“Good pasta, great service.” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #21 of 192 restaurants in Essaouira
Cuisines: Italian, Moroccan
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Description: Italian and Moroccan Kitchen, great choice of pasta, pizza and grill, meat and fresh fish.
Essaouira
“Good pasta, great service.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Chak is a neighbourhood restaurant in Ghazoua, 8 km out of the city centre in Essaouira. I lived in this neighborhood for three weeks, and ate lunch there several times. The interior of the restaurant is, as another reviewer mentioned, rather could, but at lunch you can usually sit out in the front of the restaurant, and it is quite nice when the weather is warm enough (which really is most of the year).

The food is simple, hearty and reasonably priced. Everything (or so it seams) is imported from Italy, so I would recommend going by the daily specials, which includes a salad, a pasta dish, a meat dish or a tagine. The caprese comes with a lovely, fresh mozzarella. The pasta is fresh and al dente, and not overcooked like you'll find many other places in Morocco. The pasta dishes at Chak are usually served with a bit to much pasta sauce, for my taste, but I guess most people like this.

I see many of the other reviewers have raved about the pizzas. These are baked the roman way: thin and very crispy. Some may love this, but when it comes to pizza my heart is anchored in napoli, wich is softer, more doughier. I guess this is a matter of taste, rather than quality. What I think is a shame is the use of tinned mushrooms. I understand that fresh mushroomes are impossible to get in Morocco, but the tinned ones are awful, and I believe it would be better to drop mushrooms all together.

Chak himself is a merry man, and his wife is very sweet. If you live nearby or are on your way past this place, do by all means eat here.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

95% Recommend
  • Polish first
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Great service, place is ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

The owner really looks after you and did a lot for us. The food was ok and the place is quite cold and uninviting. It was winter and we were the only ones there. If you are passing then drop in by all means.

Göteborg, Västra Götaland, Sweden
“The Best Pizza I'd ever had?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Last night I took a walk down the road with my daughter-in-law and a friend to check out an Italian restaurant a friend told me about. We were greeted by Chak, the owner who asked which languages we spoke. I said Swahili and he started talking Portuguese. What a character! After finally ordering 3-pizzas, he began telling us his life story in several languages and continued during our dinner. It was better than TV, although I hope I don't have to see a rerun next time I go there, which I fully intend to do because the food was GREAT!

Don't get me wrong about Chak, he's a really interesting and well meaning man who loves to windsurf, internet surf, and travel when he's not in his restaurant. So, if you're near Essaouira and don't mind driving 8-kilometers south to Raswa, you absolutely have to eat at the Chak Cafe if you appreciate good food!

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Essaouira, Morocco
“Great pizza”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Very good pizzas, authentic. Great service and very kind owner.Worth the trip from Essaouira. Highly recommended.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
marrkech
“trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

best place in essaouira i have pizza teast very good and friendly staf and the fruit salad was the best excellent

• Visited November 2012