“GREAT VALUE, AWESOME VIEW, NICE STAFF (No airconditioner, but don´t need it in October)” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Miramar

You added Hotel Miramar to your Saves list
Hotel Miramar
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   20, Bd Med 5, Essaouira, Morocco   |
Ranked #95 of 168 Essaouira B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

We were very happy with this hotel which is above Moroccan standards. Is a new and neat boutique hotel that is very nicely decorated. The hotel faces the Essaouira Coast and although the room did not have air conditioner, we did not need it in October. We just opened the balcony door to fall sleep to the sound of the ocean waves, which was fantastic! The room was clean although we did encounter some mold in the shower that we asked them to clean and they did. For some reason they clean the rooms and the hotel well but somehow not so well the showers, as they showed us another room and the shower of this one was worse than the first one, so we opted it to have the first ones cleaned by the staff. The breakfast buffet was satisfactory. Would stay here again.

Tip for Moroccan tourists: I don´t recommend making reservations in advance. I recommend asking the staff to show you a room first prior to checking-in at any hotel that may interest you once you arrive at your destination. We were so happy that we proceeded this way around the country as the Moroccan standards are quiet poor (Note: We drove oursevelves around the country). In Morocco A 5 star hotel is really a 3 and a 3 is a 0.

Room Tip: Check your room prior to check-in. That is, inspect the shower for mold and ask to have it clean if...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Hendrik Ido Ambacht, Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

We got here during our roundtrip in Morocco for a 2 night stay in Essaouira.
Wow. The room was enormous. It was very clean. Even the bathroom (which tends to differ in cleanness in Morocco) was spottless.
The food and service of the restaurant was great.
The location if fantastic an even if you don't want to go to the sea you can jump in the indoor pool or sunbath on the sunbathing deck.
They play nice chill music in the hallways which is funny and nice at the same moment.
There only this strange smell in our hallway, like a cat had done the nr 2 somewhere in the corner. It hung there for 2 days.
We had a very nice stay, thank you!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

We got stuck in an AWFUL hotel in Essaouria: Hotel Sahara. There were things biting us in the bed and everything was yucky and dirty, with no hot water and bad smells... Unfortunately, we had booked and paid for a week, and being Morocco, we couldn't get our money back... We stuck it out for 4 nights and then moved to Hotel Miramar. Talk about a different world! : lovely clean sheets, a great shower, a wonderful view out over the beach. We sat on the little balcony and I cried as the relief was so intense... We certainly enjoyed this hotel to the full. The indoor swimming pool was great for lots of quick swims and we thoroughly enjoyed the breakfast, with fresh orange juice and yummy bread etc. I would definitely recommend this hotel. Get a room with a sea view and get the most out of Essaouira!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2011

Two colleagues and myself arrived in Essaouria having decided to escape Marrakech for the night, it was raining very heavily, and we walked from hotel to hotel being turned away at most.

We tried the Miramar, walking in looking lets say less than respectable, wearing tatty clothes we had been wearing on the construction site, and drenched right through. The receptionist was wonderful (spoke perfect English), and put the three of us in a room for an excellent price. We had neglected to bring our passports with us (which most Moroccan hotels require) yet she wavered this.

The room was very clean and tidy, the beds were excellent, and a very clean bathroom. Just what we needed after walking around in the rain looking for hotels for over an hour. The room included a buffet breakfast, which was great.

The hotel is in a great location, right on the beach front, close by to some nice restaurants and cafes. Medina is not far away, neither is the bus station.

All in all, a nice tidy clean hotel, perfect for any visit to Essaouira.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Geneva
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

Spent four wonderful nights in this rather small, low profile, right on the beach, Morrocan-run structure. As indicated in previous reviews, the road may be noisy during busy months, but in January it was very quiet. And if you put this in perspective with the view you have from the balconey, it's nothing.
The booking was extremely easy, through their website and subsequently by phone, they didn't need any credit card number. I liked the bed (excellent quality), the breakfast, the private beach, the fact that the hotel is only 7 min walk from the medina, the very friendly and smiling staff. Frankly, for the price I paid (about 50 euros a night in BB for a room with a very large bed and the view on the ocean), I wouldn't have complained about the lightly strange smell in the bathroom (unavoidable when you are by the sea I guess).
If I go back to Essaouira, I definitively go back there, as staying in a riad is rather pointless in Essaouira if you cannot listen to the most beautiful music ever when you go to bed: waves of the ocean breaking on the shore...

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2010

It is 5 minute walk along the beach to the Walled town. Cleaner than many similar Moroccan hotels. Definitely the best breakfast of the the 10 hotels I was at in Morocco.
Other than the roosters crowing a perfect stay.
Wifi only in the lobby. I would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed October 2010
glasgow
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

I stayed there for 4 nights in one of the seaview rooms. Rooms must be checked properly particularly to check if the showers are working well before accepting it. I did that and got a good room with an absolutely stunning view. But remember it can become noisy particularly in the evenings with hundreds of locals out in the coast enjoying life until 1am in the morning. But this is not unique to this hotel, it would apply to all the hotels lined up along this coast. Having said that, I did not see it as a major issue. I didn't like their food (lunch) or their breakfast which I thought was a torture. Although not a swimmer, I thought that the swimming pool was not exactly that clean or well maintained. The water didn't look fresh nor did the pool. But the room was clean and comfortable, cleaned every day without fail. The most important thing for me was my last day of stay when I got ill. One of the waiters really took good care of me when he realised that I was ill and had to travel. He gave me cumin powder to take with water which made a huge difference to my upset stomach (which I contracted from another place) and he also carried my breakfast to my room. He was absolutely kind and so were all the staff who were working there including the receptionists. I got a good hammam there but it didn't make a difference to my skin contrary to other people's experience.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Miramar? Share your experiences!