Having high expectations coming into "luxury, 5 star accomodation" part of Protea's exclusive African Pride label in Swakopmund Namibia this was an utter dissapointment. Let me actually start out with the good (yes, there is some). The accomodation itself isn't bad. The two rooms we were shown were spacious, had decent facilities and a nice ocean view. Unfortunately, that is were the good ends. The "bad" list is a lot longer, and makes this 2500 ZAR per night hotel an absolute rip off:
- When looking for the hotel, the first thing one notices is it location. It is literally in the middle of a residential neighbourhood stashed away between appartment blocks. Expecting five star luxury this was a major let down
- Upon entering the first thing one notices is the receptionist. It is quite tough to get a hold of her as she is occupied on the phone most of the times (and no, these weren't guests she was helping)
- Then the restaurant. Yes, the restaurant, where can I start. In a way this was the most hilarious part of my trip as I've never encountered such. Not even in 1/2 star accomodations.
My first encounter with the restaurant staff was trying to order food during the afternoon. The three ladies all leaning against the counter did their best to see me out of the restaurant but I stood firm, being able to order food for people which arrived after 45 minutes in an empty restaurant
Chapter 2; breakfast. As poor as it can get choice wise. Two sorts of yoghurt, no pastries, a minimal selection of meat and some juices. 5 star luxury?
Chapter 3: going in to watch some football on a Saturday afternoon. The first thing the staff mentioned is that the tv couldn't be switched on because the remote had been "stolen". Again I stood firm and explained them that a tv also had manual controls. Visually upset, they managed to deliver us one round of beer during a 3 hour stay. One lady fled into the kitchen to have an afternoon long conversation about who knows what, the other one found a quiet corner to fall asleep, only to be woken up when we wanted to order coffee. After asking, they also managed to provide us some nuts to nibble on. I recognized these nuts from breakfast and they tasted like wood.
Chapter 4: Breakfast day 2. Walking into the restaurant I noticed the dinner from last night had not even been cleaned up at 9 am. So tables full with glasses of wine and empty bottles of beer to greet one at breakfast. When walking over to the buffet I noticed the same plate of nuts I had battled with the day before, and I almost wet my pants laughing. When the lady asked why the table hadn't been cleaned up she mentioned that "there were other people" on service last night, who had "just left". Quite remarkable as we were in the hotel bar the night before and saw her she was on duty. She was also drinking during her night shift, and looked hazy when we asked for a drink.
Some other notes:
- There is no swimming pool
- No gym
- The hotel set up is a maze
- Parking is on the street
- The "alfresco dining experience" consists of calamari rings and a beef patty burger, not a
high end dining experience
- The hotel is very poorly maintained. A lot of it is wood and visibly rotting. Restaurant chairs
are broken, lights don't work.
- The private beach is a lie. The hotel is beach facing, yes, but it is an ugly patch of coast
Do yourself a favor and look at one of the nice hotels in Swakopmund itself, this is just a rip off mainly due to some of the worst (although hilarious) service I've ever encountered. I can only hope someone in Protea's head office takes note of this and decided on rigorous action, as the days of Brad and Angelina are long gone..
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- As the shifting sands of the Namib Desert swirl in time to an ageless rhythm, Burning Shore rises above the wilderness in an oasis of calm, like a soothing balm upon the scorched earth. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Tingo, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com, Venere and Agoda so you can book your Burning Shore reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Burning Shore Swakopmund
- Burning Shore Hotel Swakopmund