“Beautiful riad in the middle of Essaouira” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #8 of 77 Hotels in Essaouira
Gavle, Sweden
“Beautiful riad in the middle of Essaouira”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

Beautiful and peaceful riad with extremely nice and friendly staff, always there to help you. The lounge is beautiful and realxed with a sparkling fire every night. The rooms are guite small, but clean and the beds are alright. Make sure you have heat, because the nights gets cold.

The food at this place is FANTASTIC! Don´t miss to eat here! Breakfast is very good, and booth coffe and tea is good.

Location is very good, just a few steps from the main streets with all the shopping.

Magic Place to stay! And very affordable.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

Riad Malaika is absolutely lovely. Everything - the friendly staff, the lovely interior and the cozyness of the "living room" downstairs - gave us the feeling to be at home! The breakfast was wonderful and they served every day a slightly different meal! All the people working there were so friendly, helped us with anything we needed (recommended us many great restaurants, SPAs, etc.) and served us tea even late at night. All in all we had a wonderful stay there and we will for sure come back on our next stay in Essaouira!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

Although I have visited Morocco numerous times this was my first experience of staying in a Riad. My preference is for a purpose built hotel with all its practical advantages. So I have resisted the charm of a Riad. However if that is what you’re looking for Riad Malaika has charm by the sackload. The reason for the change of mind is that we wanted to stay in the Medina of Essaouira and that meant a Riad or similar accommodation. Hotels seem to be found only along the beach area which, in January, wasn’t appealing. Firstly the place is tricky to find. There is no motor traffic allowed in the Medina so the taxi from the CTM Bus Station dropped us at a gate by the city walls. My traveling companion is an Arabic speaker but he found it difficult to follow instructions but eventually someone actually took us there at the cost of a few dirhams. I think, if you contact the Riad in advance, they would meet you at the taxi stop with a handcart for your luggage and conduct you to the Riad. This is what they did (in reverse) when we left. Although it’s in a residential side street we realised the location is perfect, very close to the shopping streets and to the historic Marine Gate and ramparts of the Medina. From the street you enter a courtyard which is an atrium three stories high. It is charmingly furnished and surrounded by small lounge areas which also act as breakfast rooms. In one room there is a huge fireplace with a roaring wood fire which was very welcome as Winter evenings in Essouira can be very cold. My room was on the first floor which was just as well as the stairs are steep and the handrails, though beautifully crafted wrought iron, didn’t give me much support. My traveling companion’s room was on the second floor but he is younger and fitter than I am. My room was furnished in an antique Moroccan style with plenty of pierced metal lampshades which threw spider’s web shadows on the wall and created a romantic atmosphere. But the only place to sit was on the bed. Also there was no TV which I assume is de rigeur in Riads. The keynote colour of my room was red and my bathroom was a riot of red, orange and black mosaic tiles. My friend’s room was black and white and his bathroom was entirely black including the lavatory pan! We both had a bedroom window onto the street and a small window in the bathroom which acted as an air vent. I mention these because many of the rooms have bedroom and bathroom windows that open onto the interior balcony so, if they were left open, anyone passing by could look in. And who could resist doing that. Not me for a start. However these rooms were much larger than mine and were furnished with armchairs and tables as well as beds. I would recommend trying to book room No. 5 which has all the advantages. It’s on the first floor but has windows onto the street. It is large and furnished like a bedsitting room and the bathroom is in a relaxing blue and white colour scheme. The breakfasts are delicious and I was impressed that by prior arrangement we were given a full breakfast at 6.30 am on the day we were leaving. Finally there is a roof terrace. There’s no view as such except nearby roofs with satellite dishes and washing hanging on the line but I imagine it would be pleasant to sit out there in the Summer.

Room Tip: Ask for No. 5. The reason is explained in my review
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

This Riad is beautifully decorated and my room (no. 7) was lovely and spacious. The staff were very helpful and always had a warm smile. Breakfast was delicious. Highly recommend staying at this Riad!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

We stayed for 4 nights at the Riad Malaika. At first I was a little uncertain about it but it quickly began to grow on us. It is in the heart of the Essaouira within easy walking distance to everything. The rooms were very clean and a good size and very well priced. Breakfast was a hit and miss affair. The staff were friendly and helpful and arranged a trip out to see a local market (completely madness); a fromagerie; and lunch on the coast. Overall I would recommend this riad to anyone going to Essaouira.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

I spent 2 nights in Riad Malaika and everything was perfect, I came by bus from Marrakech and owners had made sure that someone was at bus station to show me way to the riad and transfer my luggages. I had booked rooms and dinners, and I can definitively recommend the dinners at the riad, great quality, very tasty & well presented , congratulations for the desserts!
My room was quiet and perfectly clean. All the riad is nicely decorated.
I would like as well to thank all the staff, all were very friendly and very helpful, always making sure that whatever I needed was done. I needed to get a ticket from bus station to travel back to Marrakech and they arranged everything for me so that I did not have to bother about this, this is real service!
The location of the riad is ideal , as it is in the middle of the medina and walking distance to the beach.
I enjoyed my stay in Riad Malaika and will definitively go back !

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Seoul, South Korea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

It was a beautiful, beautiful place, almost like a museum. Also it has a homey feeling with a kitchen on the ground floor and smiling staffs. The breakfast was wonderful. But my room on the 2nd floor was very, very cold in November. I wonder if there is a heating system available.
Overall, highly recommended - no need to look for sth else!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad Malaika? Share your experiences!