“delusion” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Dar Adul

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Essaouira
Dar Adul
63, rue Touahen, Essaouira, Morocco   |
Ranked #25 of 156 Essaouira B&B and Inns
EUROPE
“delusion”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2009

We entered the house and the first thing I noticed was a pair of shoes in the kitchen where a woman was preparing something in a dirty room...Rooms smell humidity alot.
Don't reserve the rooms in the patio cause you ll not have privacy at all.
Sorry to talk only negative but I don't see what positive can be there.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

103 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

We originally only booked for three nights, but after arriving in this gorgeous home, we decided to extend our stay to five nights!

The House is gorgeous, beautiful and vibrantly decorated throughout with very individualized rooms that are all different and special in their own way! This place is a superb retreat, that has a good location within the medina (the most beautiful part of the town), the staff are great and make you feel very welcome and part of there family! Our room was superb, with its own little roof terrace, just next to the main terrace that was gorgeous and positioned right on the sea front, with great views and sunsets directly across the ocean front!

Great stay at a great price for such a lovely place, highly recommended!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
rochester
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2009

.....I really thought that i would arrived in a warm and welcoming house: wrong....
I thought that being decorated by an artist, it would be tastefull....wrong again....
The rooms were really damp.....I was expecting another souvenir from such a lovely and quaint little town....but jI will never go back to that House!

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2009

We spent almost three weeks in Morocco in Winter '09. We were trying to find the sweet-spot between "backpacker-ish" and "unnecessarily-overpriced". Morocco is still short on accommodations that fall into that sweet-spot, but Dar Adul was by far our favorite of everywhere we stayed. Regarding the previous reviews from 2007, I can only conclude that this place must have been heavily renovated and the management changed since then.

Imagine bright white walls, and bursts of color everywhere, from the art that covers the walls. The rooms, the hallways, the common areas: all are covered with paintings in styles very appropriate to Morocco and to Essaouira's location on the beach. The rooms themselves are decorated warmly and fully. Our own home is much more sedate and modern, but these were done very, very nicely. To some people it would be cluttered, but we found it harmonious, creative, and welcoming. (One thing to note: Essaouira is known for a style of art sometimes called "primitivist". This isn't everyone's cup of tea, but try to enjoy and respect it for what it is, and get past writing it off as childish.) The owners are apparently artists, as is the lovely young man who manages the place day-to-day. He was wonderful to us.

Breakfast was complete and served with warmth, and yet typical of Moroccan breakfasts we had: I never quite learned to love them, as much as I appreciated the coffee and excellent fresh juice. This was as good as any we had.

The house is lovely, with a sun-drenched roof-top that overlooks the western ramparts and the pounding surf. Even in winter, we were plenty warm, which was a problem other places we stayed. The rooms we looked at were all wonderful: each more interesting and creatively decorated than the last, with spacious tiled bathrooms.

I think we paid maybe 80 Euro a night, and thought it was a bargain. I'd strongly recommend it unless you're planning on spending lots more. We extended by a night just to enjoy it longer.

The location is just slightly off the beaten path, but is convenient from the parking at the port. Once you find it, you'll be happy and find it easy to get around. But give yourself 15 minutes or so to deal with the unmarked streets of the Medina the first time, and get a good local map. :-)

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2009

The Riad is well located and the staff friendly. The rooms are clean. In winter the rooms are heated with gass heaters which makes them a bit smelly and you need to turn the heater off before you go to sleep.

Breakfast was adiquate. The owner is very helpfull and recomended great restaurants to us. The riad is a lrelazed place to stay and all the staff are very helpfull. The bathrooms are a little tired.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Madison, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2008

I stayed at the Dar Adul at the suggestion of a French woman, who lives in Essaouria, in early October 2007. I had wanted something "small," "personal," "romantic," and "comfortable," and "ne pas cher," (not expensive!)

Dar Adul turned out to be expensive for what it was, however, and after staying two nights, I promptly found another, much better located, less expensive and much more comfortable place to stay, on my own!

That said, the proprietor of Dar Adul is a lovely, French woman who lives in a large apartment at the Dar Adul. I only saw her once, when she graciously welcomed me on my arrival. She brought in a small plate of olives and crackers, which was a nice touch. Then, I never saw her again.

That was unfortunate, as her staff was not friendly, nor welcoming. And, it was they whom I had to deal with when coming and going. The place itself is very claustrophobic, lots of decorative "touches" everywhere, but ultimately, not a restful scene. The rooms are "cheek-to-jowl," overlooking a small courtyard. There is no privacy as the walkways are in front of the windowed entrance to the rooms. And, when it is hot (as it gets in Morocco!) one had to leave the windows and door open for air circulation.... Oh, and one cannot lock the door. That the proprietor stated upon showing me to my room. (What!?)

My bed was in a loft (w/a low ceiling) up a creaky, old wooden stair... and the mattress was not at all comfortable, nor were the pillows. (Oh, sheets and towels...? Well, let me be polite by saying, they were not soft or fluffy, respectively.) The lighting, too, was depressing and dismal, throughout.

I hate to write this review, but I think anyone booking this hotel should know of my experience! It was not a particularly enjoyable one... and I couldn't wait to get out of there.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Cardiff, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2007

Stayed here for 3 nights after originally booking 9 - we left to try and find better accomodation and only stayed the three because we had paid in advance.

I agree with the previous reviewer - we had a great problem with the damp in the riad. I had chosen the most expensive room thinking it would be the best - 80 euros a night for a room with a "loft bedroom". It was like staying in someones basement - this room is on the ground floor straight off the courtyard where everyone sits to have their breakfast. There is no natural light in there so even in the middle of the day it is dark and you have to have the lights on - there is one window (covered with a blanket), but if you open it then everyone outside can see in. Also, we ended up tiptoeing around in there and whispering as the other people outside are in such close proximity to the room.
It also has a damp problem - it retains the damp (which was particulalrly bad in this riad) which is obviously made worse by the fact that you cannot open the window/door for air or sunlight.
All of our clothes became very very damp smelly and obviously unpleasant to wear. What makes this even worse is that the storage place for clothes is in the bathroom!
The two ladies who run the place daily are two nuns - the ownesr did not show their faces once whilst we were there. The nuns are obviously aware of the damp problem - every time we left the riad, when we returend they ahd left the window and our door wide open - meaning the room and all of our possessions were easily accessible to erevyone staying there - passports, money, ipod, etc etc
The terrace is a dump - maybe it is more plesant in the summer - again everywhere is very wet and damp and all of the damp furniture (and there is a lot of it) is piled up in a corner of the terrace like a jumble sale/bonfire - the terrace was dirty and bleak.
We had absolutely freezing cold water for the three nights we were there and when we mentioned it to the nun, we were simply told it was because of the solar heating.
We had paid for three nights in advance, and so we stayed for these three and gave them 24 hrs notice that we would be leaving. But when we left - they still tried to make us pay for 4 nights and the nun kept chasing us with a bill which she insisted we pay! She even went outside to get a local man to come in and explain to us that we had to pay for 4 nights in English (she was French) - but we calmly explained to him that we had already paid for 3 nights and given 24 hrs notice that we were leaving - and there was no hot water!
I am sure there are much better places to stay - I would not recommend this place at all - as the previous person said, there are other much better riads and we were treated much much better in Mrrakech by the owner there.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Damp
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Dar Adul? Share your experiences!