“An outstanding hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 77 Hotels in Essaouira
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“An outstanding hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Spent a week at this brilliant hotel and it certainly lived up to its 5* status. Nothing was too much trouble for the lovely staff - towels changed twice a day, free mini bar topped up everyday, request for more hangers dealt with immediately. The spa treatments are beautiful and we took advantage of a buy one get one free massage deal - really great value. The food was superb in all 3 restaurants and yes maybe not cheap but certainly very tasty. Breakfast was perfect - kept us going all day! All in all a truly relaxing holiday!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Edoardo G, Directeur général at Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear Madame, Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on Tripadvisor.
It's always a pleasure to receive such a positive feedback!

We are very pleased to read that you truly enjoyed your stay with us, and that you were extremely satisfied with the service provided by our Ambassadors.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kindest regards,

Edoardo GIUNTOLI

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Gosport, Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We returned on the 18 July after a ten day bed and breakfast deal booked through Voyage Prive. From the moment we were collected from the airport in a very comfortable Jaguar XF driven by a smartly uniformed chauffeur to our return journey to the airport, this time in a large Mercedes, we were treated with the utmost respect, with absolutely nothing too much trouble for any of the superb staff. Particular praise must go to the Spa staff who carried out the most divine treatments with extreme professionalism, considering it was Ramadan and they were working whilst fasting. My husband played a couple of rounds of golf on a superb course, however, golfers should be very wary of the winds! The driving range is also superb and when you book a round, you get 50 free balls for the driving range. May be it was because it was Ramadan, the hotel was so quiet; apparently only about 20% occupied. We tended to spend our days lying by the freshwater pool (I called it the green pool!) as the small amount of children staying at the hotel with their parents used the infinity pool and it was very quiet; most days there were never more than 4 other people there. I will not repeat the comments made by other guests who gave this hotel an excellent review, only to agree with the majority. I was not expecting great service, having read a number of negative reviews about this but we experienced no problems whatsoever. Indeed, my husband injured his wrist whilst putting the back of a lounger down and was treated immediately with first aid and his wound was regularly dressed. I, too, had cause to be treated with first aid after I was attacked by the hotel cat! Beware if you are going shortly, as she has just had a kitten and I was just bending down to look (she lives under a large canopied bed by the breakfast area) when she came out and dug her claws into my wrist and then bit me, presumably just protecting her baby. I was walking across the grass to clean it when a member of staff saw me and immediately took charge! That was nearly a week ago now and I am healed with no apparent side effects! We ate in the hotel's French restaurant on the last evening - it is situated on the first floor opposite reception. We did not know it was there until one of the other guests told us! It was quite expensive but not much more than is charged in the Kasbah and was absolutely superb. Actually, I am glad we only found it on the last night or our bill would have been a lot more! We ate out in Essaouira about 4 or 5 times and the bus provided by the hotel was appreciated. As it was Ramadan, the 8pm run is suspended but taxis are easily available (don't pay more than 35dhms). Again, because it was Ramadan, it was difficult to find somewhere for an alcohol drink in the Medina but not impossible! We did ask to look at a Villa whilst we were at the hotel, and it was fantastic and if money were no object, we would seriously consider returning and staying in one. If you are looking for a very relaxing and quiet hotel, with great customer service (at least it was during Ramadan), this is the place for you.I can honestly say this was one of the very best holidays we have had over the last 20 odd years. Please contact me if you would like any other information, particular with regard to the Spa as I have all the treatments available with prices (fortunately ours were included in the price). Just book it, although you may wish to wait until an airline starts to fly direct from the UK to Essaouira airport which is only 10 minutes away, as opposed to Marrkech, which is a good 2 to 3 hours drive, depending on the time of day.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Edoardo G, Directeur général at Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Madame,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on Tripadvisor.
It's always a pleasure to receive such a positive feedback!

We are very pleased to read that you truly enjoyed your stay with us, and that you were satisfied with the service provided by our Ambassadors.

I look forward to welcoming you back to our property.

Kind regards,

Tunbridge Wells
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Beautiful hotel in wonderful gardens with great ocean views, fabulous facilities, spa and hamam to rival any other, pools both beautifully designed and maintained, staff very helpful, villas are pricey but very high quality and the beds are like clouds ......but the bar prices are extortionate and the food prices are not far behind. Considering where you are, you don't expect prices that outstrip Bermuda or London ...... what a shame.

Room Tip: All villas face the ocean and golf course. All are in a great location. But get a half board or fu...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa. I was extremely pleased to read that you fully enjoyed your stay with us, and look forward to welcoming you back in a not too distant future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We couldn't believe how quiet the hotel was for such a quality establishment, no need to book restaurant meals or search out the last remaining sunbeds as it was all available whenever needed. The staff are very focused on customer service and were exceedingly good. We were fortunate to have several spa packages included in our booking so we were able to sample the delightful baths, scrubs and body massages which I might not otherwise have experienced - I am now a convert. The bedroom was outstanding with a very large walk-in shower and a fully mosaic tiled open bath (or was it a small swimming pool) separating the bedroom and shower area, lovely balcony with accompanying large cushioned furniture.
The evening entertainment was provided by local singers and musicians and was of varying quality, you have to appreciate where the hotel is located so don't expect Las Vegas style shows.
My one recommendation/improvement for management to action immediately is to prevent the hordes of sparrows flying around the Kasbah buffet restaurant at breakfast time. This is extremely unhygienic particularly when they sit on the cereal bar helping themselves to food. Simply shutting the external door would resolve this. I this was resolved it would easily get a 5 star (excellent) rating.
Great place, would definitely return when next in need to total relaxation.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Edoardo G, Directeur général at Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Madame, Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on Tripadvisor. It's always a pleasure to receive such a positive feedback!

On behalf of all of us, I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Limoges, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Very spacious room with an outdoor terrace. Service people is as always outstanding.
the fish restaurant is great and the international breakfast fantastic. The international buffet was
not what we expected from this hotel, nothing was wrong but too identical day after day.
Pool is great with an outstanding service and the shuttle to come back fom the Medina was appreciated.
Excellent in general we recommanded the hotel to our friends

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Edoardo G, Directeur général at Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Madame, Sir,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review of our hotel on Tripadvisor.

I was glad to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa, and particularly appreciated the quality of the food in our Atlantique restaurant, the comfort of the room and the service provided by our Ambassadors.

I have taken note of your constructive feedback regarding the variety of food in our Kasbah restaurant, and thank you for bringing the matter to our attention.

Once again, thank you for recommending our property.
On behalf of all of us, I look forward to welcoming you back to Mogador in the near future.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 3 days(despite the best efforts of the hotel). I had booked a 3 night stay and on the afternoon after the second night I tried to change some money at the reception. At this point they told me I had overstayed. Worse still they told me I must leave immediately. I went to my room to confirm - they had disabled my key. On returning to get it enabled I was again told to leave immediately. Both these occurred in front of many other people. My sick wife was drinking tea on the terrace and left that(this was never refunded). I eventually managed to get an internet connection to my email and confirm their error, on returning yet again to the desk did they say they had finally bothered to check my paperwork and I was correct. I believe their comment was "You're not angry are you".

I should also add that the room air fan went into a very loud overdrive early one morning and did not shut down for 2 hours as I guess the maintenance man had a prior emergency to deal with.

On a more personal note the room design was not to my liking - the lack of real door on toilet means that if someone in the room uses it you sound disturbingly close.

Do yourself a favour and stay in a riad - much nicer, more convenient and cheaper.

Room Tip: stay in a riad.
Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Sir,

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor about your stay at our hotel.

I was extremely sadden to read that your stay with us was not a pleasant one, and would like to take this opportunity to sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused tou you.

I would like to reassure you that it is never our intention to disappoint our guests, and that corrective actions based on your feedback will be implemented immediately.

I hope you will give us a second chance to positively impress you. Should you decide to do so, please do not hesitate to contact me personally.

Once again, I would like to thank you for bringing to my attention this shortfall in our services and look forward to welcoming you back to Mogador.

Best regards,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

The welcoming was very good , The staff was very friendly and the hotel had a great charm about it. The room we stayed in was spacious and the bed was so comfortable, the bed linen was of high quality and the room was well equipped with complimentary coffee facilities in the room,we had free complimentary soft drinks and water stocked in the mini bar each day. The terrace was very spacious and had very comfortable sofa seats. The room had a open bath and shower so not for the shy body conscious type.The pool was very clean and the outside surrounding was very attractive. The shuttle Bus takes you to the medina free from the hotel and take around about 10 to 15 mins ride you can not walk to the medina and the last bus is at 8.20pm and then you would have to take a taxi which cost 50 dinhams should cost 30 to 35 dinhams good luck on that..The alcohol and food was expensive in the hotel can get so much cheaper in the medina plenty of places to eat and drink...The Torres Bar I would recommend to go in that is near the medina. Overall a great stay very relaxing....Fripps

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Edoardo G, Directeur général at Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review on Tripadvisor about your recent stay at the Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa.

I will share your comments with our team.

Edoardo Giuntoli

Been to Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!