I stayed in the Riad Zahra, one of a group of 11 windsurfers, during the first week in May 2013. We arrived from the airport very late at night, tired and ready for sleep. We were greeted very courteously and shown to our rooms with no delay. I shared a twin room which was plenty large enough although, to be honest, was a bit short on space for two people's clothing etc. The decoration is delightful and photos on this site give a taste of the local style. The en-suite bathroom was clean and charming with Moorish appeal.
In the light of day, the interior of the hotel is beautiful with a grand entrance hall, foyer and staircase. There are huge palms and ferns reaching right up the second floor and paintings by a local artist all over the walls. Breakfast was served in two rooms at the rear of the hotel furnished in the local style with very relaxed and comfortable seating.
Breakfast was good although the same every day. Freshly squeezed orange juice, bread, cheese triangle, butter, jam, honey, fresh fruit, yoghurt, pancakes, cake, tea and coffee. There was plenty.
The hotel has a restaurant, although it would be easy to miss it. It is tucked away up on the top floor of the hotel but it is SO worth a visit. Walking into the restaurant you are immediately hit by the stunning view from the panoramic window along the length of the room overlooking the huge bay of Essaouira. The food is very good, there being a mix of fish and meat meals and a selection of sort of Moroccan/Spanish tapas. Service was vary good although our large group caused some minor confusion with the orders. Recommended!
There is free WiFi pretty much throughout the hotel. Whether or not it works in your room seems to be pretty much the luck of the draw although the effectiveness of your phone's/computer's WiFi is probably the overriding factor. Reception is great seated in a comfy chair in the airy lobby.
The management and staff could not have been more pleasant or helpful and were completely unfazed by having a group of 11 windsurfers invading the place for a week.
The hotel is located about a 15 to 20 minute walk along the seafront from the medina although taxis (mostly ancient Mercedes with 'character') are a very cheap option for heading into town. There, you will find everything you might seek in a Moroccan town including souk, restaurants and bars.
If I visit this part of Morocco again, I would definitely seek out the Riad Zahra. I recommend it very highly.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Near the Essaouira Medina and just 2 minutes walk to the beach, this 23 room family Riad with pool and 2 restaurants is a haven of peace. It's an ideal starting point for numerous water activities and excursions by 4x4, horse or camel.Too windy for the beach ? Just rest and relax on the terrace with its great sea view or by the pool.Satellite TV and Free WIFI accessParking ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Splendia, Expedia, Tingo, Priceline, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com, HostelBookers, TripOnline SA, Venere and Otel so you can book your Riad Zahra Mogador reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riad Zahra Mogador Essaouira
- Riad Zahra Mogador Hotel Essaouira