“Ocean View Tastique” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Mimouna

You added Riad Mimouna to your Saves list
Riad Mimouna
4.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   62, Rue d'Oujda | Sandillon, Essaouira 44000, Morocco   |
Ranked #47 of 161 Essaouira B&B and Inns
London
“Ocean View Tastique”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

We flew in to Marakesh and after a long taxi journey of near misses (people, dogs, cyclists and other cars with no lights) at night we arrived at the gates of the city. We then had our bags portered in a hand trolley and trundled at some pace through still busy alleys. An exciting start to our stay!! The Riad was a haven of tranquility and peace from the constant movement of the rest of the city and we were glad of this rest time. Our room had the sea view which was constantly changing and we were fascinated by the daring exploits of the young lads tombstoning off rocks and men collecting seafood from the rock pools below. The breakfasts are continental in style with the thrill of an extra treat from the kitchen each day: pancakes/muffin/crumpets. All with delicious honey and wake up coffee served on the top floor in a covered terrasse, if its too windy to brave the outdoor space (cleaned every morning). The hotel is well oiled and the staff are very good at what they do. I highly recommend.The city is exciting and lots to discover in the maze of streets. We ventured out through the city to the outskirts of town past the horse and carts and the car mechanic repair zone to find a supermarket for some lunch items; although this was more expensive it turned out than eating out. There are also clothing quarters where the ornate trims are made and jewellery sections where you can browse without being pressured. We loved Silvestro for Italian food and Taros for cocktails and magician who got my watch without me noticing or feeling!

Room Tip: Ocean view mini suite
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
HotelRiadMimouna, Responsable réception at Riad Mimouna, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear client,

We would like to thank you for your special comments, we do appreciate that !!!

we are very pleased to count you among our best clients

And I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you in the very near future!

Best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

Amazing riad in a nice location. Our room was overlooking the ocean and had a glass wall. The sound of the waves in the night is unforgettable. We'll maintained, clean riad, nice staff. Definitely worth visiting!

Room Tip: Choose the suite with the ocean view, worth paying a bit more.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
wiwixmimouna, Responsable réception at Riad Mimouna, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear client,

Thank you so much for your comments, we appreciate that !!!

And I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you in the very near future!

Best regards, and ave a great week !!!
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

Amazing views down the rampart walls and ever-changing coast. As an artist I spent some hours just looking out the window at the rocks that emerged from the waves and painting the coastline (yes I brought my oil paints and canvases to Morocco with me). Food was okay...by this time we had had enough tajine for the time being anyway. Service was fine. People are very friendly. Be sure to visit the Berber store just steps from Mimouna's front door. The proprietor is wonderful and he is happy to pour you some tea and discuss the meaning of the many Berber designs of jewelry he carries. We recommend Essaouira and Merzouga where we stayed at Auberge du Sud at the edge of the desert. Love, love, love both these places on our trip organized by Ibex Expeditions who are focused on real experiences so we knew we'd get the flavor of Morocco.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a water view. Ours was a corner room right above the reception desk.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

We appreciate that you take time to give us your positive feed back!

I will transfer your compliments to my staff; it is the biggest reward for their daily effort and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you in the very near future!

St. Albans, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

A beautiful Riad built into the Medina wall, We would recommend a room facing the sea, as the views are simply spectacular. Staff were very friendly and helpful and we were made to feel welcome. The terrace is exposed to the sea winds, so we found it to be too cold to enjoy in February. The meals were disappointing and the dining room was depressingly empty. We stayed for 10 days on half board and no choice of menu was offered for breakfast or dinner. There are plenty of restaurants within walking distance however. Although in the Medina it is not within the Souk which is about 5 minutes walk - 15 minutes from the port. The traders in the Souk were far less aggressive than in Marrakech.

Room Tip: Sea facing rooms have spectacular views
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
wiwixmimouna, Responsable réception at Riad Mimouna, responded to this review, March 4, 2014

First I would like to thank you for choosing hotel Riad Mimouna

I would also like to thank you for your constructive feedback,and like to express my sincerest apologies because the food in the restaurant wasn't as good as you imagine it.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your review on Tripadvisor.

verteillac
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

Had a superb room overlooking the sea.Beds extremely comfortable and excellent bathrooms.
Lovely to have breakfast on the terrace and sunbathe afterwards.For me quite a long walk but sorted by sitting in the luggage cart.Drawbacks no wifi in the room and no lift.
Otherwise loved it.Forget Marrakech,make a beeline here.

Room Tip: Obviously one overlooking the sea.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Milan, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

I chose this Riad quite last minutes and the "best" Riad were all fully booked
Honestly I was very happy with this choice. The Riad is located on the perimeter walls of the medina, literally on the sea. The view from the terrace is probably one of the best than you can get in whole essaouira even if it's quite it's quite impossible to have breakfast outside for the number of bees that jump on the jam and honey.
Nevertheless you can have breakfast in the indoor terrace ( with view) and relax on the outdoor terrace
Rooms are fine, Wifi connection quite a disaster. It's definitely more a hotel than a Riad
Overall a very good value for money.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
wiwixmimouna, Responsable réception at Riad Mimouna, responded to this review, January 18, 2014

Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

Unfortunately while the views of the sea from the Riad are excellent, even special, the overall experience of the Riad is very disappointing.

The Riad is large, dark, dank, cold and tired which is in stark contrast to the more intimate, well managed cared for and beautiful Riads I had the pleasure of staying at in Fes and Marrakech. The Riad is tired and needs to be refurbished, paint is peeling and cracked, the bathrooms need a significant upgrade and while the room is clean it does not appear clean

A pity

M Melbourne

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

First I would like to thank you for choosing hotel Riad Mimouna

I would also like to thank you for your constructive feedback,and I would like to express my sincerest apologies for that.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your review on Tripadvisor.

Sincerely

Been to Riad Mimouna? Share your experiences!