“Must-try - different camel experience than what we had in Sahara” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 71 Activities in Essaouira
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Type: Horseback riding, Outdoor Activities
More attraction details
Owner description: Zouina Cheval is a professional stable organizing authentic horse treks with nights in camp as well as horse and camel riding on the beach. Our trips allow participants to gain insight into the Moroccan way of life through contact with Moroccans and experience the unspoilt beauty and nature of the country. Rides from 1h to all day long on the beach. Treks from 2 to 6 days on demand. We will pick you up at your hotel and drive you to the stables.
London, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
“Must-try - different camel experience than what we had in Sahara”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

At first, I put low expectation no matter how good the review was, because I thought what would be different from camel riding in Sahara? But then, I was surprised because it was really different and fun! The camel was higher and more active, it almost feel like riding a very high horse exploring the lovely view of Essaouira's beach and villages.

Two highlights of the trip for me was when we cross the water (I didn't know that a camel can be so stable on such deep water!) and when the guide took our camels to run on the beach! What a fun way to end our journey in Essaouira! And of course I would like to thank the guide who was very patient given I have fear of height, I had to request to stop every now and then at first half hour of our trip. :D

Visited December 2012

london
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

We booked easily from home with this company as we were very impressed with the website and other testimonials. Our guide and fellow rider was charming, experienced, and great company for our two hour ride. He was extra patient too as the mist engulfed us and made the ride rather memorable. Sadly after arriving back at our hotel we discovered one of our mobile phones had been lost. We returned in the dark to the stable but they hadn't found anything. We had given up hope whe we were called by the boss of the stables to inform us that the guide had found the phone. He went out first thing on the trail and saw it. We were amazed to say the least. Use them!!!

London, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
“Nice Operation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Zouina Cheval, is passionate about its business and that business is horses. We brought a group of 7 and had a wonderful experience.

First, lets start with the management. As a travel professional, I realize that small operators dont have 24 hours coverage so I never mark against delayed responses. But Sophie somehow answered all my emails within minutes. Our group changed numbers until the last minute and she was very responsive; she was also very transparent by advising that when there was another group riding and what days would be best - with the decision being mine. Pricing was clear and good value - in fact great value. You can ride an ATV, Skydive, take a cooking course in Morocco for a bit cheaper than the UK or US but horse riding is definitely several degrees cheaper. This isn't because the horses aren't looked after properly, its just that at home horse care, feeding, housing, medicine is now all specialized driving up the costs.

For the ride we had several new riders and a couple of slightly experienced riders. The staff were considerate. While safety regulations are absent from a regulation perspective, I felt the guides had there eye's out and were mindful of the horse acting beyond the skill of the rider. In addition the horses themselves were well trained and responded.

The scenery on the beach and trails was very nice - especially in contrast to various medina's.

Like many Moroccan operators the guides did not speak English but only French. They had mastered enough for safety purposes and we were given horse commands in Arabic. Again this is normal and not a mark against but just advice.

The picnic was basic but good.

Tip: All our first time riders said that camels were more uncomfortable, less exciting, not as bonding, and very slow compared to the horses. If you are going over the Atlas to visit Mergouza or Zargoza then you will be riding a camel there and we would strongly recommend the horse ride here. If however you need your camel fix and this is the only place to do a short ride to the beach and back and then proceed with the horses.

South Asian Tip: The lunch is suitable for vegetarians. We had olives, cheese, fruits, bread and a "Pilau" type rice dish. For meat, tinned fish was served frequently. We are sure you can modify the picnic before hand if needed.

Visited November 2012
Moncton
“Best part of our whole Morocco trip!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

My husband and I did the 3-day/2-night horse trek as part of our two week vacation in Morocco. I am so glad we did!

I cannot say enough good things about Zouina Cheval and everyone involved. From the first contact via email with Sophie, to delicious suppers spent chatting with Najib, to being dropped off at our riad at the end, everything was perfect.

The horses are very well cared for, and not your average boring trail ride horses either!! Our guide, Najib was fantastic, the food was amazing and it was so lovely to ride into camp at night and find your tent set up, and your supper cooking. It was luxury camping, for sure!

My husband is a novice rider, and we did the whole trip at a pace he was comfortable at. Najib gave him a few lessons each day, and checked on him constantly to make sure he was doing alright.

Without any hesitation at all, I would definitely, definitely recommend Zouina Cheval for any horse-riding adventures you might be looking for in Morocco. I cannot speak more highly of the company and everyone involved. My husband and I would love to go back!!

Visited October 2012
“Good for beginners”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

My girlfriend and I booked a half day trek with a picnic in mid October.

We were dropped off coming from the south. At first we were a bit concerned as there were no signs from our direction and the drop off point is a bit random. We were greeted by a guy that spoke no English and he lead us through some back streets to the stable. At this point we were a little uncomfortable as nothing was explained to us. As feedback I'd put a little more effort on the greeting and signs.

Everything after the greeting was great. The guide spoke enough English to make things clear and a couple of very friendly dog made us quickly relax. Our horses looked very healthy and were well trained. My horse was called Hidalgo. The guide warned me that he was a little crazy, but I found him quite passive. He sometimes randomly trotted and was a bit stubborn but he was easily controlled. My girlfriend's horse was called Chocolate. He was also passive but a bit slow. He wasn't that keen on water and would often stop dead when water spread up the sand!

We walked along the beach and through some trails, it was really relaxing and beautiful. It would have been nice to have a few more instructions on horse riding but I suppose it was a horse trek not a lesson.

The picnic was very good, consisting of a massive salad and rice dish with fish, cheese, bread and oranges for desert. We couldn't finish it all so the dogs got a well deserved meal.

Overall the experience was awesome and I'd do it again.