“Perfect place to stay in Walvis Bay” 5 of 5 stars

Oyster Box Guesthouse
4.0 of 5 Guest house   |   Esplanade & 2nd Street, Walvis Bay, Namibia   |
Ranked #2 of 9 Walvis Bay B&B and Inns
Europe
“Perfect place to stay in Walvis Bay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

I usually do not write any reviews, but in that case it is really worth it: We visited Walvis Bay at the end of our trip through Namibia, so we have seen some hotels before. We were really, really positively surprised by this hotel. It was newly renovated and the rooms are very nice decorated, flatscreens, clean, detailed decoration. Its is located right at the bay, with a nice ocean view.The guy at the frontdesk was very friendly, helpful with organizing trips etc. Food in the restaurant is good. The breakfast room is very nicely located and equipped on the first floor, big glass walls, that you have a view on the bay while having breakfast.

Parking lot is also available, locked. We felt very comfy in that hotel, wish we had some more time to extend our stay, however we had to catch a flight. Summary is, we can highly recommend this place, you will not regret it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Polish first
South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

The guesthouse has very recently been renovated, externally as well as with regard to the design and decor of the rooms. It's very pleasant to experience a fresh look.

The manager, Chris, was attentive, as were the other staff members - when we sat in the lounge area, we were always asked if we'd like refreshments.

Regarding sleep quality, the bed was very comfortable. It was 2 beds pushed together, not a 'proper' double or queen - I think all the beds are set up like that at the guesthouse, but we didn't have a problem with that. The reason I gave the sleep quality a 4 and not a 5 is simply because when the wind blows, which it does often in Walvis, the door of the room opposite us would shudder against the door-frame and echo loudly in the little passage outside our room. It only did this on one morning, and I'm easily disturbed by noises - my husband got up and stuck a folded brochure into the door-frame, and that stopped it! Aside from that instance, I slept extremely well.

The staff were great, keeping an eye on when we went to breakfast or into the lounge so that they could take the opportunity to get our room ship-shape again. They even popped in in the evenings to do a little turn-down service which I didn't expect in a guesthouse. I would often sleep in and arrive at breakfast at the end of the official breakfast time, but I never felt rushed or that I was inconveniencing anyone...they were happy to make up my choice of hot breakfast.

The look of the room is a modern take on sea-side decor...we found the headboard to be just so useful, with a number of nooks in it to stash our books and keys and the remotes (TV and Aircon). The reason I gave the room a 4 and not a 5 is only due to the bathroom. This has also been re-done, but the shelf over the basin is too prominent and one cannot help but bump your head when leaning over the basin. The management knows about this - they have had quite a bit of feedback on it - and are planning to re-do the bathrooms again. I hope that they will also re-do the tiles on the floor - they are a very dark and textured tile, whereas I think a light porcelain tile looks and feels fresher in a bathroom. Even if they didn't re-do the bathrooms, I would still stay there again.

All in all, having spent 6 nights at the Oyster Box, and drivng around in Walvis Bay, I didn't see any other accommodation that appealed to me more than this guesthouse.

Room Tip: Upstairs, lagoon-facing room - we were in room 9 which also had a window in the bathroom.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

I came across this guesthouse whilst driving towards my original reservation. However, this small hotel seemed so much more enticing even from the road, that I went in. Service was excellent, the rooms were spic and span as was the bathroom, whiter than white and with a view to the sea. The beds are big and very comfortable and it is 2 minutes from the beach. I didn't have breakfast because I had a very early start and just asked to be given an omelette the night before. However, Mr. Lourens / manager / insisted that I should have a hot omelette the morning I left - even though it was 6 a.m. All in all a great experience.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

We returned to Oyster Box Guesthouse for our annual family holiday. We had a family room downstairs. It takes just a few steps to be on the long walk along the lagoon. The kids played in the sand near the lagoon and we watched them from the big window in the breakfast room enjoying tea and cappuccino. The breakfast was delicious and the service friendly, polite and very helpful.
The rooms are beautifully decorated and brand new. Very comfortable bedding, lot’s of cupboard space and view of the lagoon. It is close to the yacht club where the seal tours start. We are already looking forward the our holiday here next year.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Oyster Box Guesthouse? Share your experiences!