“Great Location but the hotel is dated & expensive” 3 of 5 stars

You added Le Meridien Ile des Pins to your Saves list
Le Meridien Ile des Pins
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Baie D'Oro, BP 175, Ile Des Pins 98832, New Caledonia   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Ile Des Pins
“Great Location but the hotel is dated & expensive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Le Meridien is located on a beautiful Lagoon. We stayed for 4 nights in a beach access Bungalow. It was very clean but the room was old & quite dated. For the price paid I do not think it's good value for money - the service is poor (ordered drinks by the pool & they never turned up - likewise with drinks ordered at dinner) but the staff were pleasant. You have to pay for the Internet and the connection was ridiculously poor. There is also no place nearby to buy drinks or Groceries so you have to eat and drink in the hotel and it is very expensive.

It's a beautiful location and a nice place to relax but ultimately I think it's over priced. A weekend is more than enough.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
LeMeridienIledesPins, Manager at Le Meridien Ile des Pins, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Bonjour James K,

I fully understand your disapointment when reading the details regarding the service offered during your stay. I would like to fully apologize and I will personnaly share your experience with my team so as to make sure this will be corrected as soon as possible. The Isle of Pines as you have experienced is a very natural place where you won't find many shops around. This retreat and natural location in the middle of the Pacific makes it so appealing for most of our visitors in need of quitness and anthentic experience. To enjoy such a rare place requires to deal with what sometimes appears like problems : wifi connections, limited shops... We work so as to improve the wifi access and our prices are similar to Noumea even if most of our products are send by boat wich implies expenses. Morever, we are currenctly renovated all our bungalows and public areas and soon the entire design and atmosphere will be modernized so as to offer an even better experience to all our guests.
I sincerely hope you will keep some good memories of your stay with us and maybe decide to come and visit us again when the hotel will be enterely renovated.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Korean first
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Amazing place with magnificent views and atmosphere. Very helpful staff with better than usual English. Pricey! The beach is not the best for swimming but a 20 minute walk takes you to the "Natural Pool" which is fantastic for snorkelling.

Room Tip: Be careful not to pay rack rate!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
LeMeridienNoumea, Public Relations Manager at Le Meridien Ile des Pins, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Bonjour, David T,

Thank you for sharing your experieince with the online community. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay. We will be happy to see you again !
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

The perfect hotel to get away from it all but still have access to all amenities. Loved the walk to Piscine Naturelle, stunning snorkelling in a safe environment, and then returning to enjoy an ice cream and cold drink on the day beds overlooking the turquoise sea, before getting changed for dinner - even managed to fit in a pedicure! The staff could not have been friendlier and we loved sampling the local dishes in the restaurant such as chicken bougna and the seafood platter - wow! Just make sure to bring an international licence if you wish to hire a car.

Room Tip: We didn't pay the extra for a waterfront room, but were very happy with our room overlooking the...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
LeMeridienIledesPins, Manager at Le Meridien Ile des Pins, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Bonjour Ruth L,

As you mentioned in your comment, our hotel located on the Isle of Pines is a rare place where time seems not to have affected the environment. Everything is kept as natural as possible and nothing here is impacting the superb natural site. Within this so retreat and natural island we do our best to offer all comfort and necessary amenities for all our clients to enjoy perfect holidays. There are much to discover and enjoy and I am very happy you had experienced some of these beauties and pleasures. Thank you very much for sharing that with us and we hope you will long remember your stay with us.
With Best regards

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

We stayed at the beautiful Le Meridien - Isle of Pines towards the end of May. We had booked airport pickup through the hotel and were preparing for an average service stay when the shuttle was nearly 20 mins late to pick us up from the Airport. However, the service was top notch once we reached the resort and remained at that level throughout our stay.

Location:
Isle of Pines is one of those secret gems that you have to see to believe. The resort is set at the tranquil Baie D'Oro lagoon and Piscine Naturelle is roughly 15 mins walk from the resort. It was truly akin to swimming in an aquarium. There were plentiful fishes that were visible in the crystal clear water even without snorkeling. I managed to spend bulk of my stay snorkeling at Piscine Naturelle. It must have been offpeak when we were there as I hardly saw anyone there, at times I was the only person swimming / snorkeling.

Room:
We stayed at bungalow suite which is absolutely worth the extra money. Our bungalow was clean, comfortable and right on the lagoon. It was extremely relaxing to listen to the waves lap right outside the bungalow with not a sound in the world to disturb you.

Food and Service:
The staff were extremely friendly and went out of their way to assist us during our stay. We were traveling with our 7 month old son and are extremely thankful to the staff at the resort as well as all of the restaurant staff for looking so well after us throughout our stay. We didn't speak a word of French which was a bit of a challenge for some staff but they would gladly locate someone who can speak & understand English for us.

There is only one restaurant at the resort but the food quality & taste more than makes up for it. It was everything you hear about French food. There is also fixed menu everyday for Lunch & Dinner with about 8 - 9 options for mains which wasn't an issue for me as I was able to try a different dish everyday without getting bored. My wife on the other hand would have struggled as she's vegetarian however the restaurant made special meals for her daily based on her request. Special mention to restaurant managers Julian and Sebastian for proactively calling her daily to take her order. Daily breakfast had the usual wide variety of hot & cold dishes.

There are free paddle boats, kayaks, snorkel etc provided at the resort.
I must add that New Caledonia is an expensive place to travel and Le Meridien Isle of Pines is no exception. We spent nearly AUD1000 a day on room & food and drinks and this was during off-peak.

Overall, we had an extremely relaxing holiday at an idyllic location and with the added bonus of fantastic service. Wish we were back already.

Room Tip: If staying at Bungalow Suite, ask for No.34. It has a great view of the lagoon and the river.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
LeMeridienIledesPins, Manager at Le Meridien Ile des Pins, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear pbamta,

Thank you for sharing your detailed experience at Le Meridien Isles of Pines. It is always a pleasure for my team and myself to read what has been positive about our clients' holidays. It encourages us all to carry on along the effort we put in offering good services to all our clients. It seems that you will long remember your stay with us and that is exactly our goal. This retreat island is a very special place, and we always hope that our visitors will experience the best of it : natural surroundings with a real sense of quietness and lots to discover.Of course the beauty of the lagoon and the tropical trees offer a great environment witch is a real luxury by itself but our staff is there to enhance the experience and make it even more memorable. I am extremely happy you had enjoyed all aspects of what we can offer to our clients.

A bienôt,

Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

We came to the Isle de Pines for three days during our winter holiday in July. Since we booked the trip from Noumea and it was low season me and my two teenage children got a really good package price flight there, 3 nights and boat back for 2000 AUD. The agent sold the property as a 5 star destination.

After 2 previous nights in Noumea we absolutely loved arriving on the Isle de Pins and at the Le Meridien as well, all seems lush and tropical, the beach is small but beutiful and the pines look truely magnificent!
We moved into a beautiful bungalow at the eastern side of the beach and everything seemed perfect except that I thought that personnel was quite different from other 5 star hotels I have stayed at. When I learned that the resort had just reopened after some refurbishment I thought that they were probably a bit short on staff.

That impression lasted throughout, no matter how many stars, the behaviour of staff was just unreal: arrogant, unwilling to deal with any other language then French, unattentive, badly trained, rude and slack. Service in the restaurant makes an effort to avoid eye contact so it is hard to order or get something without getting up and asking to be attended to. There is an uneasieness and somehow a hostility to staff in the restaurant that we tried our best to somehow sustain ourselfs. We fed on some left over bread and peanuts for two of the three nights, even found some papayas on the way to the natural pool and bought some avocado and canned fish on the island to avoid eating in the hotel. That is just sad and not what you want to do when you're on holiday!

And no, there is no complimentary water at the rooms, even though the hotel seems to be having a water or hygiene problem. 500 ml water are 4 AUD, two bottles are in the mini bar.

Second day my son and I had a chicken sandwich for lunch and we both got bad gastrospasms after finishing the meal! In this case it could not have been the water, we both had canned drinks!
These lasted all night but did not get any worse, thank god!

Also, be careful when you book, there are rooms which suffer from noise emissions from the kitchen. The spa in the center has a terribly noisy spa pool outside that sounds like a generator. If you happen to stay close to the center of the resort you could be effected.
You can't even have a sundowner on the terrace, the tables are being used for dinner and preparations start a couple of hours before at around 5 pm by ironing the tablecloth on the dinner tables in front of the clients!

All together we would not come back or recommend this resort. We missed an open, friendly smile, the atmosphere of easiness, that was not present!

Room Tip: Get away from the restaurant, eastern side of beach is good. Bungalows along the river are being ref...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Ulrike M,

I feel extremely sorry to read your poor impression while staying at our resort. I perfectly understand your complaints because the last things you want when being on holiday in an hotel like ours is not to be considered with much attention. We are working hard with my team so as to improve on a daily basis the quality of our service and we have in this matter reach a normally very good standard. I sincerely apologize for my team not to have delivered the required standard services to you and your family during your stay. After our re-opening it seems that not everyone was properly back to their normal routine and it seems that it had affected the service quality. I can assure you that it is now back to normal. If you wish to visit again New-Caledonia, please contact me personally and I would do my best to offer you the experience that you should have lived during your first stay.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

This hotel is very nice, although maybe getting a little tired in reception and the bar area.
The staff are all very friendly and will accommodating, everyone saying bonjour.
Our beach bungalow was very nice, and clean.

If you can bring some alcohol with you as you can't buy it on the island, and as you would expect the hotel isn't cheap.
I agree with other reviews, it's a bit much having to pay for the airport transfer and internet given the price you pay to stay, and the speed of the internet.

Stayed July 2014
LeMeridienIledesPins, Manager at Le Meridien Ile des Pins, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Good morning ADGRO,

How please to read that you have enjoyed your bungalow and the attitude of our staff. Everyone is always happy to enhance the experience and the beauty of the site by giving good services to all clients.
The hotel has starting a refurbishment program with painting being done in the reception. New furnitures will arrive end of August 2014 so that the entire atmosphere will definitively seems more modern and comfortable. In few weeks time, it will be a completely different look and I am sure all our future clients will enjoy the changes. Maybe an opportunity for you to come and visit us again and discover the new atmosphere.

Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

Everything about Le Meridien was so beautiful, from the rooms right through to the gorgeous location looking out over the lagoon.

The staff were very friendly and quite tolerant of our absolutely hopeless French, with most staff knowing enough English for us to get by with our few words and a lot of smiles and hand gestures. They are very attentive and popped in to the room a few times a day to clean up/turn down the beds etc. They usually do this during meal times, so if you are staying in your room instead I would recommend putting the Do Not Disturb on the door so they don't walk in on you.

The food and drinks were pretty expensive (even when compared to Sydney, which is saying something) so be prepared, but the quality was excellent and when you consider the location and what a journey any supplies must have to get there, I thought it was fair.

There are lots of activities available on the beach, from snorkeling to paddle-boats, and the resort also has a list of walks and day-trips around the area which you can choose from.

I would highly recommend for a relaxing holiday away with a partner or a small, chilled out group of friends.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
LeMeridienIledesPins, Manager at Le Meridien Ile des Pins, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Bonjour Brigitte A,

Thank you very much for your detailed message and your positive feedbacks regarding your holidays at Le Meridien Isle of Pines. It is a real pleasure to read that you had such a good time while staying with us and that all our staff was helpful and professional. I will certainly congratulate the entire team. Receiving positive feedbacks is definitively for us all a great pleasure and encourage us all to deliver even better services. I sincerely hope that you will visit us again.

Hotel Manager

Been to Le Meridien Ile des Pins? Share your experiences!