“Even better than I'd hoped” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad 'Chez Dar Ma'

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Essaouira
Riad 'Chez Dar Ma'
234 Rue Chbanate | Medina, Essaouira 44000, Morocco   |
Ranked #5 of 148 Essaouira B&B and Inns
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Even better than I'd hoped”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

This was my favorite city and B&B during our Morocco trip in April. At the last minute I had a hunch we were going to love it so I changed our visit from one night to two and I'm so happy that I did. I would recommend staying even longer, as I enjoyed the slower pace after enjoying the larger Moroccan cities.
The riad was lovely. It was so clean and it was nice to keep our doors open to enjoy the fresh air. We loved the town of Essaouira, but it was also tempting to stay in and enjoy the terraces (along with the riad's hosts - the cats and tortoise). The location was great as it was an easy walk from the bus stop and was also easy to navigate the town.
Allison, Anne (her mother), Halima and Hassan were all so kind and helpful. Allison and her mother gave us great recommendations for restaurants and even some shopping. There is a unique little shop down the street that is owned by a very nice French woman that I recommend visiting.
I hope this review expresses what a wonderful experience we had!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

89 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Polish first
Oxford, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We spent quite a while planning a family Christmas properly away from home. Big, complicated family - eight of us in all. And I'm delighted we chose Chez Dar Ma. Nearly all of us run our own various businesses, so time away and relaxation is seriously precious. And we really got it here!

From the start, Allison looked after us. She sat us down with several pots of mint tea (perfect after the flight and trip from the airport) and told us all about Essaouira. We knew where the best places to eat were, what to see, when to see it, where the best quads were, what time the restaurants shut. If she gives up the day job there's a new career as a tour guide waiting.

Halima was fantastic. Like instant sunshine (and we got plenty of the real stuff too). Nothing ever seemed to be too much fuss, she cracked jokes (that we enjoyed hugely even with basic French), made sure everything was alright and cooked like an angel. There seemed to be a never-ending stream of coffee every morning. Vital.

Hassan was great too. He was around before we'd even surfaced most mornings, sorting out world-class fruit salads, fresh orange juice and pancakes. And he was always smiling too. Hardly surprising in such a beautiful place.

The riad is big enough to lose eight people across various floors, rooms, snugs and terraces. For the internet junkies there was wi-fi. For the history junkies there were enough museums, buildings and architecture to keep them happy for days. Shopping? Plenty. Foodie? Ask Halima to sort out one of her world-class tagines. Just lazing about in the sun reading? Which terrace do you fancy?

It's an unreserved "recommended" from us.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Twickenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We spent Christmas at Chez Dar Ma after deciding to escape for a bit of winter sun. It seemed perfect for our party of 8, and we were absolutely delighted. Allison was a mine of information about the town - a walking guidebook in fact. She gave us tips on everything from restaurants to where to find the best quad bikes. Ever since we've got back we've been trying to work out how we can headhunt Halima to come to the UK - she's wonderful and looked after us so well. If you don't try the tagines and couscous you're missing out. And what a great sense of humour too. Hassan was brilliant as well, turning out every morning to sort out amazing breakfasts of fruit salads, pancakes, orange juice and still-warm fresh bread. All we had to do was sit in the sun on the terrace and enjoy it all - and the wonderful views across the Medina.

It's not a question of "if" we'll be back, more "when". And soon!

Room Tip: They're all good!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Hastings, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Just inside the little Bab Marrakech this was a fantastic place to stay We had, unfortunately, only allowed for one night in Essaouria, but the location meant that everything was on our cute little doorstep. Thanks to Alli and Hassan. Hope to see you again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

It was odd finding a plane ticket from Morocco back to Amsterdam in my bag since during my stay at Riad Dar Ma I had come to believe that this was in fact my new home. I had a front door key and came and went as I pleased, the bed was just as comfy as a bed should be and I loved the colours of the house. I loved the clean white cottons, colourful tiles, warm bright rugs and earthy polished tiles underfoot. There were warm terracotta walls, natural woods and a delightful sunny roof terrace for breakfast. As I ate I would be entertained by the cunning antics of the cat and the gentle persistence of the stowaway tortoise (ask Allison to tell you the bra story) who chomped the offerings from my fruit salad at her prehistoric pace.
It was wonderful to return from the busy, dusty medina streets to a pool of green calm, where Halima had rearranged my belongings into an artful still-life. In short, I felt so at home and welcome that I was momentarily puzzled when a man, proclaiming to be a taxi-driver I had booked, arrived to take me to the airport.
I'll be back soon, insh'allah.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Pescara, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Me and my best friend spent four days in Essaouira in this lovely B&B.The place where it's situated is easy to find and most of all is near to everything you need!The Riad is well furnished and the breakfast is various and very good!The owner and the people who work there are so nice and helpfull.I hope to come back soon.Absolutely recommended!Annalisa from Italy

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

As I cannot find anything else to add I can only recommend chez Dar ma to whoever wants a great place to stay in the medina. Thank you again and we hope to come and visit again in the future, inch'allah!

• Stayed September 2012

Been to Riad 'Chez Dar Ma'? Share your experiences!