“Not what it used to be” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #15 of 15 Restaurants in Walvis Bay
Cuisines: Steakhouse
“Not what it used to be”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

It used to be the go to place, but unfortunately not anymore. It's got kids climbing all over stuff, and getting into holes everywhere. Tables are usually sticky so you need to ask an extra wipe off after they've done it once. Table mats are usually torn and/or broken. It's got so much potential, just needs some extra care.

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Durban
“Below Par ...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

Some fellow crew members on board the MSC Sinfonia where visiting Walvis Bay for the day and with so many foreign staff included in the mix, I decided to recommend a good ol' steak and thought SPUR is a reliable brand. It turns out that SPUR was absolutely the worst choice. 16 of us arrived for lunch. The orders got mixed up with main courses arriving before the starters. Cold food was served including near frozen middle of cheese/garlic rolls and some of us receiving meals 30 minutes after the first dishes arrived. I understand there are challenges with large groups but for such a large restaurant I am surprised they couldn't cope especially since it was quiet. Perhaps that should have been the clue and noting that currently it is ranked as one of the bottom scoring restuarants in WB - I seriously wish I had checked tripadvisor first. Oh well, Lesson Learnt !!

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Windhoek
“Decent milkshakes, but this is it!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Not being a Spur franchise fan, but I decided anyway to have a quick meal with my family and try the local Hickory Spur in Walvis Bay. It was relatively quiet, with many waitresses/waiters standing around a chatting to each other - great to share the local gossip! Customer service was surely not on their agenda. We ordered drinks, including milkshakes, which was delicious. However, this is where the our initial experience stopped. The food arrived 20 minutes later, which was reasonable, but service was staggered in ca. 10 minute intervals. Some of our diners finished their food before others received theirs - and as I mentioned, the restaurant was not busy at all. The BBQ chicken was overcooked, the burger and chips were served cold and the plate not warmed - all basics. The bacon and cheese burger was totally unappetizing, the beef patty too small (due to incineration?), the chips and onion rings cold, and so the lists goes on. I simply cannot recommend anyone visiting this establishment. Or do so at your own peril.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa
“I'll walk a mile.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Spur was rather quite during the lunch hour meaning it was only us and another person.

Their waiters need some 'spurring' on. Perhaps they were just bored due to the lack of customers?

So? I'll walk a mile to another place to have lunch with my family.

Visited May 2013
Cape Town
“Great eat out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

The food was great. It was a bit busy though and we had to wait a while but despite that, the service was still excellent. We had a great time and yes I would recommend a visit to them.

Visited May 2012