“Met great people, loved my room” 5 of 5 stars

Riad Zelaka
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   9 Rue Zelaka, Essaouira 44000, Morocco   |
Ranked #18 of 76 Hotels in Essaouira
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Met great people, loved my room”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

This riad is really cozy! So much so that on my 2nd and final night I decided to stay in instead of joining the action outside. The rooms are tastefully furnished, clean, and most important - warm! It started to get cold when I was there. Laure, the owner, and the two other ladies who work here are really friendly and will help make your stay as comfortable as possible - offering extra blankets, a radiator, great food.... Also, I'd arranged a camel ride before I got to Morocco, not realizing that it was overpriced. Hasna referred me to one of their contacts who does camel excursions at a much cheaper price and it turned out to be the highlight of my Morocco adventure. I loved Essaouira and I loved this riad!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

The renovations in the riad are beautiful, the room we stayed in was bright and clean and the bathroom and showere were wonderful

Good things
--Laure--she welcomed us and gave us a selection of rooms to select from as it was the slow period before christmas and gave us information about the town.
--The rooms are beautifully decorated and very comfortable
--Location--the riad is so easy to find and on a quiet side street.
--Great Wifi

Neutral--breakfast was ok...the coffee was weak and not great tasting.

Bad
--the service was mixed; when Laure was there it was fine, Laure asked if I wanted to have the mats for the chairs, but it was late in the afternoon and the sun was about to go down. I thought taking the mats out this should have been a daily activity if the sun was shining and it if was warm, which was every day we were in Essuaria.
--The rooms/riad was musty. On the sunny days the windows should be opened on the terrace to let in the fresh, warm air.
--breakfast should be served on the terrace if the sun is shinning and it is warm. I asked if it would be possible to have breakfast on the terrace and was told no without any explanation so I was too scared to ask again.

It seemed as if no one was ever at the Riad. When Laure was at the Riad, we were greeted upon return, but other than that it seemed as if the Riad was abanded.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

We stayed here in Mid-September and initially booked for one night only but kept extending and extending every day because we loved Essaouira and we loved the Riad and the people running it. Really can't recommend it enough. Room was great, loved the bathroom and the hot shower felt fantastic after a few weeks travelling round Morocco and showering under cold drizzle!

Matt & Linnea

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Lymington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I stayed here for 11 nights from the 29th of October 2012. I had a beautiful room, delicious breakfasts every day plus a couple of really incredible tradiitional Moroccan dinners cooked by Hasna. Stephane is the ultimate host and wants all his guests to fully enjoy the delights of Essaouira, Nothing was too much trouble for the team at Riad Zelaka and as a lone traveller this was a fabulous place to stay. I felt at home, relaxed and happy.

Room Tip: I had room 4 - lots of windows so lovely and light.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Prague, Czech Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Owner is Stephane, great guy from Nantes, France. We stayed two nights in his Riad which is quite new (after renovation), I think. And we felt there like at home. Good price for, nice rooms, good breakfast, wi-fi connection, is possible to use hotel computer for free... Stephane gave us a lot of information about Morocco, Essauira and people who live there. Ask him for advice where to go for a diiner and he will show you chaep but great local restaurant. Before you will go to sleep ask Stephane for a bottle of wine. He always has few bottles of great local wine :) If we go there again, we will definitely stay in Riad Zelaka again. Thank you Stephane.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

This place is great, nice and big rooms, the owner is from France and really friendly. We really enjoyed our stay there. The breakfast is really good, the price is quite low for such a nice place. We can really recommend it. Thanks for the nice time!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

i like this place i slept here 2 nights and tew owner stephane is a honest and friendly manager. it is a new nice guesthouse in thw center of medina. i am sure to back here if i come back again to essaouira. reccomended.
thanks stephen.

• Stayed November 2011

Been to Riad Zelaka? Share your experiences!