“Elegantly rustic” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 77 Hotels in Essaouira
Dublin, Ireland
“Elegantly rustic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay in Villa Maroc and would return in a heartbeat.

A few scenarios will be indelibly marked in my memory ... the warm, smiling welcome received from Said as I walked through the doors at 11pm after a long journey, followed by supper served in my room (despite the late hour) ... breakfast on the roof terrace awash with glorious sunshine, with views of the ramparts, the extensive beach and the sparkling sea ... a cookery class with the gorgeous, engaging and hilarious Hayatt (apologies, not sure of the correct spelling) after a shopping trip round the markets for the ingredients ...a trip to Les Jardins de Villa Maroc, a breathtakingly beautiful 'sister' guesthouse a few kilometres away (I'm desperate to stay here at some stage!) ... vases of fresh roses every day throughout the riad ... the beyond beautiful ambience created for dinner in the evening, with the intimate dining salons illuminated by candles and the animated glow from open fires, gentle Moroccan music playing quietly in the background (I thought I'd died and gone to heaven!) ... I hope you get the picture.

The riad is indeed labyrinthine - a feature I found charming (can't stand generic-style featureless hotels, to be honest). I stayed in a 'superior room' which was huge, with a sofa and table area. The bed was fabulous and so comfortable, and the toilet was in a separate little room (within the room), which is a great idea (typically french in concept I think). The staff were courteous and helpful ... but I have to mention with special fondness and gratitude Hayatt, Leila, Said and the wonderful Ayaachi.

Further points: Food was terrific (dinners delicious!), I really liked the wine I was served (I ordered by the glass), you can order a beer whenever you fancy one. I liked the fact that at breakfast they included French-style baguette bread (I'm not overly fond of Moroccan bread).

Worth noting - my trip was at the end of April and although the weather was fantastic, it does get cold at night. Do the needful for that time of year and pack a nice warm pair of pyjamas and a warm cardigan for evening strolls round the town.

Also important - if you are booking an airport transfer, stress that you would like a driver who isn't tired of living!!! The driver who transported me from Agadir airport to the riad (a 2.5 hour journey) drove like Schumacher on crack!! Not for the faint-hearted - especially given the winding mountainous roads involved.

I ordered a car at the end of my stay to take me from Essaouira to Taroudant (approx. 4 hours by car) and the staff made sure, on hearing my previous experience, that I got a really great driver (Hossein), who drove steadily and also acted as an impromptu tour guide, pointing out places of interest along the way and anecdotally informing me about local culture and events.

Should you choose this riad on your trip, I hope you enjoy it as much as I can honestly say that I did.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
VillaMaroc, Propriétaire at Villa Maroc, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
We see that you really enjoyed your stay at Villa Maroc. We are here to make your stay as comfortable as possible and appreciate that you where happy in our house. Thank you so much for your lovely report. We hope to see you soon again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

We stayed in this hotel almost every year since more than 10 years and each time has been a special moment. We specially appreciate the breakfast on the roof terrace, and not to forget every evening the beautiful Maroccan dinner in a very romantic atmosphere. We have always been warmly welcomed.

VillaMaroc, Propriétaire at Villa Maroc, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Thank you so much for your fidelity. We hope to see you soon again at Villa Maroc.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

We had requested that the Villa book us a taxi to pick us up on arrival but when we got there in the pouring rain there was no one to meet us.
The room was terrible. It was damp and we were right next to an adjoining room which meant that there was no privacy at all.
We decided to leave the next day to find somewhere else to stay and at first the front of house staff attempted to charge us for the subsequent nights that we'd booked until the manager thankfully stepped in.

VillaMaroc, Owner at Villa Maroc, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
We are sorry about all these disagreements and hope that you give us a chance to show that we can do better.
Marrakech, Morocco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

My husband and I, plus our two dogs, spent one month at Villa Maroc. We rented the Suite which is equipped with a small kitchen as well as a living room. Younes, the owner, was extremely kind, accommodating and helpful with every request we had. Every single employee that we came in contact with was warm, kind and genuine.
The design and furnishings are very simple and perfectly in keeping with the feel of the property. Each night candles are light throughout the property and the place takes on a magical feeling.
The suite is set off of the main hotel terrace and we truly felt as if we had our own house during the month that we stayed.
I have recommended this property many times to friends and am hoping to go back this weekend just for a quick getaway!
You cannot go wrong with this lovely treasure!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Strasbourg, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Very nice riad with beautiful view on Essaouira's harbor and beach. Breakfast service was nice and location in the medina perfect. The raw building nicely decorated with typical accessories makes you feel somewhere else. You spend there a restful and peaceful stay in Mogador city.

Room Tip: Room 5 is like a peaceful dungeon with very nice view, you feel being in heaven
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

VillaMaroc, Owner at Villa Maroc, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you for recommending Villa Maroc to others travelers.
Amstelveen, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Villa Maroc surprised us ! It's charm, beautifully decorated in super Maroccan traditional and modern style and friendly people. We had a room at the top floor with seaside view. Each morning breakfast on the terrace and looking at the sea. Beautiful Maroccon dinners.
A super experience in Essaouira !

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
VillaMaroc, Owner at Villa Maroc, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you for your lovely report. We hope to see you soon again at Villa Maroc.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We had planned to spend three days at Villa Maroc but doubled our time there as it was so perfect. The place radiates calm and is quite beautiful . The food is delicious, the staff attentive and warm without being over friendly. We have recommended it to all our friends and I really hope that they follow our guidance because I know of no other place where they could have such a wonderful holiday.

VillaMaroc, Owner at Villa Maroc, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
We are looking forward to welcoming your friends at Villa Maroc. Thank you.

Been to Villa Maroc? Share your experiences!