“The best stay in Morocco I've ever had” 5 of 5 stars

Dar El Qdima
4 rue Malek Ben Rahal, Avenue de l_Istiqlal | Medina, Essaouira, Morocco   |
Ranked #46 of 78 hotels in Essaouira
Lawrence, Kansas
“The best stay in Morocco I've ever had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I've traveled quite a bit around Morocco, and stayed once before in a decent Dar in Essaouira. I found this place through a friend, so I might not have the usual standard of service, but this was absolutely the best stay I've ever had in Morocco. The staff were so kind and friendly, and helpful in every way. The quality of the room was just as good as any of the more pricey hotels I've stayed in while traveling in Morocco, and the atmosphere was so much more homey. We spent our evenings with other residents and staff in the salon by the fire, had breakfast in our room, and enjoyed the terrace next door. The manager and his staff helped us find restaurants, accompanied us to various stores, and were always accommodating of our requests (we asked for more melwi with breakfast - it was delicious), even played chess with us. Though it is a small operation that might make it difficult during busy times, establishing a relationship with the staff, being courteous and patient will definitely pay off in outstanding service.

Room Tip: Room 5 was very secluded and there weren't many stairs, which would make it a good stay for some...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

23 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
new york
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights with an Intrepid group- woke after the first night here covered in what appears to be bed bug bites. Staff was notified, and nothing done- I was told no other rooms available due to the current music festival, and no other options considered. Fortunately, there was a spare bed in another room with someone else in my group. I informed staff that I wanted funds to wash all the clothing in my backpack, which they refused. Do not stay here!

Room Tip: avoid room 10 at all costs- has bed bugs and faces a noisy street
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

It seems that the staff has taken the feedback in because my stay was seamless. The staff couldn't have been any nicer and helpful and we thought the place was lovely.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

My usual Riad was full due to the festival (the excellent Maison du Sud) so we stayed in the next one down the list in the Rough Guide. A BIG mistake and let down. There were two of us, and I had to beg for a towel at 6pm, and was only given one despite being promised that another would be on the way. When I came down for breakfast at 10am on the Sunday, I was told that it had finished at 10am (I wasn't told this early finishing time at check-in) and then this mysterious 50dh tax appeared when we checked out, which I think had more to do with the kitchen hand not having the right change for my 200dh note (I have never paid such a tax after travelling in Morocco many times). The shower plumbing was so bad that you ended up bathing in the shower, lights didn't work and I warn anybody from staying here; it's really bad value for money at 450dh per night and they are anti-service minded.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel like the plague.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010

We stayed here for two nights. No frills accommodation. Everything is very very damp. The bed sheets seemed wet to the touch and when we left all of our clothes were damp. No air con and minimal air circulation. Our room had a small window high up near the ceiling.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2008

we had a room on the roof which was very pleasantly situated. But very basic and smelling of damp. The main problem was the scam perpetuated by the reception at the hotel. When we enquired by calling at the hotel what the price for this room would be, we were told 350 per night per person. When, three days later, we came to pay, the reception person insisted it was 450 dirhams and when we questioned this, threatened to call the police to sort it out. We were rushing to catch a bus so felt we had to make the payment she demanded. However, both my partner and myself clearly heard her say 350 dirhams per night and I paid a deposit on that basis. So beware of this unpleasant scam!!

• Liked — The roof terrace
  • Disliked — The receptionist
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Dar El Qdima? Share your experiences!