“Worth $100, not $150” 4 of 5 stars

Toronto, Canada
13 attraction reviews
“Worth $100, not $150”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

The drive to Sandwich Harbour is right along the edge of the dunes and water south of Walvis Bay so the dunes are bigger than the ones around Swakopmund. It was really windy so we didn't spend much time driving around in the dunes, I wish we had but oh well. Overall it cost us $150 USD each for the day. If it cost $100 I would recommend it without hesitation but it is expensive. There are lots of tours that do half day trips to Sandwich Bay, I think that would feel rushed, it's a good 90 minute drive from Swakopmund. If I had to do it again I would skip the day to Sandwich Harbour and splurge on a flight over the dunes.. or do the living desert tour with tommy's, you get to spend more time driving in the dunes and see a lot more critters, and it costs half as much.

That said, Turnstone is very professional, and it was a full day, almost 10 hours door to door. Our guide was funny, friendly, and very outgoing. Lunch was delicious (lasagna) and the apple crumble for desert is the best I've ever tasted in my entire life. About ten times better than the world famous apple crumble everyone talks about in Solitaire. So if you have the time and money, go for it. But if you're on a budget financially or time wise.. I would prioritize kayaking with seals, quad biking in the desert (everyone should do this), and tommy's living desert tour. If you can afford it, we heard (from other travellers) that the desert flights are incredible if you have a window seat :)

Visited November 2011

USA
“Spectacular”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

Recently completed the Sandwich Harbour 4X4 tour with Wayne. The tour has a lot of interesting insights into the history and geography and animal life along the coast. Wayne was very informative about every aspect of Namibia nature, wildlife and conservation. This is a great tour not to be missed! Especially enjoyed the sand dune views and drving along the narrow endless stretch of vast coastal parkland. Great lunch too.

- Point of view from an adventurous USA world traveler

Visited September 2011
London
4 attraction reviews
“Fantastic Day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

We recently did the Sandwich Harbour trip with Turnstone Tours - what a fantastic day! Our guide, Ernst, was so informative and friendly and we felt we both learnt so much about Namibia and the desert from our day spent with him. I can't recommend Turnstone highly enough - they are a bit more expensive than other tours of the area, but having done one of these on our last trip to Namibia, I can honestly say that there is no comparisson and it is worth every penny to go with Turnstone!

Lunch of homemade pate and nicoise salad in the dunes will be a memory that stays with me for a very long time!

Visited June 2011
Norway
“Sandwich Harbour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

We had a great trip to Sandwich Harbour with Wayne. He is extremely knowledgeable and understood what we were interested in. It's a great experience to race with the tide to get to Sandwich harbour. A lot of interesting things to see along the way, especially the archeological remains of the Topnaar people. We had a lovely lunch next to a dune and the food was delicious. I really recommend this trip.

Visited January 2011
Warwickshire
65 attraction reviews
“If you do only one tour in Swakopmund make it this one we had the BEST time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2011

We went on the Namib Desert tour and it was just fantastic. We were also very lucky that we were the only 2 guests.

Our Guide Ernest possibly the nicest person we have ever met and was fantastic we learnt so much from him. We explored the moonscape and desert and his enthusiasm for our surroundings and nature was infectious. We also learnt so much about 'normal' life in Namibia which was a great insight and nice to have as sometimes you just see the 'tourist' side of a country. He and my husband have a farming background in common so they had some great discussions.

We saw the most amazing geological features as well as some man made ‘additions’ such as the Mica mines I still cannot get over how fascinating that was and how beautiful the sparkling effect was that we then noticed in other places after that. The magnetised sand was another revelation.

We stopped and had a great lunch under a shady overhang which was the most beautiful place I think I have ever had a meal ever.

Visited February 2011