It's a shame that this Riad, which has great ocean views from its potentially lovely terrace, and nice features like fireplaces in the rooms, is suffering so much from maintenance issues. I suspect personnel problems are at the root of the problem. Here are some of the problems we noticed:
* Entry alley was smelly with piles of garbage nearby the doorway to the Riad
* Room smelled strongly of mildew
* Generally lack of cleanliness on counters, bedside furniture, bathroom
* Sink did not drain properly
* Door missing from under-sink cupboard
* Sheets dirty gray color, and too short by about 8" from the foot of the bed
Good points: That ocean view from the terrace! The manager who was on duty was very friendly and helpful.
The price we paid, which would have been reasonable had there been fewer problems, did not include breakfast.
Medina location was fine; not too close to the quarter that the guidebooks warn you to stay away from, and a reasonable walk from everything you would want to see in Essaouira.