quijote!!!.... the environment sucks!!!! at least the pool was good!

Room Tip: You get what you are paying for... Meaning that it is not cheap for what you are getting...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Barcelo Montelimar Beach? Share your experiences!