“Miramar-our saviour!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #98 of 174 Essaouira B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Miramar-our saviour!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

We got stuck in an AWFUL hotel in Essaouria: Hotel Sahara. There were things biting us in the bed and everything was yucky and dirty, with no hot water and bad smells... Unfortunately, we had booked and paid for a week, and being Morocco, we couldn't get our money back... We stuck it out for 4 nights and then moved to Hotel Miramar. Talk about a different world! : lovely clean sheets, a great shower, a wonderful view out over the beach. We sat on the little balcony and I cried as the relief was so intense... We certainly enjoyed this hotel to the full. The indoor swimming pool was great for lots of quick swims and we thoroughly enjoyed the breakfast, with fresh orange juice and yummy bread etc. I would definitely recommend this hotel. Get a room with a sea view and get the most out of Essaouira!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2011

Two colleagues and myself arrived in Essaouria having decided to escape Marrakech for the night, it was raining very heavily, and we walked from hotel to hotel being turned away at most.

We tried the Miramar, walking in looking lets say less than respectable, wearing tatty clothes we had been wearing on the construction site, and drenched right through. The receptionist was wonderful (spoke perfect English), and put the three of us in a room for an excellent price. We had neglected to bring our passports with us (which most Moroccan hotels require) yet she wavered this.

The room was very clean and tidy, the beds were excellent, and a very clean bathroom. Just what we needed after walking around in the rain looking for hotels for over an hour. The room included a buffet breakfast, which was great.

The hotel is in a great location, right on the beach front, close by to some nice restaurants and cafes. Medina is not far away, neither is the bus station.

All in all, a nice tidy clean hotel, perfect for any visit to Essaouira.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Geneva
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

Spent four wonderful nights in this rather small, low profile, right on the beach, Morrocan-run structure. As indicated in previous reviews, the road may be noisy during busy months, but in January it was very quiet. And if you put this in perspective with the view you have from the balconey, it's nothing.
The booking was extremely easy, through their website and subsequently by phone, they didn't need any credit card number. I liked the bed (excellent quality), the breakfast, the private beach, the fact that the hotel is only 7 min walk from the medina, the very friendly and smiling staff. Frankly, for the price I paid (about 50 euros a night in BB for a room with a very large bed and the view on the ocean), I wouldn't have complained about the lightly strange smell in the bathroom (unavoidable when you are by the sea I guess).
If I go back to Essaouira, I definitively go back there, as staying in a riad is rather pointless in Essaouira if you cannot listen to the most beautiful music ever when you go to bed: waves of the ocean breaking on the shore...

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2010

It is 5 minute walk along the beach to the Walled town. Cleaner than many similar Moroccan hotels. Definitely the best breakfast of the the 10 hotels I was at in Morocco.
Other than the roosters crowing a perfect stay.
Wifi only in the lobby. I would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed October 2010
glasgow
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

I stayed there for 4 nights in one of the seaview rooms. Rooms must be checked properly particularly to check if the showers are working well before accepting it. I did that and got a good room with an absolutely stunning view. But remember it can become noisy particularly in the evenings with hundreds of locals out in the coast enjoying life until 1am in the morning. But this is not unique to this hotel, it would apply to all the hotels lined up along this coast. Having said that, I did not see it as a major issue. I didn't like their food (lunch) or their breakfast which I thought was a torture. Although not a swimmer, I thought that the swimming pool was not exactly that clean or well maintained. The water didn't look fresh nor did the pool. But the room was clean and comfortable, cleaned every day without fail. The most important thing for me was my last day of stay when I got ill. One of the waiters really took good care of me when he realised that I was ill and had to travel. He gave me cumin powder to take with water which made a huge difference to my upset stomach (which I contracted from another place) and he also carried my breakfast to my room. He was absolutely kind and so were all the staff who were working there including the receptionists. I got a good hammam there but it didn't make a difference to my skin contrary to other people's experience.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2010

The hotel is fairly new. Beautiful lobby with nicely appointed rooms. It is located outside of the medina, but conveniently close to walk. We took a seaview room and had a great sleep in the very comfortable twin beds.

The hotel staff was very nice, but I am afraid they are taking a very short-sighted view to the necessary maintenance. The sliding glass doors lead to a nice balcony but the seals are worn down allowing for a very annoying whistle when the wind kicks up (which is very often in this town). Also, the bathroom shower was in very bad disrepair...I found it amusing when the very attentive staff came to look at the shower and proclaimed it "fixed" when it was obviously still leaking very badly to the point of being unusable. At this price bracket, these seemingly little things can mean the difference between a great hotel and one that is just "ok".

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2010

If you are ready to stay someplace outside a walled city for a change this is a great place to do it. The hotel is right across the street from the beach and the balcony off of our room was a great place to watch people walk on the boardwalk and beach and watch the sun set. Still close enough to walk to the walled city to the north or down to watch the camel and/or horse races on the beach to the south. The room was clean, comfortable and staff were very nice. The private beach area was an added plus as was the free wi-fi.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple