“Good food, great music, REAL PEOPLE!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 194 Restaurants in Essaouira
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Amsterdam
“Good food, great music, REAL PEOPLE!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

When I visited, the Berber band playing - 3 young guys with HUGE talent - were so good that I just kept on going back night after night. And I wasn't alone, so did many others until we all got to know one another - and the band. Set in 3 small caverns, the extraordinary music, the food, the wine, the shisha, the lovely staff and the VERY REAL soulful atmosphere all amounted to nights out I will never forget. If you can avoid joining in the clapping, the laughter and the dancing, well, you must be dead! Fabulous.

Visited May 2013

• Arabic first
Porthcawl, United Kingdom
“Great music, overpriced, average food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

We found the food here average and overpriced compared to some of the other places we ate in Essaouira. The restaurant is cosy and attractive and the Gnaoua music excellent, but the food was average at best. The Moroccan salad to start was good, but the couscous main course lacked flavour and was no better than I could have made at home. The toilets were blocked while we were there, and there was no soap to wash your hands, which really made me question the hygiene standards here.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Nyon, Geneve, Switzerland
“Best Restaurant in Essaouira”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Myself and my wife have vsited Essaouira several times but this was the first time we tried this place. Although there weren't many people when we arrived, the welcome was warm, the ambience was laid back and the food was just outstanding, excellent, incredible ... take your pick of superlatives. The aubergine caviar starter was the best I've ever had anywhere and the chicken tagine was cooked to perfection - also the quantities were spot on just enough without leaving 2 kilos of rice on your plates like in other restaurants. Also given how good the food was it was incredibly good value.

The musicians who played were good fun and really added to the experience. There is nothing bad I can say about this place. In my opinion it should be rated no 1 in Essaouira but I think that's only a matter of time once word really spreads just how good this place is.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Solihull, United Kingdom
“cosy restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We went in for lunch, was welcomed by staff who didnt speak much english - but made us feel welcome anyway ! We soon had the english speaking owner (?), who recommended a chicken tagine and couscous - melt in the mouth , lovely food. recommended !

Visited February 2013
Modena, Italy
“Go to Ramsess for home cooking and great local music!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

First of all you'll meet the lovely Zineb, who will greet you and tell you about her mother's home cooking. The meals were homemade and excellent, and very reasonably priced. They have delicious Moroccan wine by the bottle or glass. Daily fish specials and everything we tried was superb.

What really makes it a special place is the live music -- Rachid, Youssef and Yassine are a very talented trio that sing and play percussion/guitars and local instruments. Their music is mesmerizing and the beats have remained in my head now a week after leaving lovely Essaouira.

I really recommend that you check out Ramsess and experience the magic happening there! Really nice people, brought us back time and time again!

Visited March 2013