“Amazing!!” 5 of 5 stars

Verona, Veneto, Italy
“Amazing!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

it was wonderful!
We spent two days in this wonderful hotel! The view from our window, I can not forget ever! This crazy sense of the vast ocean. stunning rooftop terrace, we were there alone. Sunbathed and drank Moroccan tea! in the alleys of the old town, we found the fish market! There you can choose the fish and whey can cook it for a little money! seen from any city in Morocco we most loved this place. Breakfast was delicious! I advise all room, overlooking the ocean. This is a fabulous!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Rockford, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

This house is really beautifully renovated, with due respect given to the lovely period features and an excellent eye for decoration. The finishes are really a class above those used in most of the other riads I've seen in Essaouira (and I've seen a few!) and the owner, Diane, has a really lovely aesthetic sense. Saida and Abdul Rahman, who take care of the house, are wonderful, patient, and helpful people. They took care of us incredibly well while we were there. I can't recommend this place highly enough! On top of all of that, the location is as good as it gets in Essaouira -- right off the main square, with an amazing view of the port from the terrace. This place is lovely, well cared for, and feels like a home away from home. I'll be back as soon as I can.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

After much research I decided to stay at Riad de la Mer and I definately was not disappointed, when I saw our room I wanted to cry as it was so beautiful, I felt like I was in a photo shoot for Elle Decoration!

Diane (the owner) is from the UK, she was quick to respond to our booking enquiry and gave us plenty of useful information about the riad and Essouira in general. We arranged to meet Abdul the caretaker, who took us to the Riad which is near the front of the town down a dark alley/tunnel, I must admit that I felt abit apprehensive as it was so dark, but once inside there is a colourful tiled court yard with several communal rooms such as a kitchen, salon and large dining room. Looking up to the sky there are 3 floors above you which have a separate beautiful apartment on each floor, filled with gorgeous antiques, and nicknacks such as vintage kaftans on the walls and huge gilt mirrors. Each apartment is completely different. We had asked for the salon on the rooftop, which is like a mini apartment separate from the main one, the stairs are very steep, but the climb is well worth it!

Our room was clean and bright in shades of cream and white, there was a cute tiled wet room off the bedroom and separate lounge area with a fireplace (I could imagine that it would be fab to be there in the winter when you could get cosy by the fire) there was a welcolme fridge and kettle in the room. The place was filled with unusual bits and pieces which I loved as it was so homely and very different to anywhere I have stayed before.

There was a large Terrace on the top of the riad which gave you amazing views of the town, this area could do with being done up abit, it could be as amazing as the rest of the house, as so much thought has gone into everything else, it lets the place down ever so slightly (maybe a shaded area and some cushioned daybeds would have been nice).

Saida the maid (and Aduls wife) made us gorgeous breakfasts every morning with freshly squeezed orange juice, lovely coffee and fresh bread with homemade jams etc

This place would be perfect for a large group of friends to stay together but at the same time having the privacy of individual apartments. It would be a great place for a party, or for New Year Eve for example, and the communal areas would be perfect to socialise and eat together.

In all, It was one of the most beautiful places I have ever stayed! I hope that I get to stay there again some day and at £47 a night for our room an absolute bargain.

Room Tip: each room is different, so worth looking at any photos of the riad to see which you would prefer.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Horsham, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

My husband and I spent a weekend in Marrakech last year and as much as we enjoyed it, were slightly apprehensive about returning to Morocco with our young family. Fortunately for us we need not have worried. Essaouira is a smaller, less daunting version of Marrakech and has the best of both worlds, the hustle and bustle of the souks, with the sea breeze just around the corner.
Diane, the riad owner, was most helpful. She thankfully organised our transfers and answered our endless list of queries...
Riad de la Mer is beautiful, a hidden haven of tranquility, perfect after a few hours of shopping the souks. We have been home a week now and are already trying to organise a trip back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

We have visited Essouira many times and stayed in many different riads and hotels but this was just perfect. As a party of 8 we really apreciated having space to meet together on the wonderful roof and ground floor, but opportunity for privacy with personal facilities on each of the four other floors. This place has a wonderful atmosphere, it is peaceful, serene, calming and comfortable with enough authenticity to leave us in doubt that we were in an ancient medina, but without too much plush opulence - we could imbibe rich colours, tastes, smells and sights outside the doors of our haven! Clean, fresh, with historic tiles and woodwork, beautifully chosen souirran artifacts and delightful and efficent staff, this is a riad I would recommend to everyone!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

So nice i mean just what a hol should be great place ,great people,great riad really safe no trouble and the veiw was the best the whole riad was excellant and the lovely saida offered us any room witch was nice but we stayed up top it feels like a castle my wife said the stairs do keep you fit but its worth it !!breakfast was great abdul is like your best uncle keep doing what your doing its just right and any one looking at this for a holiday its great value and lovely location the sea breeze helps trust me. bad points there is none ! oops sorry i forgot seagulls noisy at 5 am and i got gas bill when i got home thats all folks!! just go !!

Room Tip: any they are all great!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Yamba, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

This is a gorgeous riad, beautifully decorated and well-positioned. We stayed for 2 nights only and wished we had a week or more. We had the room on the top floor which was really bright and sunny and had its own access to a private roof terrace. The bathroom is located down a short flight of stairs and has low head room - not a problem for us but might be if you are 6 ft. We found it really cute. There are a lot of stairs to climb, something to be aware of if you are unfit. Breakfast on the roof terrace is a must as there are great views of the port and fishing harbour and its lovely to sit in the sun and take in the views. Friends we were travelling with stayed on the first floor which meant that they actually had an apartment to themselves, two bedrooms, a bathroom and use of the kitchen. This would be great for a family.

Room Tip: Loved the room at the top, but I'm sure all the rooms are excellent.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Riad de la Mer? Share your experiences!