“My Moroccan Family” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Dar Afram

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Essaouira
Riad Dar Afram
Save Saved
You added Riad Dar Afram to your Saves list
10,rue Sidi Magdoul, Essaouira 44000, Morocco   |
Ranked #11 of 78 Hotels in Essaouira
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“My Moroccan Family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

My fist visit to Dar Afram was in 2004 and I instantly fell in love with beautiful Essaouira and Dar Afram. On my first visit I met Abdul and Doris and their little daughters. They made my three friends and myself very welcome. From that visit I have regarded them as my Moroccan family. Later the same year I returned with my daughter and the year after with my grandson. There have been many visits since with various friends. I have always had a superb stay and everyone who has visited with me has enjoyed the experience and have had nothing but compliments for Abdul, Taz and the riad. My daughter has also returned to stay at Dar Afram. I have always felt welcome and cared for and I have met some wonderful and talented people. The house is spotlessly clean, the food is excellent quality, the atmosphere is relaxed and happy. The music is fantastic and Abdul and his son Taz are excellent hosts. The girls who keep house and cook have all be lovely, friendly young women who have ensured the needs of the guests have been met. Over the years I have become good friends with Abdul, Doris and Taz and I know that when I visit they will make sure my stay is a happy one filled with good memories. That to me is priceless. My next visit is booked!

Room Tip: I think I have stayed in every room at some time. All rooms are excellent and of equal quality.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

Initially I was just planning a couple of days in Essaouira, but when I found how good Dar Afram and Essaouira were I decided to stayed for the whole week. I'd have to say Dar Afram must be the best in Essouira, so I'd strongly advise booking to stay here - you won't be disappointed.

So to give a little info, Dar Afram is tucked away in the medina of Essouira but as soon as you walk in its a riad like no other. Really nicely decorated, with great areas to chill out inside and out, rooms were excellent, and always great music playing on the hifi. Abdul who runs Dar Afram (named after his old band!) is an amazing host, really goes the extra mile to look after everyone who stays - as he says its more like a home than a hotel.

There's also various guitars / percussion scattered around the riad, and in the evening we often played some tunes / had a jam, with Abdul singing some of his songs. If you are a musician or just into music, i'd definitely recommend staying here, always great songs on the playlist. Also being in the heart of Esssouira you can always pop out to eat, but Dar Afram also do excellent home cooked food in the evenings which i'd recommend.

Overall, I would definitely recommend staying here. I'm planning on heading back to Essouira soon, and Dar Afram will definitely be the first place I go when I arrive.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Reine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

As a female solo-traveler in Morocco I get my share of 'attention', which sometimes makes it hard to really relax in a place. I am very pleased to say that Dar Afram offers genuine hospitality, great food, bedrooms with private bathrooms, a wonderful and kind atmosphere and good company throughout.
I stayed in the middle of January which is low season, had some days with bad weather (great waves though) and a quiet hostel with only a few other guests. I liked it!
I'm sure I'll be back and hope to be able to use the roof-terrace then too :)

Room Tip: As far as I could see, all rooms are good. Be prepared for sounds traveling throughout the house tho...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

I love writing reviews 
Dar Afram riad was easy to find just off the main street, it was down a side street on the right hand side and was easy sign posted. Although, we pre-loaded the location on a map on our iPhones

The entrance door is a beautiful big blue door, we rung the bell and the owner Abdul answered the door. He is friendly and outgoing. As we were early our door was not ready, so we went and had breakfast on the roof top. It wasn’t at all. The roof top area consists of a inner bottom area which is adjacent to a upstairs kitchen, then there is upper roof top area which has a great view of the town. We left our belongings outside our room and took a look around the town then came and checked in. you pay at the end not like hostels.
We were put in the family room which consisted of a double bed, which was real comfy, and two single beds and a bathroom. I found the riad really cold and had to ask for a blanket, there is no heating. As a result, the bathrooms get a damp this time of the year – nothing dries inside. We had two nights in that room then had to move another room, not really sure why. The second room was even colder than the first perhaps because it was on the second floor. it was closer to the Wi-Fi though which we couldn’t get in the previous room on the top floor. The wi fi only lets 3-4 people on it and you can’t get it in your room.

The rooms are secure you get your own set of keys. You don’t get a key for the front door those and as a result you need to ring the bell each time you want back in.
I was a bit surprised about the breakfasts to be honest it is French breakfast, which I wasn’t impressed with. It consisted off, cut up French bread, a croissant, coffee and juice. I saw Moroccan pancakes in the kitchen though, perhaps they were only for staff?. We stayed for four nights and each time the coffee was cold or stone cold, not sure why this was as I could see they had a filter coffee on a hot plate upstairs. Also, it was orange season at that time so I expected fresh orange juice – it was very sweet concentrate juice

The riad was full and everyone had dinner that night in the inner roof top our first night, which was nice but it was quite cold to be honest at this time of the year. It was mix of guest early 20s girls from ozzie, early 30s form Canadian a older couple from Belgium. Guys in their 20s from Norway. We got the first dinner free as the riad had deal on trip adviser. Dinner Moroccan rice and salad – some people got dessert and after waiting a while I was a bit confused if we were all going to get a one.. Which we didn’t. …strange! We had dinner there a second night it was a vegetarian meal which I enjoyed it was 3 courses and cost 100 DH each. I’m not sure what the alcohol cost as we didn’t get any – a bottle of water was 10/15 DH.

Also, my final thoughts, this is a music themed riad and after a long trip around morocco we wanted a quite relaxing time, I guess we shouldn’t have stayed here. The music didn’t stop until 11-12pm each night so if you wanted a quite night you’re a bit out of luck or if you don’t particularly like continue retro/bob marley type music. The music resonates throughout the whole riad you can’t escape it – I found my earplugs helped only a little but then I’m a light sleeper.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms at the top
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

We would highly recommend this riad in essaouria for any travelers wanting a relaxed and friendly place to stay. Abdul and his staff are fun to be around and do everything they can to make it a great stay. The terrace is beautiful and a great place to have breakfast and some sunset drinks at the end of the day. If your into your music, the nightly jam sessions will be right up your alley!!!

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Salisbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

Words can't do this place justice. Abdul and staff welcomed my wife and son into this place so much so that a one night stay turned into 5 nights in total. the food, company and music at this place make it such a lovely place. Our favourite place we have ever stayed.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good, however hot water isnt brilliant but it doesnt get that cold here either.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

This Riad is a really interesting and unique spot which is definitely worth visiting. My boyfriend and I felt really welcomed by the staff. The riad is co-run by a father and son who are very open to having a good chat day or night.

While the rooms weren't cleaned daily, it's fitting with the family vibe and it suited us perfectly as it was very laid back. Each evening there were music sessions in the courtyard, which makes this place a good choice for solo travelers looking to chat to others, and musicians who play guitar.

Whenever people ask me about my trip to Morocco, Dar Afram is the first thing I tell them about- thank you for a memorable stay!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad Dar Afram? Share your experiences!