“Owners have changed...avoid unless you speak French!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Les Mille et Une Nuits

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Essaouira
Les Mille et Une Nuits
You added Les Mille et Une Nuits to your Saves list
km15 | KM 15 route d'Agadir Douar Fouloust, Essaouira 44000, Morocco   |
Ranked #58 of 76 Hotels in Essaouira
Madrid, Spain
“Owners have changed...avoid unless you speak French!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

I had reserved this hotel based on the trip advisor recommendation. I sent an email ~6 weeks before my trip and received a quick response from Pauline. I went ahead and booked two connected rooms since my wife and 2 young kids were travelling with me. I received a confirmation and wired a 50% deposit for the rooms. I showed up at the riad after a 3 hour drive looking for a nice welcome and relaxation. We arrived at the riad and there was no welcome. We pulled in and we meet by what I thought were Simon and Pauline but the people we met only spoke French so there was a language barrier. No problem, I realize and am in Morocco and have traveled to 30+ countries so I do not expect everyone to speak english. As soon as we get in the door they kept speaking French to me and I had no idea what they were saying. After a few minutes and with the help of one staff that spoke some english they were trying to tell me that I was supposed to arrive the day before. We went back and forth with me saying that I was not supposed to arrive the day before and them telling me that I should. I asked for Pauline who I originally spoke with and then I was told that Simon and Pauline have sold the Riad and are no longer the owners. Finally I produce an email that I had with Pauline showing my check in date was the date that I arrived and the argument that I was supposed to be there the day before ended. Now we were shown to our room which was supposed to be 2 connecting rooms. Then they said that they did not have a key to open the door to the connecting room which did not work with us since we have a 2 year old. At the same time we were discussing this our 2 year old walked up 2 steps and the apparent new owner yelled "NO, NO, NO....!" at least 10 times. We live in a house with stairs so there was no issue but the new owner freaked out over a minor issue. After about 5 minutes of asking if they could connect the rooms and honor our original reservation we were told no so we left. I have traveled extensively and am in hotels ~100 nights a year for work. I have slept in a mosquito net in the jungle and have stayed in $2000+ a night suites so I know where to set my expectations. My opinion is unless you are French you should avoid this Riad. I read all the previous reviews before booking about how Simon and Pauline went out of there way to make sure you feel welcome. Well, Simon and Pauline are gone and the new owners do not have the slightest idea on how to make you feel welcome much less honor a reservation. We went ahead and drove closer to Essaouira and found a great botique hotel so I am glad that I did not stay at Les Mille....I figure I am out of my 50% deposit that I wired to Simon and Pauline since all I have it the hotel emial...

Regards,
Mike

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Vila Nova de Gaia, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2011

We spent a lovely week in Essaouira in the company of friendly and helpful couple Pauline and Simon, sympathetic Rashid and the always cheerful Marius and Lilu (sorry if I wrote the names wrong!)
The tagines were delicious and the breakfast servedto the sound of birds that come to drink at the pool stays in my memory!
Thank you Pauline and Simon for a memorable vacations!

Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Been to Les Mille et Une Nuits? Share your experiences!