We have just come back from 10 days trip in Namibia booked through Gemma Dry.
Gemma was was very helpful throughout the booking process. She happily answered our list of questions and was quite flexible when we wanted to change plans throughout the process.
As the trip was short with a lot to pack in, we had made special requests to pre-book activities or at least let the lodges know what we wanted to do as to ensure everything could be fitted into the tight deadline. Pretty much none of our requests were acknowledged. Here were some of the problems:
1. Firstly the driver who picked us up from the airport was late and rude. And we ended up having to make expensive international call back to Gemma's office to find out where he was. When he turned up he didn't even speak to us and just shoved the sign with our names at us. Then having not even touched our luggage, he asked for a tip at the end!
2. At Check in at our first hotel (the Hilton at Windhoek), we were asked to pay despite having paid everything through Gemma upfront. This is however apparently a mistake that Hilton does every time.
3. At the first lodge (Sossuvlei desert lodge) we had asked to prebook the quad biking. The lodge had not acknowledged Gemma's communication. We were lucky the guide called the reserve guide out for us. But we had to wait while everyone else was out at their afternoon activity for him to arrive and as such the activity was rushed.
4. At Anderssons camp, we had asked for the Night game drive. Gemma only called up the day before we arrived and apparently was told it wasn't possible. But then when our driver asked when we arrived, it was arranged within 5 minutes.
5. At Mushara outpost- again problem at check in- we were told we were not booked there and asked to go to Mushara bush camp. Eventually somehow sorted itself out. We had requested to do an all day game drive on the following day through Gemma as it was our only full day at Etosha. There was no mention of this. And after the hassle at check in we really couldn't find the effort to discuss this with the lodge. We were obviously disappointed because the guide basically took us to the same part of the park morning and afternoon due to lack of time.
Like the title said, we could be the unlucky ones. But if you do want to pre-book activities or have special requests for the lodges, best contact them yourself.
If you own or manage Discover Namibia Private Day Tours and Safaris, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.