“Best experience for photographers wanting to explore Morocco” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #12 of 67 Activities in Essaouira
More attraction details
Owner description: Day Tours from Essaouira every Wednesday from 10am until 6pm. Itinerary includes a morning visit to Souk Idagourd followed by lunch and a river walk at SidiM'Bark.
Tallinn, Estonia
“Best experience for photographers wanting to explore Morocco”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

I undertook the 10 day Atlas Tour in May and consider myself an intermediate DSLR user. It was definitely one of the best photographic tours I have ever been on and have many incredible memories as a result. Morocco is a stunning country as it is, but Darren and Naima's itinerary is unique, well thought-out, and jam-packed full of an impressive range of opportunities for all interests. It was particularly great to find that, not only had meetings been arranged with locals, but there was flexibility to accommodate the unexpected and make the most of photographic opportunities as they arose, such as stopping for a portrait of a shepherd we encountered crossing the Atlas. Meeting the people and families was one of the highlights and Darren was always on hand to offer tips and advice, as well as ensure stops were timed to make the best use of the light. As a solo female traveller, I felt completely comfortable in their company and Moroccan hospitality is warm and generous. Unquestionably, I saw a Morocco that the vast tour groups driving down to the dunes and back to Marrakech in the space of 48hrs miss. I will definitely be back for an Essaouria visit soon!

Visited May 2014

Wiesbaden, Germany
23 attraction reviews
“The most enjoyable learning vacation experience possible”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

If you are interested in photography, Moroccan cooking, culture and visually stunning sites this is a "learning vacation' like no others. We spent a stunning week with 7 wonderful "classmates", Darren, his wife Naima, her sister and the fascinating people of Essaouira, Morocco. Darren was a patient, humorous and experienced teacher, not only in photography (excellent) but in the culture and history of the area. Naima showed us how to shop for spices and fresh ingredients and then proceeded to show us how to turn them into mouth watering meals. Darren expanded and improved my wife's love of photography and educating me as a stumbling novice. We both came away wishing the trip was longer and counting the days until we could come again. A most do vacation sometime in your life!!

Visited March 2014
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
“The High Atlas Mountains and more”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

I have recently returned from a photographic tour of the High Atlas Mountains with Darren and his wife Niama. This was the third tour I have been on with Darren and it was really very good. Photographically there were loads of great oppotunities whether you were intereseted in people, landscapes or architecture: many of these were quite special and down to Darren's intimate knowledge of the area and access to the inhabitants.

The tour was very relaxed, travelling in the the 4x4 was very comfortable both Darren and his wife are great company. All the hotels we stayed in were different in character but all great places to stay and some of them offering fantastic food.

If you want a great photographic experience with access to some unique people and places then Darren is the man to take you there. I am just hoping that he will come up with something new for me to try next year.

You can check out my images at:

Brian Law

Visited February 2014
Emsworth, United Kingdom
“A great photography holiday.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

I have just returned from a fantastic week in Essaouria. There were 7 in our group including a Canadian and a couple from the States with a great mix in ages and photographic experience.

Tutorials took place in the morning, going right back to basics which was really useful. I didn't realise there were so many functions on my camera which I had never used. We reviewed everyone's images in the evening which was a good time to share our experiences and provide positive critique and encouragement.

Each evening Darren took us to a different restaurant so we had the opportunity to taste some traditional Moroccan cuisine. The Riad was in the heart of the Medina so just by stepping out of the front door was a photographers dream.

Darren was a very patient tutor offering advice, checking images and at times suggesting good shots to take. His organisation and time keeping was exemplary.

We had a day in the countryside and visited a traditional country souk and some stunning coastline, both giving great photo opportunities.
Essaouria is a really good place to be based, busy medina, a traditional fishing port and wind swept beaches.

Overall this was a great holiday, I learnt a huge amount from Darren to enhance my photo skills and met some brilliant people. It was great value for money and I would highly recommend it to anyone with an interest in reportage, abstract and travel photography.

Visited March 2014
Hereford, United Kingdom
“Images in the sun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

I have been on two trips now with Darren Lewey, who runs Immages in the Sun. The first one was a photorgaphic course for a week in Essaouira. This was a mixture of tuition, trips to various locations and feedback. The was all tied in with an excellent holiday in Essaouira which is a lovely Medina including a harbour full of blue fishing boats. Professional tuition and support from Darren and a brilliant holiday as well!

I followed this up the next year with Darren's ten day tour of the High Atlas. This time we were also accompanied by Darren's lovely wife Naima (who by the way also offers courses on Moroccan cookery). We were conveyed in Darren's 4x4 and stopped at hotels in seven different locations varying from the Atlas Mountains to the deserts including one night in Berber tent in the desert (optional!) We went to stunning locations, met some lovely locals and, although this is not a course as such, still received first rate support from Darren on the photographic side.

I can not speak too highly of these two trips, or of Darren and Naima. I will be back!

Visited February 2014