“Pemba Beach - shower heads!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Pemba
London, United Kingdom
“Pemba Beach - shower heads!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Stayed here on business for 3 nights in Feb 15. The hotel is probably the only reasonable hotel in Pemba. It is situated about 10-15 mins from airport. To get there you will get a flavour of the area, basically the roads are unmade and that's what takes the time.
Hotel itself, first impressions not bad, photos probably don't do it justice. It's very orange and quite sprawling, set over several blocks. There are a number of golf carts to transport guests to some of the further locations.
The outside decor is good, nice bar and restaurants. The hotel was quite empty when I was there, it is hard to tell because it's big, but there didn't seem to be many people around. Those that were appeared to be business visitors also and discussing offshore oil and mining, which is the developing thing in the region. As it was quite empty the staff were very helpful and personal, almost too much. I ate in the restaurant one evening and I was the only persons in there at one point and had about 3 staff stood around me, which I found quite off putting, I prefer to just be left alone, but the instant my glass went down slightly, it was being refilled or my plate removed immediately. Some may off course like that, but not me.
There is a lovely infinity pool and beds, and a beach, not sure it's one you could use, more just a location. as it appeared to be quite rocky. Plus another pool with sun beds. A reasonably well equipped gym, which is difficult to find at first because signage is poor.
Venturing out is a limited option and I didn't do it, but there is little in the hotel if you don't. One sort of shop and one coffee type shop which sold for some strange reason - deli products.
The room was not bad, clean and well maintained. I was ground floor with a patio out to the sea front. A good tv, with lots of channels - sports and movies. My only,real criticism of the room was the shower had no shower head, so the water just sort of pours out rather than sprays. I thought maybe it was just my room, but a colleague stayed later and had the same in a different room. I don't think it's very good for water conservation. Having said that it rained constantly for about two days, really heavy. When it wasn't raining, it was very hot. The Internet at the hotel though was excellent, considering where we were, and worked most the time, better than some of the places you get in the uk!? What didn't work though was the electricity, there is a problem with the local generator which was broken and a smaller generator is supporting the town - not helped by the rain, there were power cuts constantly, at one stage it was like every half and hour, but the power always returned in a couple of minutes. The hotel lighting is poor, it was pretty dark anyway but during a power cut it is pitch black - take a torch and if your on the running machine or in the shower just hang on, power will return quickly!
All in all not bad hotel with most facilities you need and certainly suited to the business visitor.

Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
Jonathan P, Executive Assistant Manager at AVANI Pemba Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear Dave L,

Warm greetings from AVANI Pemba Beach Hotel & Spa.

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent visit to our hotel.

Pemba is a developing city and the local authorities are working to restore infrastructures such as energy and road networks.

I very much appreciate your feedback pertaining to the shower heads and lighting around the hotel which is something we are aware of and planning to rectify.

There are some shops at the hotel, one of which is a gourmet deli store concept catering to guests who occupy our long term self catering apartments and non-residents, whilst the other shop has more day to day accessories for our guests.

Please feel free to contact me when you wish to return it will be my pleasure to personally assist you with your reservation arrangements and ensure we take excellent care of you once again.

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2015

Stayed here for 2 nights on business. Rooms are in several blocks in a resort type layout. Room 615 was a 2min walk and had the most amazing views of the beach (I believe all rooms starting with 6 have this view and are on the upper floor) Beautiful hotel with stunning surroundings and constant security on the 'resort'. Conference room had the best air conditioning of the hotel. Staff were very helpful and you could request use of the hotel buggy if you needed a lift. Only two complaints - in 2 days I had 2 issues when trying to open my safe, and I believe other colleagues had similar issues. Also food was average - I ordered steak from the a la carte which was tough and with a lot of fat and grizzle. Also buffet had little protection from birds and insects which had flown inside which meant a lot of 'pecked' bread! Also - remember and take a south African 3 pin travel plug!

Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
Jonathan P, Executive Assistant Manager at AVANI Pemba Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear Cleasho,

Warm greetings from AVANI Pemba Beach Hotel & Spa.

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent visit to our hotel for your organisation's conference.

I appreciate your feedback regarding quality of the steak which will be addressed by our culinary team. Quirimbas restaurant is an open air restaurant with sea views and the bakery products will be closer monitored in the future.

Many of our rooms have facilities for travelers requiring adapters while they are also available from our guest services team.

It's very pleasing to learn that our team of associates had always been on hand to assist and your compliments will be relayed to the team.

Catfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2015

Thank you so much for the return of an item very dear to my husband that was left in his room and returned to us. The honesty of whoever handed it in is outstanding and will always be remembered. Special thanks also to james and johnathan!

Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
Jonathan P, Executive Assistant Manager at AVANI Pemba Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 28, 2015
Dear Shence1,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your visit to our hotel.

I am delighted to learn that your husband's item was successfully returned to you. I will be sure to share your feedback with the entire team.

George
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2015

Had problems with credit card, hot water, power and housekeeping staff knocking on my door at 8 am every morning. Flies at breakfast not great. While i realize it is a area problem they don't try very hard to keep them off the very plain breakfast buffet, For the price compared with world wide prices definitely not value for money.... 4 star place with 3 star service and 5 star prices

• Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
Jonathan P, Executive Assistant Manager at AVANI Pemba Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 4, 2015
Dear Russell858892,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your visit to our hotel.

I am sorry to learn that you had experienced some short fall in service which I can assure you will be addressed with the team. Hygiene is taken very seriously and we have an active pest control program in place, unfortunately this year's wet season affecting the region has compounded the issue.

Surrey UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2015

Stayed at hotel 18-20 feb on business check in ok after changing room to ensure double bed instead of larger room but 2 single beds. Wifi only worked in bar and main part of hotel so pretty much useless as had to work in bar area for wifi, not the end of the world but annoying. Bed was hard as nails but I know to make allowances and not to expect usual 5 star service. All in all ok, staff were very happy to help. Did have upset stomach on returning to Joburg for remainder of trip but can't confirm if hotel was responsible, but breakfast food is all out in open and as you would expect insects everywhere. Food needs to be kept under wraps.

Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
Jonathan P, Executive Assistant Manager at AVANI Pemba Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 3, 2015
Dear petrol1967,

Warm greetings from AVANI Pemba Beach Hotel & Spa.

I appreciate your feedback regarding experiencing some connectivity challenges with the WIFI in certain areas of the hotel, I would like to assure you that we are presently in the process of installing additional repeaters to improve the service.

I am sorry to learn that you had been unwell, the hotel follows an established food safety management system. The breakfast buffet is temperature controlled with refrigeration for chilled items and food warmers for hot food.

Maputo, Mozambique
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2015

Internationally maybe not really a 5-star hotel, but for Pemba it is. I have been there several times every year since they opened in 2001 / 2002 and it is a very charming place. They have been growing very much since the Gas sector took off in Pemba, some 5 years ago, but is still a very nice place. Quality of food, service etc. has not been stable and they still have problems with WiFi and Internet (they have always had problems with that), for example. That surprises me because they have, since 1,5 year, the national tvCabo company in Pemba and should be able to provide a stable internet service at the hotel by now. Since I changed to tvCabo for my company in Pemba, we never experienced any real problem. It is a challenging place to operate a 5 star hotel in, but with the prices they charge they should be able to have enough back-up water and power...AND trained technicians to run it by now, almost 15 years since opening.

Room Tip: Old section, first floor, seaview is best.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Dear Nicolandia,

Warm greetings from the recently re-branded AVANI Pemba Beach Hotel & Spa.

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent return visit to our hotel.

I appreciate your feedback relating to the internet which we recognise is a key service to our valued guests and particularly business travelers. Unfortunately during the earlier part of this year our internet providers had been affected by the severe weather in northern Mozambique resulting in some service disruption at the hotel which has since been resolved. We are now installing additional repeaters throughout the hotel to improve WIFI connectivity.

doha
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2015

Well after travel all Mozambique from Maputo till the north stoping in major cities Pemba resort was like reaching even. That pool without end the starts at night, the room and the personnel made those 10 nights unforgettable...did my PADI open water there...with a instructor British lady...no words. Need to come back some day

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Renatocosta,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your visit to our hotel.

Unfortunately at this time we do not have diving available, please feel feel to share your feedback with me directly; jpayne@minorhotelgroup.com

Executive Assistant Manager

Been to AVANI Pemba Beach Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!