“It's Fantastic!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #39 of 77 Hotels in Essaouira
London, England, United Kingdom
“It's Fantastic!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Auberge Tangaro is just 5 mintues from the centre of Essaouira by cab which only cost 40 Dirham and is only a 10 minute walk from the beach. The rooms were traditional, bright and clean. We had a log fire in our room which was amazing as the evenings got a bit cold, don't panic we visited in winter. The main dinning room, patio area and loungers are full of character and perfect for lounging about. Younes, Kamel and the lovely lady who prepared the food (Mrs Younes I believe) went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable and comfortable. We stayed in lots of place all over Morocco, this was by far my favourite. I'm going to go back and use the Hammam which was being built and due to be finished two days after we left. If you go and stay make sure you ask Younes wife to make you one of her fantastic omelettes and give Black the labrador and scratch from me.
Vicky from London

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Tangaro, Propriétaire at Auberge Tangaro, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Vicky,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post on our property and for your kind words. I think Tangaro and our staff are fantastic as well and I appreciate your saying so!

By the way, Christine, one of the two kitchen managers with whom you have befriended and who charmingly prepared your meals, is not my wife. I am not married yet !

We hope you come back and visit us again soon!

Warmest regards from Younes and Tangaro's staff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Auberge Tangaro was recommended by a friend as the best place for me to stay in Essaouira and I was not disappointed. An almost 100 year old hotel which the present owner has developed retaining its charm, while adding boutique accommodation at the top end.

The Staff work together as a family; the meals having already been described in detail by others, I'll just add that I was pleased to see my favorite wine there - Cabernet Sauvignon (Moroccan), and also that there's a pleasant walk through the Golf Course to the sea.

It's an easy place for single people like myself to be (I stayed 3 weeks to do some writing), but I think it would be a romantic place also for couples to rediscover simple pleasures - all those candles along with the private sunbathing areas of some suites ... Even a small children's play area.

Who would it not suit? Club Med types (kindly don't go and spoil the atmosphere) or those wanting standard hotel accommodation with Morocco 'wallpapered' on.

Room Tip: If uncertain email or ring the owner Younes and describe what you are looking. Basically it's ei...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear Hazel,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post on our property and for your kind words. We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us and we also keep an excellent souvenir of you being our guest!

We hope you come back and visit us again soon!

Warmest regards from Younes and Tangaro's staff
Casablanca, Morocco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

We had a peaceful and relaxing stay at this cute little Auberge. The staff is very friendly and helpful and the meals were some of my favourite in Morocco.

The dining room is completely lit by candles - dozens of them. There isn't a menu, instead talk to any of the staff earlier in the day if you plan on having dinner there that evening... You will hear what's planned or available and have a chance to add your input to what's made for that evening. We were served a squash soup (which was super) and a beef and prune tajine (also fantastic). There is also a small selection of better Moroccan wines available, the red went well with out tajine.

This was our second visit to Tangaro. This time we stayed in a room with electricity, which came in handy for recharging cameras and phones. The first time we were in the old wing with more simple rooms (but still nice) which were also candle-lit.

The grounds are great - lounge chairs in a rock garden, old trees and a no-longer-functioning windmill. Breakfast tables on a central terrace with rustic-y umbrellas. There is also a common room with books and comfy chairs for rainy days. At night the grounds are lit by dozens of candle-lanterns and some indirect electrical lighting.

We are Canadian but staying in Casablanca and I couldn't believe how quiet the evening was. The light rustling of the trees was the only sound. It was great for sleeping.

Room Tip: There are rooms with and without electricity. The ones without are cheaper. There is also a new ap...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Excellent and charming place for a peacefull stay a few minutes drive from the noisy medina. The rooms are spacious, bright, fresh and charming. The staff is very kind. The lightening with candles at night is so romantic, and the food is great.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I stayed at Auberge Tangaro during the 2012 Ganoua Festival. I decided to escape the cacaphony of sounds and buzz of people and stay in Diabat, venturing out to the festival when I wished. Diabat is across the bay from Essaouria. I found Auberge Tangaro simply delightful. Younes the propriotor was very kind, helpful and friendly, as were his staff.
My favourite thing at Tangaro was the elegant, beauty and monastic austerity of the dining room. The orginal 1920's Echer esq floor was such a treat, the simple unclothed wooden tables and large gold candelbras resting upon them plus the open fire all gave warmth to the room, the fire gave off excellent warmth and warm golden light. All of this and of course the delicious cuisine made the experience like something from a Emily Bronte novel, but with a true Moroccan flavour of course!.
I loved the rooms, again elegant, simple and tasteful with rustic berber rugs and soft furnishings, a red brick open fireplace, walls of classical white wash with blue trimmings all so fresh......Tangaro is a real must if you find yourself in Essaouria.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Antwerp, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Where do I start, the view, the decor, the tranquility, the people... Second time in this place and it never disappoints. Came here in July for a holiday and I am back in september for some more. It is situated outside of the hustle and bustle of the medina (5 minutes by petit taxi into town), which is ideal for those who want tranquility in their travels. The rooms are soberly and beautifully decorated, and today a turtle came to greet me "good morning" outside my bedroom, what else can you ask for....

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012 via mobile

very nice and particular place. Lot of space in a calm and silent sort of park.
Employees are very kind and sympathetic and the boss as well.
Very suggestive the dining room, with lot of candles but, regarding the food, they should improve it.
Andrea Gasparrini, Italy, Bergamo.

• Stayed June 2012

Been to Auberge Tangaro? Share your experiences!