“1hr camel ride with tea” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Equi Evasion

Equi Evasion
Village of Diabat (3km from Essaouira) | Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region, Essaouira 44000, Morocco
+212666780561
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 57 activities in Essaouira
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: HORSE and CAMEL rides on the beautiful beach and countryside of Essaouira! 1h, 2h (very special: on sunset), half and full day rides with picnic.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
uk
“1hr camel ride with tea”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I only chose to do this because by 5 year old really wanted to get a photo of herself on a camel, thought it sounded a bit cheesy but the whole family had a lovely time. Our guide Abdul was great, the camels walked across a beautiful deserted beach and when we stopped for a break there was a lovely picnic d
Laid out of biscuits, dried fruits and mint tea. It was definitely much better than I anticipated and a really nice thing to do with young kids.

• Polish first
New York City, New York
“Poor guide, temperamental horse..Probably better horse companies to go with...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I've been riding since I was 3 and always try to go for a ride whenever I'm on holiday.. I've ridden in lots of places from Nepal to Ecuador to New Zealand so am aware of the different standards of horseriding in different countries. I must say I was very disappointed with the 3 hour (1/2 day ride) we took with Equi Evasion yesterday. The driver picked us up to take us to the ranch.. half way through the drive he pointed at the guy in passenger seat and said he was our guide. The "guide" didn't even bother turning around to say hello.. we had to ask his name and introduce ourselves when we got out the car otherwise he would've just ignored us. My boyfriend is French so spoke to the guide in French which he seemed pleased about as he said he spoke no English. My boyfriend told the guide I was English though and knew little French and also that I had ridden before. Despite the fact that I even understand French the guide still made no effort to speak to me. I was given a temperamental horse who wanted to stay at the back and when we got to the open beach refused to move while my boyfriend who had very little experience was galloping down the beach with the guide. My horse got to the two hour trek point and stopped.. he refused to go any further even with a kick and a "Zeed" (Go in Arabic).. my guide then came and whipped him so he bucked a little before finally going further. The guide spent the whole time talking to my boyfriend and made no effort with me so I was left most of the trip lagging behind. Every other tour we've taken in Morocco they speak to us in English. My boyfriend said the guide was even speaking in broken French. I personally think it's irresponsible and dangerous to be taken out with a guide who you cannot communicate with.. especially for those who are beginners and don't know how to ride a horse. If anything happens and say someone loses control of the horse or falls off how would the guide be able to handle it? A 3 hour trip or even 2 hour trip is unnecessary as the ride back to the ranch is through the "forest and dunes" which is not scenic. I would only advise people to take the 1 hour beach trip just to see the beach around Diabat which is pretty. To be honest there is a ranch right next door called Ranch de Diabat which looked a lot more professional. If the guide was more friendly and spoke a little English then I would recommend the 1hour beach ride for the scenery.

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
“Wonderful ride on the coast of Africa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

My wife and I are not regular riders, but after this trip to Africa we are going to be.

We had two excellent rides (2hours each) along the coast, in the forest and through the sand dunes. The Guides were excellent and the horses well trained. We loved it. I have had ridden a lot as a young boy, but not much for the last 40 years. It all came back quickly. There are are few things to compare in life to cantering along the coast for 2 kilometer stretches..

We will be back there and plan to book a 6 day treck to Agradir!!! (check the song Ride to Agradir by Mike Batt.)

Thanks to the Riad Baladin in Essouaira, for arranging this for us. This was our most favourite Riad/ hotel in Morocco. Clean, friendly, great rooms, wonderful staff, nice terrace and great breakfast.

Ashby de la Zouch, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
“Could have been great but tour guide not the best”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

This trip should have been incredible. We went horse riding and stayed in a Berber tent for the night. We were given a very brief introduction to the horses and before we knew it we were trotting & galloping down the beach. I think this trip would be much better if you spoke Arabic or French as our tour guide spoke very broken English. It made it a little uncomfortable and we felt as if the tour guide didn't really want to be there and would prefer texting on his phone / speaking to other mates. He didn't give one single instruction to my friend who had never rode a horse before and it didn't feel 100% focused on safety as it should have been. There were some highlights - we had good food, watched the camels roam, saw the sunset on the beach and the guys played music to us around the campfire. We played games in the tent and had good fun at points. I think we were let down by having a young tour guide who would have probably have preferred to have been out with his mates.

Visited March 2013
Equievasion, Manager at Equi Evasion, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Hello,
thanks for your review! We are always happy to get direct feedback form our clients and so we can take your mentionned points to retrain our staff.
We give young people from the village a chance to learn and work. Our guides do handle the horses well and get into good contact with our clients. I do agree that being on the phone too much is not adequate, (being out, sometimes they have to communicate to arrange with the colleagues at the stables, of course!), I am sorry about that.
Our guide is in process with learning English and he is continously improving. The horses are all well trained and the guide has a control on them, so savety is given: You have to be aware that riding remains a risk sport nevertheless, this is why we provide you with riding helmets and do employ good materials.
I am happy to hear that you liked the campside and the food and I hope you enjoyed the ride with camping and the beautiful nature though. Sunny greetings from Essaouira!
Shrewsbury, England, United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
“Real adventure including sharing the tent with a baby goat!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Two British females in their thirties, we chose equievasion due to great reviews in tripadvisor and the speedy, helpful and professional response from Claudia. We were the only people booked onto a 3 hour afternoon and overnight stay in Berber tent with camels and felt very lucky to be so as we heard sometimes the tents can be abit busy and it was great we didn't have to share with any snorers!!

Two camels... One each, my friend had Boris (after Boris Johnson) a rather lazy albino and I had the rescued from nomads Imil who was very characterful and did not want to be second in the train!!! We went through dunes and along the beach and past the famous castle in the sand. Not realising we were getting quite as sun blasted as we were, I advise plenty of sunscreen especially on your nose!!! Our guide made us feel very safe and comfortable... In fact the camels are much more comfortable to ride than I remember and I loved the rag rugs on their backs! We arrived at a very sweet little Berber tent decked out with plenty of mattresses, sleeping bags, blankets and cushions and enjoyed a mint tea and loads of yummy sweet pastries... And met a very inquisitive baby goat who had lost its mum! After taking photos of the subset we were treated to a delicious bowl of soup and chicken tagine with a glass of wine and then
Entertained by the camp fire with evocative local music played by some of the staff who appeared as if from nowhere! After a good nights sleep we enjoyed our breakfast before getting back on the camels for our short trip back to the stables and drive back to town. A must-do in essaouira, we were so glad we chose an overnight trip rather than just a day trip... It was a great introduction to the culture and lots if fun. Quad biking a couple of days late we saw Boris and Imil again... I felt somewhat jealous that someone else was riding 'my camel'! Clearly I'd become quite attached! I think it is easy to see why. Thanks so much for a fab trip!