“Brilliant!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 49 things to do in Essaouira
More attraction details
Owner description: At the entrance of the old medina, in a former almond warehouse, l'Atelier Madada welcomes you under its stone arches. By small groups (8 persons maximum) and supervised by a professional team (a cook and a trilingual presenter) our hosts discover the secrets of Moroccan gastronomy and are initiated into the delights of one of the best cuisine in the world. In a friendly and casual atmosphere, those half-day workshops teach each participant how to prepare a full traditional meal that one can then easily reproduce at home.
Porthcawl, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
“Brilliant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Much to my mother's disappointment, I'm not a keen cook, but I thought I would give L'Atelier Madada a try while my husband was windsurfing. What a fun and fascinating day! In a small group, we were talked through every step of our recipes (with the chef talking in French and an English translation provided), including the preparation of all of our ingredients and facts about what we were cooking. While our food was cooking we were taken on a trip to the spice market which was fascinating and gave us some really useful insights into the ingredients available and hints and tips for buying. The food we cooked was delicious, and the recipes emailed to us so we didn't have to try and remember everything on the day. I've made my dishes a couple of times in the few weeks since we we got home and they've worked really well. My mother will be proud!

Toronto
13 attraction reviews
“Chop & Dice . . .”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

A very professionally-run cooking class. An excellent chef – Mona - leads the lesson in French with Allison providing the English translation. She also took us spice shopping while lunch was cooking. It was a lot of fun overall. Recommended.

Tamworth
“l'Atelier Madada - excellent class”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I am just going to confirm everything everyone said, the class was fantastic. I had initial reservations about the price, but it was worth every penny.

Kent
9 attraction reviews
“Fantastic experiance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

This was the highlight of our holiday this year. Really enjoyed this day, Mona was great and got our personalities straight way, I am not good a sticking to recipes and she soon sorted that out. Alyson was a fantastic translator and conveyed humour as well and technical information. The facilities were excellent and very clean. The meal we cooked was really tasty, by far the best we had all week. Would sincerely recommend this experience to anyone visiting Essaouira, next year we will be doing the pastry course!

Visited April 2013
London, UK
6 attraction reviews
“A must for your stay in Essaouira”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I'd always assumed that my tagines were pretty authentic, but coming to this cookery class taught me a lot, and particularly all the errors I'd been making over the years. The French-speaking chef Moona and translator Alison do a really outstanding job of taking one through the intricacies of making a really authentic tagine, which isn't about blowing off the roof of your mouth with spicing or heat. We were also instructed on making harira soup, which is central to the ending of Ramadan. The key with this was ultrafine (obsessional, in fact) chopping of a mix of parsley and coriander which goes into the pot right at the beginning. I also learnt that putting the tagine in the oven is probably the worst thing you could do, as it's designed to cook on top of the stove, or best on charcoal. After a trip to sniff spice mixes in one the souks and a lesson in distinguishing good and bad saffron (good goes yellow when crushed), it was back to the comfort of the dining room of La Table restaurant to consume the results of the morning's cooking and to chat with the other would-be chefs. All in all, a really splendid way of passing half a day and learning a lot about real Moroccan food, and in my case, correcting mistakes derived from reading too many recipe books!