“Sea view riad with friendly staff ” 4 of 5 stars

Dar Al Bahar
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 rue de Touahen, Essaouira 44000, Morocco   |
Ranked #39 of 78 hotels in Essaouira
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Sea view riad with friendly staff ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

I really liked the location and sea views.

The staff were very friendly. Especially Suad who always had a huge welcoming smile and a contagious laugh. She always took an interest in how our day went. Najaht was lovely and welcoming too.

We were two women traveling alone so being in a riad with all women made us feel like it was truly a girly break!

The staff worked tirelessly and were incredibly helpful and honest. For example, I checked out and left my luggage with reception and asked if I could leave my wireless music device to charge with them. At night we returned to pick up the suitcases and I forgot all about my device and Suad quickly reminded me to take it..! I also left my hot water bottle in the bed and they gave me that too. Incredible honesty!

Suad also arranged for me to have a spa and tried to get me a cheaper price than the brochures offered.

I would advise travellers to study the map and get an idea of how to get to and fro from the riad. We did this a few times. And by day two we were at home! Lol

On the second morning at breakfast I requested eggs and they were delicious served with salt n moroccon spices. We also bought baguettes and asked Suad to slice and grill them which she did happily.

Brilliant riad with friendly staff.
Najaht even spoke a little English too.

I would advised travelers not to be overwhelmed by the dark alleys. We were two women and it was safe.

Also, Hearing the comforting sounds of the waves from our room was magical.

Overall Small but clean rooms with stunning panoramic views, & riad beautifully decorated with art and cute furniture, & Lovely throws on the bed.

It's easy to get your bearings as we were able to get back to our riad without asking for help

Brilliant hot showers too .

I would stay here again just to hear Suads laugh!

The negatives:

Wifi only in reception area. Not in rooms or on terrace and only till 11pm.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

137 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Polish first
Cairo, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

the location just by the sea, above the old walls of Essouira, the room was basic, clean & nice, to be able to sleep and hear the ocean waves! ouch it was a bless, we stayed only one night, and we really wished to stay more.

Outstanding view from the rooftop, take a jacket, bottle of wine and go up there for unforgettable night :)

The Only Negative Thing that they doesn't accept any Credit Cards, have to pay in cash

Room Tip: Ask for rooms by 2nd floor & 3rd
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Seal Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

The room I had was small, and a little expensive in keeping with my "spend less than a Motel 6" attitude. Nice place for couples, don't get me wrong, and the breakfast was nice! If you have your babe with you, fine, if not, go to the Hotel Al Fath right by the square and on the sea.

Room Tip: Again, it was a little pricey for a solo, cheap traveler. Go to Hotel Al Fath at the square. Great...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Roma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Nice location, our room was with a wonderful view on the atlantic ocean and the beautiful terrace was just upstairs.
We had a good breakfast staring at the sea.
Nice and confortable room but a little bit small.

Room Tip: The upper floor room has the best view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We spent 5 nights here in April. We chose this riad due to the amazing views and proximity to the sea. We had also realised from other reviews / pictures / price, that is wasn't necessarily a luxury riad. We slept in the Alba suite and it is worth the money for the sea view. The rooms are fine, bed comfortable, clean, good bathroom, and a sufficient size unless you have lots of luggage. The roof terrace is amazing, and the breakfast is good.
Overall if you want to be near the sea and hear the waves crashing while you sleep then this is the place, it is a very comfortable riad with friendly staff.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Barcelona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

After a long gap, we really had a wonderful time together. And, this was all because of the calm location and lovely staff of Dar Al Bahar hotel. We stayed here for three days and had no issues regarding anything. Rooms are nicely decorated and well-appointed. Terrace is the place where breakfast is served. Amazing views of sea can be captured from here. Staff is very friendly and helped us a lot. I will definitely recommend this name to all my friends.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Saint Thomas, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We had some trouble in making our reservation for this room, which eventually involved 2 telephone calls, several emails and a disappointment that seemed to me to be unnecessary, however, the fellow at the property disagreed. We were especially keen on the view, though, so booked anyway, in the Alba suite. The room was fine and well furnished, although the bed was pretty hard. The kitchen was adequately equipped, and there was a wonderful supply of hot water. Despite fiddling and reading the hand written instructions we couldn't get the television to work, but that's likely down to us, and if you're there, you're not likely to be after the television, anyway. I'd rate the room as 'average' in the grand scheme of things, but the view makes up for a lot of mediocrity. I've attached an image taken from the bedroom window, no fancy tricks with the camera, this is just a vanilla shot. It's that close to the sea, probably the closest in town. There are stairs down to the seaside from what looks like the property (as seen from the battlement, adjacent) but was advised that the stairs are closed. I did see others walking out there, though. Others in the area advised that there is access, but I had no luck finding it. Your mileage may vary. The rooftop terrace was locked at the time of our visit, which was a shame. The housekeeper was friendly and welcoming, although others we encountered were a rather chilly. Breakfast was fine. The town is very relaxing, particularly after a few days in Marrakech - you can choose your dinner fresh from the sea and just unwind. Long trip from the edge of the medina to the place, would advise hiring someone with a cart (20 mad) if you have more than one piece to carry.

Room Tip: We had the Alba suite, and I'd cheerfully advise anyone considering the property to ante up for...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Dar Al Bahar? Share your experiences!