“Authentic Exotic experience” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #14 of 17 Spas & Wellness in Essaouira
“Authentic Exotic experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

My boyfriend and me went searching for a hammam experience and that's certainly what we got. first choice was Luxpa but we felt it looked like any London spa so when we found mounia we were quite pleased. On arrival we were taken to separate sauna/massage rooms,

I have to admit my first impression
was the lady leading me into this
situation was a bit scary and once I
was left to relax in the warm
dungeon like area I started to panic
a bit ( partly due to the
environment and partly due to
feeling it was a bit hot and I and
Currently 6 months pregnant although they had assured me it was safe ) after about 10/15 minutes the lady reappeared in a
swimsuit and started to douse me
in hot and cold water then led to a
marble plinth I was told to
Lie down and was exfoliated soaped
doused in hot and cold water and
massaged... I still felt a bit hot and
sick but the lady made efforts to
keep me cool and comfortable and
properly cared for. In fact there is a
feeling with this whole experience
that you are a child again being
washed and pampered !
When I was finally rinsed and
wrapped in a warm towel and led
out to the changing area I felt
wonderfully refreshed and
rejuvenated !
My only critisism is considering the environment I feel it was over priced and if you are of a more reserved nature the fact that the massage was conducted with the masseuse also being naked on the top half could make some people uncomfortable ! To me it makes sense being such a hot damp environment and actually hard work !!

Sesimbra, Portugal
3 attraction reviews
“Save money and try a real hammam somewhere else.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2010

First the good things: located very centrally; they have separate hammans and can accept men and women at the same time; and even better - they refund you money if you complain. In my case, it did not take more than two minutes to understand how terrible "hammam" Mounia is, and two extra minutes to get the money back. But, it spoiled my first evening in Essaouira. This contrasted greatly with our fantastic experience in a traditional baths in Marrakech three days earlier.

A short summary of the men´s side: strange entrance from another street; no quiet relaxation (tea) room; "all included" means that you must bring your own towel, or otherwise pay for it, and bathing trunks, even if they dont tell you about that at the time of booking; rusty and dirty doors and walls; no lockers and a changing room for all male guests about 1 sq meter big; strongly undermanned - 1 masseur for five male guests (two for six guests in the female division); not very experienced masseur either from what I managed to see; massage lying down on the stone floor; strangest of all, the warm room and hot room had been replaced by a single cold room (that is where I froze the two minutes I was in the "hammam"); the womens´ room was equipped with .... an electrical heater!!! to make it bearable to sit there; in fact the "hot" room was properly cold and humid, the all thing giving perfect growth conditions for cockroaches on the walls; expensive introductory programme (10 euro - 1 hour), considering that it is "nothing included"; guests that go for a full programme, pay three times more and get ... rubbing oil during massage, instead of soapy water; arrogant manager that claims that "he doesnt need cheapy guests" (i.e. those that pay the 10 euro).

I got far better service alone in my shower in the riad, for free and without the cockroaches.

In conclusion: if you were one of those that never experienced an hammam other than Mounia, please go and try a traditional hamman recommended by your hotel. By the same price you get heaven.

, Propriétaire at Hammam Mounia, responded to this review, February 28, 2011
Not all Hammams were created igual !

Dear Sir,

We must say that we are very concerned and alarmed by your comments.
We had a closer look at your statement and came to the incredible conclusion that it is not Hammam Mounia that you patronized.
As unbelievable as it may sound, you have been stricked by a faux-guide that took you to a spooky place in some back street of the medina, pretending it was the Reputable Hammam Mounia and here is the proof that contradicts everything you state and confirms our position !!!
- both entrances to the hammam are on the same street, 15 m apart, in compliance with Moroccan law
as we are an official hammam under the control of the Ministery for Islamic Affairs. Other places are called: Spa, Sauna, Massages or Bain...
- we offer a relaxation corner with couch and armchairs.
-The doors are of wood. Hence they cannot rust. The knobs are of copper that cannot hold bacteria.
- On the main board, both in French and English, we inform customers about the hammam etiquette. We lend, absolutely free of charge, trunks and towels should the case arise.
- the changing room measures 2.5 m x 3m
- 2 males masseurs are on duty and 3 female masseuses.
- we respect the 3 room system, one cold, one medium and one hot, both in the male and female sections.
- we use massage beds, 60 cm high, off the ground.
- introductory program starts at 85 Mdh, that is 7€ 60c for 45 minutes.
- we use the world famous argan oil and a selection of more than 25 essential oils for the massage.
In Essaouira, a hammam using rubbing oil should be banned from the community at once !
- we have installed a very sophisticated natural gas boiler to heat the hammam through a complex system of pipes in the foor. The temperature is electronically controled.

Please help us !We must, without any further delay, report the hammam that uses an electric heater ! 220V is strictly prohibited and this practice is criminal !!!!!!!!
And now, the good news:
Should you visit Essaouira again in 2011, please be our guest ! Who knows, you might even be the 150.000th client (sometime in 2011) and win the Super Gift,
after being treated as it corresponds in the hammam.
How about that for a happy end ?

Regards,
The Hammam Mounia Team
London, United Kingdom
“Men please be very careful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

My husband and i booked for hamman, gomage and massage at the reputed place. The female treatment was good HOWEVER MEN PLEASE BE CAREFUL, the man attempted to have sex with my husband during the massage element of the treatment. UNLESS YOU ARE LOOKING FOR THIS I WOULD SAY FOR MEN TO AVOID THIS HAMMAN.