“Zaalouk and lamb tajine with almonds and dates” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 58 activities in Essaouira
Type: Educational Sites
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: At the entrance of the old medina, in a former almond warehouse, l'Atelier Madada welcomes you under its stone arches. By small groups (8 persons maximum) and supervised by a professional team (a cook and a trilingual presenter) our hosts discover the secrets of Moroccan gastronomy and are initiated into the delights of one of the best cuisine in the world. In a friendly and casual atmosphere, those half-day workshops teach each participant how to prepare a full traditional meal that one can then easily reproduce at home.
Budapest, Hungary
“Zaalouk and lamb tajine with almonds and dates”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

It was fun, I was the only male (35) who participated in the course, the fellow cookers were a group of six Australian ladies and a lady from the US :-). Mona, the chef is a strict ;-) - but at the same time - kind teacher, Allison, the translator knows a lot about the Moroccan cuisine, we were provided a lot of pieces of "insider" information, e.g. why to wait with whitening almonds till cooking in Essaouira. The knives at the cooking school could be somewhat sharper, however since, as we were told, in a Moroccan home there is one single small knife and all the cooking is done with it, by no means it can be a valid complaint. I got tricked during lunch :-) as after having eaten the zaalouk I prepared, first I was served some raw vegetables in a tagine that looked identical to mine and then I got my real tagine with my lamb tagine with the almonds and dates, the food was deliciious. The visit to one of the spice shops of the souk was really cool, I had a great time in l'Atelier Madada ;-).

Porthcawl, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
“Brilliant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Much to my mother's disappointment, I'm not a keen cook, but I thought I would give L'Atelier Madada a try while my husband was windsurfing. What a fun and fascinating day! In a small group, we were talked through every step of our recipes (with the chef talking in French and an English translation provided), including the preparation of all of our ingredients and facts about what we were cooking. While our food was cooking we were taken on a trip to the spice market which was fascinating and gave us some really useful insights into the ingredients available and hints and tips for buying. The food we cooked was delicious, and the recipes emailed to us so we didn't have to try and remember everything on the day. I've made my dishes a couple of times in the few weeks since we we got home and they've worked really well. My mother will be proud!

Toronto
11 attraction reviews
“Chop & Dice . . .”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

A very professionally-run cooking class. An excellent chef – Mona - leads the lesson in French with Allison providing the English translation. She also took us spice shopping while lunch was cooking. It was a lot of fun overall. Recommended.

Tamworth
“l'Atelier Madada - excellent class”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I am just going to confirm everything everyone said, the class was fantastic. I had initial reservations about the price, but it was worth every penny.

Kent
9 attraction reviews
“Fantastic experiance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

This was the highlight of our holiday this year. Really enjoyed this day, Mona was great and got our personalities straight way, I am not good a sticking to recipes and she soon sorted that out. Alyson was a fantastic translator and conveyed humour as well and technical information. The facilities were excellent and very clean. The meal we cooked was really tasty, by far the best we had all week. Would sincerely recommend this experience to anyone visiting Essaouira, next year we will be doing the pastry course!

Visited April 2013