Save Saved
You added Le Medina Essaouira Hotel Thalassa sea & spa - MGallery Collection to your Saves list
Le Medina Essaouira Hotel Thalassa sea & spa - MGallery Collection
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenue Mohamed V, Essaouira 44000, Morocco   |
Ranked #27 of 78 hotels in Essaouira
“Nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

We stayed for five nights, found the staff helpful, nice room overlooking the swimming pool, comfortable bed, quiet. The only problems we found , the safe sometimes difficult to set. Showe control not always easy, and problems with the toilet which was very quickly sorted. Enjoyed the breakfast, nice fresh fruit, and nice French bread and pastries. Would recommend this hotel.

Stayed November 2012
RACHID B, Directeur général at Le Medina Essaouira Hotel Thalassa sea & spa - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Dear Lynette,

First I would like to thank you for choosing Le Medina Essaouira Thalassa sea & spa MGallery Collection.

Thank you very much for your message. I appreciate that you take time to give us your positive feed back!

I will not hesitate to share your comments with my whole team.

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you in the very near future!

683 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Sao Paulo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This is the best hotel we have stayed in Morocco. Much better than the Sofitels we have tried in Fes and Marrakech. The location is perfect, just a few blocks from the Medina, which is very nice: no vendors trying to push you anything. The best prices in Morocco for any handicraft.
Rooms have good size, the bathroom is large enough, yet they have the weird separated toilet. My balcony faced the pool, which is very pleasant. Staff at the front desk is unbelievably helpful, so is the breakfast one. Food is very good. Internet is free of charge all over the hotel.
Only thing I didn't like is that they don't let you in the heated pool during the day. It's for spa use only. It was cold and we couldn't use the pool outside.
It was a great stay. If I come back to Essaouira one day, would stay here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Paulista,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at the Medina Essaouira Hôtel Thalassa sea & spa.

I am happy that you enjoyed your stay in the hotel, I will transfer your compliments to my staff.

I noted your comment about pool, I will take the necessary actions, all my sincere apologies for this experience.

Thank you for your message, I hope to welcome you home again.

Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We have stayed here for 2 weeks in June this year. First we had the standard room, after 2 days there was a problem in the bathroom. They upgraded us a superior room, which was a great room to stay. Service is very good, aspecially Loubna Boubrik the Front Office Manager. The pool is very nice, although you have be there early in the morning to catch a sunbed.
Along the beach there are some very good restaurants for lunch/dinner for cheap prices.
It's about a 10-15 min walk to the Medina.

Room Tip: It's better to stay on the lefthand side of the Hotel, the frontrooms catching a lot wind from t...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
RACHID B, Directeur général at Le Medina Essaouira Hotel Thalassa sea & spa - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Peter,

I very much appreciate your positive feedback regarding your stay at Le Medina Essaouira Hotel Thalassa sea & spa.

Thank you so much for your nice words and complement. I will not hesitate to share your comments with my whole team, especially Loubna Boubrik the Front Office Manager.

I hope I will have the pleasure of welcoming you in the very near future!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We (family of 4) stayed in one of the exceutive suites at Le Medina. The room was very nice, clean and spacious with a good balcony overlooking the pool. We found the service at the hotel to be world class with highly trained and courteous staff. The outdoor pool was very nice and so was the hammam.
The only letdown was the indoor "pool" which is just an oversized bath tub which gets extremely overcrowded after 7pm (which then becomes free to use)! Yuk! I am not sure why this rule is in place - managemnt would do well to lift this restriction.
Essaioura itself is nice albeit a bit small, so 3 days would have been more than enough (we stayed 5).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
RACHID B, Directeur général at Le Medina Essaouira Hotel Thalassa sea & spa - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear LazyRico,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at the Medina Essaouira Hotel Thalassa sea & spa.

Thank you for taking time to share your experience on tripadvisor.

I would be very pleased to see you again on a next visit at Essaouira.

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I believe this was a Sofitel before Accor rebranded it as part of its MGallery Collection. Quite what they have done apart from change the notepaper is not clear. This hotel is extremely tired and, in parts, rather grubby. The lobby area has a strange, and I suspect unintentional 70s feel. However, the location is perfect, being right opposite the beach yet within walking distance of the medina. And the food isn't bad. The pool is OK but surrounded with plastic decking that is now warping dangerously. Wifi worked only in the lobby, and the 25 euro a day wired internet in the rooms didn't work at all. Free wifi throughout a hotel is inexpensive to provide and to be expected in a hotel of this level. This is just a very poorly managed hotel, with no sign of senior duty managers at any time, a chaotic front desk and levels of service that suggested poor organisation and lack of training.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear satayman,

I have taken note of your comments regarding all the issues you have mentioned and would like to express my sincerest apologies.

I hope that i will have the pleasure of welcoming you again very soon.

uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed here for four nights and didn't want to leave! The first thing to say is that the location in Essaouira is ideal - just a short, easy walk from the medina, and very close to the Supratours coach terminal as well, so it's easy to wheel your own luggage to the hotel. You don't need a taxi or a barrow boy. The hotel faces the beach and has its own small private beach area, as well as a beach restaurant. I don't think you could have a better location, and we didn't need to use a single taxi during our stay.

The welcome we received on arrival was the best I have ever had at any hotel. Our bags were politely whisked away and brought to our room (no tip was requested though I did give one.) The receptionist was charming and welcoming, speaking good English even though it is a third language in Morocco. We were invited to sit down and fill in the guest cards (a legal requirement) at which point warm towels were proferred on a silver tray for us to wipe our fevered brows, and a complimentary pot of mint tea was set down before us! We were, frankly, almost overwhelmed by the warmth of the welcome, and felt we were being treated like kings! As I'm an Accor cardholder, we also got a voucher for two free cocktails in the bar-lounge, quite a treat as they were not cheap to say the least.

Our room was beautifully furnished, with much local thuya wood in evidence - the headboard and toiletry containers, for example. Very tasteful and good quality furnishings and fittings, though I did notice one or two things were beginning to show their age a bit, like the sink plug which stopped working during our stay. Nonetheless, everything was very good quality and looked fantastic. Very much to my personal taste, with a balcony looking down over the pool area. As others have said, the bed and bedding was hugely comfortable too, and we had a turndown service at night complete with chocolates as well! There was a separate toilet which always helps in the mornings if one of you is a shower-hogger. Finally, there were very good quality free toiletries with argan oil, and we had bathrobes and slippers provided free also. These came in very handy when we used the hotel hammam, which is available for guests' use free of charge.

There are only some minor negatives - the main one being that everything in the hotel costs a ridiculous price, including the breakfast which was a ludicrous 180dh each. Easily solved by skipping it and having a croissant and coffee for 20dh each in the medina! The mini bar costs were also high but you kind of expect that. We did get a free bottle of water every other day. The prices in the hotel restaurant and beach chalet were stratospheric, but no-one is pointing a gun at your head and forcing you to eat there, after all. Mint tea is available for 30dh each in the bar which is reasonable, but alcohol is extremely expensive. As we got the room for a good price, I realised that they would try and make some money in other ways, but you do at least have the choice of whether to pay it.

There aren't really quite enough sunloungers available, although we always found somewhere in the end. There is a solarium area at the top of the hotel which had some hammocks - a very pleasant way to while away an hour or two. The private beach is also small and filled up quickly.

Essaouira is a place to chill, and this hotel was all quiet by 10pm. It is a wonderfully relaxing place to stay and you really feel the benefits of getting away from it all, in some luxury. The common areas are superb, with beautiful Moroccan design and gorgeous smells (fleur d'orangers or orange blossom is a favourite.) It is a pleasure to walk around and just take in the beauty of the surroundings.

The photos on the hotel website show this hotel off very well and give you a good idea of the style. If you like the pictures, you'll love this hotel. I thought it was actually even more attractive and relaxing than the pictures suggested! A week here would calm down the most stressed-out person. I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear sfuher,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comment.

Happy that you enjoy your stay, all the staff hope to welcome you soon in this Hotel!!

Thank you for your visit, I wish to see you again.

Best Regards
London UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We spent three nights at this lovely hotel last week - we are a middle-aged couple travelling with our teenage son. From the moment we arrived we received nothing but the most excellent service. All of the staff are completely charming and seem to want nothing more than to make their guests feel fantastic!

Our rooms were wonderful (we had 107 and 109, overlooking the pool but far enough away from the restaurants to be completely peaceful) - they were spacious, extremely clean and the beds were very comfortable, with particularly comfy pillows.

The private beach area was lovely, although we were rather shocked at the behaviour of one guest who felt it was acceptable to sunbathe topless - and you could see that the hotel staff were uncomfortable with this as it is very public.

We had breakfast every day, which we were given a really good rate for, and lunch on two days, served by the pool. We also used the bar, which was also very pleasant.

The hotel is a five minute walk from the walls of the city, so we walked up to town each evening for a meal (we went to La Cle de Voute, D'Orient et D'Ailleurs and a hideous hole in the wall that I don't even know the name of).

Thank you, Le Medina Essaouira Hotel, for a really relaxing break!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Sweetpeas,

Thank you a lot for your comment, i really appreciate it

I hope to receive you again in Le Medina Essaouira Hotel Thalassa sea & spa.

Sincerely

Been to Le Medina Essaouira Hotel Thalassa sea & spa - MGallery Collection? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Le Medina Essaouira Hotel Thalassa sea & spa - MGallery Collection

Address: Avenue Mohamed V, Essaouira 44000, Morocco
Location: Morocco > Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region > Essaouira
Bar / Lounge Beach Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Restaurant Room Service Shuttle Bus service Spa Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
#5 Luxury Hotel in Essaouira
#7 Spa Hotel in Essaouira
#15 On the Beach Hotel in Essaouira
#18 Family Hotel in Essaouira
#20 Romantic Hotel in Essaouira
Hotel Class:5 star — Le Medina Essaouira Hotel Thalassa sea & spa - MGallery Collection 5*
Reminiscent of a sumptuous Moroccan riad, the facade of the Sofitel Thalassa Essaouira is painted the traditional red of Mogador. Set on the coast, close to the medina, this charming luxury hotel furnished with thuja and lemon wood cabinets, provides direct access to a luxury thalassotherapy centre. Enjoy an unforgettable leisure and fitness break. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, ACCOR, Orbitz, Tingo, TripOnline SA, BookingOdigeoWL, Hotels.com, Agoda, Venere and Jetsetter so you can book your Le Medina Essaouira Hotel Thalassa sea & spa - MGallery Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Le Medina Essaouira Hotel Thalassa Sea And Spa - Mgallery Collection
Accor Thalassa Essaouira
Sofitel Essaouira
Essaouira Sofitel

If you own or manage Le Medina Essaouira Hotel Thalassa sea & spa - MGallery Collection, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.