“Maybe we were the unlucky ones” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 25 Activities in Swakopmund
Type: Tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Discover Namibia is a Namibian Tourism Board registered company.We offer privately guided day tours in Windhoek and Swakopmund as well as a selection of longer tour options.Bookings can be made via telephone or e mail.
3 attraction reviews
“Maybe we were the unlucky ones”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We have just come back from 10 days trip in Namibia booked through Gemma Dry.
Gemma was was very helpful throughout the booking process. She happily answered our list of questions and was quite flexible when we wanted to change plans throughout the process.
As the trip was short with a lot to pack in, we had made special requests to pre-book activities or at least let the lodges know what we wanted to do as to ensure everything could be fitted into the tight deadline. Pretty much none of our requests were acknowledged. Here were some of the problems:

1. Firstly the driver who picked us up from the airport was late and rude. And we ended up having to make expensive international call back to Gemma's office to find out where he was. When he turned up he didn't even speak to us and just shoved the sign with our names at us. Then having not even touched our luggage, he asked for a tip at the end!
2. At Check in at our first hotel (the Hilton at Windhoek), we were asked to pay despite having paid everything through Gemma upfront. This is however apparently a mistake that Hilton does every time.
3. At the first lodge (Sossuvlei desert lodge) we had asked to prebook the quad biking. The lodge had not acknowledged Gemma's communication. We were lucky the guide called the reserve guide out for us. But we had to wait while everyone else was out at their afternoon activity for him to arrive and as such the activity was rushed.
4. At Anderssons camp, we had asked for the Night game drive. Gemma only called up the day before we arrived and apparently was told it wasn't possible. But then when our driver asked when we arrived, it was arranged within 5 minutes.
5. At Mushara outpost- again problem at check in- we were told we were not booked there and asked to go to Mushara bush camp. Eventually somehow sorted itself out. We had requested to do an all day game drive on the following day through Gemma as it was our only full day at Etosha. There was no mention of this. And after the hassle at check in we really couldn't find the effort to discuss this with the lodge. We were obviously disappointed because the guide basically took us to the same part of the park morning and afternoon due to lack of time.

Like the title said, we could be the unlucky ones. But if you do want to pre-book activities or have special requests for the lodges, best contact them yourself.

Visited October 2013
Discover_Namibia, Owner at Discover Namibia Private Day Tours and Safaris, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Thank you for your review Gladys.
I would like to take the time to address the issues you have raised.

1. I have taken your complaints to the transfer company, regarding the behaviour of their driver, and explained that they are essentially the first face that is seen on arrival in the country. They should first and foremost be on time, but also be friendly and helpful as many people have travelled a long way. I believe that we will not encounter an issue like this in the future.
Regarding the cost of your phone calls, please send through to us the information so that we can compensate you for this cost.

2. The Hilton is not a hotel that we use regularly, as we prefer to use the many smaller boutique guesthouses in Windhoek. As such we booked and paid for your reservation on credit card. On the booking I had your names, but on their reservation they had put my name ( the cardholder) so when you checked in they could not match my voucher with their reservation number. We now have account facilities with Hilton in Windhoek and so this will not be an issue for future guests.

3. Regarding the activities discussed in your next 3 points.
All activities were prebooked as per your instructions?
I receive an e mail from you on your first afternoon at Sossusvlei Desert Lodge to tell me that they had not acknowledged your honeymoon or your activity requests. I then forwarded you a copy of the correspondence I had with &Beyond, showing you that indeed I had done all of the above, and in fact had reconfirmed these items as well, and that their reservations had confirmed with me that this information had been passed on to the lodge.
I have passed your complaints on to &Beyond regarding this matter as it is really not acceptable for a lodge of any standard, let alone a luxury lodge of this standing to ignore requests such as these. Hopefully they will improve their communications between their reservations staff and their lodge staff.

4. Anderssons Camp. As mentioned in our correspondences, it was not definite if Andersson's Camp would be operating a night drive on the evening that you were staying. I tried to confirm this in advance with the lodge but they could only confirm with me closer to the time, and responses were very slow from them. The day previous to your arrival I received a response to let us know they would not be operating a night drive, but an afternoon drive was available.
Your guide was an ex Wilderness Safaris guide for 6 years, so it is possible someone there did him a favour on arrival, in which case you were very lucky to get an activity that was not scheduled for that day.

5. This is the first I am hearing about this. You were booked and paid for at Mushara Outpost on DBB basis on the first night and FI basis on the second to include a full day game drive. Nobody at Mushara contacted me on your check in to indicate their was any kind of issue, which certainly would happen if I was trying to check in 2 clients at a luxury lodge when they were booked at the budget option.
The fact that it seemed to sort itself out indicates to me that there was some sort of error on the reception side, rather than an error on the booking side, and would likely also explain why your full day game drive turned into two half day ones. I wish that you had asked the lodge to contact me when this issue raised itself at check in so that I could have sorted this out and you would have got what you paid for.

Despite your hiccups above I do hope that you enjoyed your time in Namibia and the wonders it has to offer, and I hope that our substitution of Rosta our fully qualified and very experienced guide, in place the A to B driver that you had booked was a nice surprise and treat for your honeymoon.

Best Wishes
Gemma Dry

Chicago
5 attraction reviews
“If you are going to Namibia......”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Discover Namibia (Grete) was a wealth of information and extremely open to working with a specific persons plans. Very patient and guiding with her excellent knowledge of Namibia. Would not hesitate to work with Grete again! What a beautiful country!!!!

Visited November 2012
Longview, Texas
12 attraction reviews
“Excellent Trip Services”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

I have been doing adventure trips throughout the world for many years and in the past several years have relied on Trip Advisor for locating assistance and reliable information for locations which I wish to visit. Most recently, a friend and myself just toured Namibia and Botswana. For this excursion I worked with Discover Namibia Day Safaris. First working with Yvonne and also Gemma Dry. Their services are without a doubt extremely reliable. Everything was mapped out and complete detailed instructions for a self drive tour. My 3 week trip was without surprise or failure. Everyone who were assisting along the way, every campsite, every excursion, every recommendation was exactly as it was represented. Upon returning home, my wife (who did not go along) asked me how everything that Gemma had planned worked out and my reply was "to the t". Every detail was done for us and I could not have been happier. Only question I have is where to go next year that will top this one. Hopefully, I will again call upon Gemma Dry to plan another excursion.

This review may sound too good to be true, but that is not the case. It was every bit as correct as I've represented it to be.

Visited September 2013
milano
“Just a word: perfect!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We organized our trip to Namibia (2 weeks, August 2013) with Discover Namibia Tours and Safaris. And it was the best choice we could do!

Gemma Dry and Yvonne Morgans were helpful, informative, knowledgeable, encouraging, patient, efficient, honest and professional in every step of the trip. You cannot ask better from a tour operator!

1. Organization. We spent months e-mailing each other, trying to find the best options in terms of accomodation and itinerary. Gemma and Yvonne answered to every question we asked, always very quickly, proposing the best solutions and managing to obtain all the accomodations we asked for (even the ones in waiting list, at the end).
2. Trip. Along with the rental car, we received an amazing info pack with a detailed map, accomodation vouchers and lots of infos about the trip. Gemma also provided a lot of help during the trip, managing to book various activities we did not have the time to book before - we were communicating through sms messages! Invaluable.

So please, if you're planning a trip to Namibia (and neighbouring countries!) please consider Discover Namibia Tours and Safaris!

Visited August 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
46 attraction reviews
“Great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We have just finished our two weeks travel organised by Discover Namibia through Namibia, Botswana and Victoria Falls. We have heard about thsi company on Internet and have communicated with Gemma Dry and Yvonne Morgans. We are not an easy crowd and they have always been responsive. The guy that they arranged to guide us, Tim Therone, was experienced and knowledgeable.
Although we have changed the itinerary as we were on the go, everything went very smooth! They arrange a flight over the Okavango Delta that was not included in the first place and it turned out to be the climax or our trip. All prearranged accommodation was perfect!
Many thanks to Gemma and Tim!

Visited August 2013